Useful quiz: Do you know enough to maintain by eye?

I just found this quiz from the NIH. I found it interesting because it shows the difference in portion sizes now and 20 years ago.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/portion/portion.cgi?action=question&number=1

More importantly for us, it quizzes you on how many calories pretty standard foods have and how much exercise you'd need to work them off.

Replies

• mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    this is neat but it would be more helpful if they displayed the weight of the person performing the exercise BEFORE you answered.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Very Cool! I eat a lot for work and this helps!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Fascinating! This is a great tool...thanks!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    It would also help if they display a food picture in line with the question. I've personally never seen a fast food hamburger as thick as the one they show. I don't think they mentioned they were referring to the average fast food hamburger, either.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    this is neat but it would be more helpful if they displayed the weight of the person performing the exercise BEFORE you answered.

they do, in the bottom right..it says based on XXXX pound person
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member

THIS!

I always over estimated how much I would need to work out and was over for how many calories in many of the items. SO I guess I would lose weight and not maintain since I over estimated 90%.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    It would also help if they display a food picture in line with the question. I've personally never seen a fast food hamburger as thick as the one they show. I don't think they mentioned they were referring to the average fast food hamburger, either.

Yeah. I stopped bothering with the quiz at that point. They're just using random stock images.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    I did very good at guessing the calories in the food, however not so much on the calories burned.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I did very good at guessing the calories in the food, however not so much on the calories burned.

Same here ^.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    It would be nice if you could input your own weight for the calorie burned...I have no idea, nor do I care how many calories a 130 Lb person would burn doing X, Y, or Z...I'm 180 Lbs. That said, I did pretty well estimating both the food and exercise..missed one food and two exercises and in both cases I erred on the side of caution.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Interesting, but skewed. It would be more beneficial if they said things like 'in 19xx, the average portion size for fries was <x amt> and today, in 2013, it is <y amt>' - how many more calories do you think that is? Or SOMETHING --because they show a crappy cheeseburger pix and then an obviously not crappy one and guess what, I can get the same McD's cheeseburger today as shown in the 'before' picture. I just have more options to be ridiculously awful to myself (or awesome, depending on perspective at the moment!). Sizes have definitely grown, such as a standard serving for a meal for a plate of pasta then v. now, but how they went about it just seemed like apples to tumbleweed comparisons versus apples to apples.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I got them all right except the hamburger, because that looks like at least a half pound burger in the picture, not an average fast food burger.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I barely got any. The turkey sandwich was ridiculous, 1000 calories? I regularly get one at Subway and it's never even close to that. Same with the meatballs and spaghetti, I have my 85g plus 3 115 calorie meatballs and it's in the 700 calorie range, not over 1000 like they said.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

Yeah. I stopped bothering with the quiz at that point. They're just using random stock images.

Yep, that bad boy was at least a half-pounder, which would be more like 800 calories. Portion distortion indeed - in their images!
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member

Same here ^.

Got all the calories in the food right....missed about half of the calories burned though. I kept estimating it would take longer to burn that much....