Can you gain weight by not eating after a workout?

Options
Hi. I am into my second week of insanity and I'm holding out longer than I thoughti would. I have gains about 5 pounds most likely by retaining water, but this doesn't bother me because I feel healthier and stronger every workout. I just have one question: the only time I have to do the workouts is at night at about 9 or 10 pm. I've heard that it is mandatory to eat right after a workout, but I've already had my meals throughout the day and im never hungry after a workout. Is it true that you gain weight by not eating after a workout?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You may "gain" water weight, but no calories in means no energy in, so no "real" weight gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    You won't gain weight BECAUSE you didnt eat after a workout, but you will not make as good of gains and may force your body to break down muscle tissue by eating nothing after a workout since you are sleeping a while after (fasting for many hours). This can reduce your calories burnt throughout a day. Any weight increase in weight noticed after a workout probably just is water/inflammation weight.