Foods and Beverages That May Cause Depression.

Options
Someone I know who was suffering from depression went to a psychiatrist because she was suffering from depression.

The psychiatrist gave her different anti depressions which didn't work.

He eventually told her to reduce her intake of sugar, wheat, caffeine and alcohol.

My conclusion from this is that excess wheat, sugar, caffeine and alcohol can cause depression.

Replies

• Ottawa_Randy
    Ottawa_Randy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about caffeine but knew about the other two (sugar and wheat).

Exercise helps beat depression.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Someone I know who was suffering from depression went to a psychiatrist because she was suffering from depression.

He eventually told her to reduce her intake of sugar, wheat, caffeine and alcohol.

My conclusion from this is that excess wheat, sugar, caffeine and alcohol can cause depression.

That is...quite the conclusion you've come to.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a depressant.

Sugar and wheat are food.

Caffeine is a stimulant.

And, I think we're done here.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You are scientist.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I must be trying to set a record for "most depressed person in the world, ever"
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Can you refer me to this psychiatrist? I think I'll be needing a prescription.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Major sciencing going on in this thread, my poor little brain is having a terrible time following it. :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Okay, what?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I burn calories jumping to conclusions all the time. It's how I stay so slim.

Eta... Ok maybe that was mean. It seems like a bit of a stretch. I mean... I can list off a whole lot of things in my life that depress me more than sugar and caffeine. I'd do better at eliminating those things before I go drastic and cut out coffee.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I must be trying to set a record for "most depressed person in the world, ever"

my caffeine intake alone will put me in the psych ward
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    kale is depressing.
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    alcohol is a depressant, one that I particularly enjoy however.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    kale is depressing.
    :angry: You beat me to it!
    Okay cauliflower pizza crust is depressing! :laugh:
  • FluffyKangaroo
    FluffyKangaroo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a depressant.

Sugar and wheat are food.

Caffeine is a stimulant.

And, I think we're done here.

Yes... Enough said.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I always took the depictions of Gin Lane & Beer Street (William Hogarth) to be 100% accurate. Drink beer it makes all problems disappear.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Can you refer me to this psychiatrist? I think I'll be needing a prescription.

Take two plates and call me in the morning.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My friend went gluten free and nearly cured herself of quite a few mental health issues. If she would stop drinking and eating candy she probably would be able to sleep a normal schedule and might be able to move past some serious issues she's been dealing with in the recent past.

But I'm sure she's a special snowflake and these results are just because of her specific problems. Obviously this is anecdotal and not scientific proof, it's just actual proof.

*eyeroll*
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I'm always sad when I run out of beer.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

If all of this was in "excess," perhaps she was depressed from the consequences of excess anything...?