Losing weight but nt inches,

Options
How it is possible to have lost 45 pounds and look different. But not have lost any inches, I still wear the same pant size and a slightly smaller shirt size,

Is there anything if can do to lose more inches?

Also random question..........why do I yawn when I work out?

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30lbs, and some inches in my hips and thighs (due to walking, I think). My belly is still big as as all get-out. I think it will be the last to go.

But as I continue to lose the weight, the inches surely have to follow.

Good luck!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    What measurements have you taken?

Speaking from my personal experience, you can wear the same size clothing for a long, long time, even though you lose a lot of weight. This tends to happen with larger sizes, especially when the clothes might have been too tight to start with. I did not think those first jeans would ever get too big but they eventually did.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Make sure you are weight lifting. To tone and build muscle do light weights and more reps. This will help reduce body fat and your body composition will change quickly. Just add to your routine 3-4/wk

Checkout Jamie Easons free 9o day challenge: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html great videos, foods, recipes and more!

Best wishes, Shan
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Are you doing any resistance training? I ask because about a year ago, I lost about 45 pounds and not a single soul in the world noticed. Why? Because I looked EXACTLY the same. I was keeping close track of my cals and staying in a good deficit but all I was doing for activity was running; no strengthening of muscles that had been allowed to languish my whole life basically. This year however, after returning to my starting weight (ugh) I've changed things up quite a bit. Now I do resistance and HIIT with no distance cardio at all and the results have been night and day. My clothes were literally falling off me by my 30th lost pound and my body looked a million times better. So if you're not doing any resistance, you might want to consider it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Like others said, what measurements are you taking? This question comes up occasionally, and often, people only measure their waist and hips. Sometimes thighs and biceps.

Measure it all. Your wrists, your ankles, your calves, your neck. Breasts, underbust, butt. All of it. You'd be surprised where you might be losing weight from and not noticing. The face is one that tends to lost fat quickly, and I'm sure you're not measuring that.

Otherwise, depending on your set weight, much of that weight could be water and--most importantly--fat around the organs. Many very overweight people will lose that weight before adipose tissue (the stuff you can grab around your butt and stomach). That's good stuff to get rid of--but sometimes people get discouraged, because it's not the most visual loss.

Thirdly, it could just be a body thing. Your shirt size changed, right? That's something. I have wide set hips--my pant size was only a size or two smaller at my incredibly low weight dealing with anorexia than my highest weight. A pretty big weight difference, but hardly a size change.

Judge your successes by how you feel, and if you can trust your perspective, what the mirror shows. The weight's coming off; you just might not mentally be processing the change in yourself yet.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    These factors may contribute:
    1) your genetics favor carrying bodyfat in certain areas
    2) your pants were too small to begin with

If you went down a shirt size, you have lost inches.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have lost 2 inches in just over a month in my midsection (at my bellybutton). I have just been eating at a deficit and going to the gym for the last 2 weeks. I do a Group Power class (check YouTube for more info) 2x a week and cardio 2x a week as well. Nothing special really.

No magic .. just some hard work, mainly at the gym.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Definitely measure EVERYTHING, as firstsip said.

It can make a huge difference in how you think you are doing. I measure everything and find that I am losing between 9 - 11 inches per month over all.

Also make sure you are weight training, not doing too much cardio, and getting enough calories. Too few calories or too little protein can lead to muscle lose & that is not what you want.