Should i maintain and tone?

Options
Howdy all,

So i'm at around 140-145lbs now. 5'5, soon to be 23 female, small framed... My goal was 118lbs back when i was 5'3 a good 18 months ago, but i was re measured by my trainer and i'm now 5'5 =D. I think it has a lot to do with improving my posture.

I think to be center of healthy weight i need to lose about 15lbs-25lbs but i'm actually really happy with how i look and feel. I still plan to go to the gym and keep up my toning. I have abs now =D but i want really buff legs.

Do you think BMI charts are very accurate and i should continue to lose? Or is it okay to stay around 140lbs?

Thanks MFP! I couldn't have done the last 50lbs without you!

Replies

• Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the BMI charts don't take muscle into consideration when giving you your BMI range.
    Honestly, mine says that I'm obese, and I have been told my many of my friends, family, and random strangers that I look tinier than what my weight actually is.
    I do a TON of weight training, and so I figure a lot of my weight is muscle there's no way I could be obese. I'm def. not in denial of the fact I should probably lose a good 15-20 pounds before I feel completely comfortable with myself but I don't follow the BMI charts anymore. I don't need something classifying me under something that I am certainly not, and neither do you!
    Your weight actually sounds pretty good for someone your height, but its all about how YOU feel, not by what others say, or by a chart that is based off of an "Average person". Lets me real. None us are going to meet the "Average person" characteristics since we're all different. I don't even know why people still use that chart.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck though :) I hope you figure out what you want to do!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I will give you one little piece of advice for toned legs. In addition to whatever else you find, read up on isometrics. I've been doing them exclusively and it's done more to the shape of my legs than machines ever did. It's truly incredible and confusing at the same time.
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    Regarding BMI charts; they are accurate for MOST of society. People who lift will have more muscle and thus weigh more. I spoke to a doctor who said they can tell who is in shape and who isn't.
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the BMI charts don't take muscle into consideration when giving you your BMI range.
    Honestly, mine says that I'm obese, and I have been told my many of my friends, family, and random strangers that I look tinier than what my weight actually is.
    I do a TON of weight training, and so I figure a lot of my weight is muscle there's no way I could be obese. I'm def. not in denial of the fact I should probably lose a good 15-20 pounds before I feel completely comfortable with myself but I don't follow the BMI charts anymore. I don't need something classifying me under something that I am certainly not, and neither do you!
    Your weight actually sounds pretty good for someone your height, but its all about how YOU feel, not by what others say, or by a chart that is based off of an "Average person". Lets me real. None us are going to meet the "Average person" characteristics since we're all different. I don't even know why people still use that chart.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck though :) I hope you figure out what you want to do!

Thank you!! It says i'm close to being overweight and i'm a size 8UK >.< So angry for trusting the BMI chart. My personal trainer is telling me to stop losing as much and try losing 5 more lbs over the next 6 months then maintain. Maybe he just wants to keep his job? Maybe he's 100% right.. I'm very confused haha. Thank you for your post!
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I will give you one little piece of advice for toned legs. In addition to whatever else you find, read up on isometrics. I've been doing them exclusively and it's done more to the shape of my legs than machines ever did. It's truly incredible and confusing at the same time.

Thank you =)
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Regarding BMI charts; they are accurate for MOST of society. People who lift will have more muscle and thus weigh more. I spoke to a doctor who said they can tell who is in shape and who isn't.

I agree..sort of.. haha :)

My doctor actually told me that I didn't look my weight at all, and that she could tell I was gaining muscle since I had lost inches all over my body when she took measurements. Weight lifting can do some amazing things!
  • ctalimenti
    Options

I agree..sort of.. haha :)

My doctor actually told me that I didn't look my weight at all, and that she could tell I was gaining muscle since I had lost inches all over my body when she took measurements. Weight lifting can do some amazing things!

Absolutely. They can tell who is in shape, who works out and who doesn't.
  • LorienAnduin
    Options
    The BMI charts are wack! They can be a guideline of sorts but don't take your body frame, composition, or structure into account at all. I have met people with enough muscle mass that they are according to the BMI MORBIDLY obese but thier body fat percentage is less than 10%. These people were very serious weight lifters true but clearly show that the BMI should not be viewed as an absolute rule.

This is my opinion of your current level of fitness and health. If you continue to exercise and make informed, intelligent, and healthy nutrition choices: Your body will naturally find a healthy weight for you.

In our journey to lifestyle change, we get really obsessed with all these numbers and it is really rather ridiculous. Most of us even call it weight loss, referring to these magical numerals that are going to change everything. Your weight is a number, the BMI is a number, your calorie allowance is a number, and even the exercise you do is measured in minutes, reps, or miles. The problem with this is these numbers do not indicate the quality of any of those characteristics. Your weight doesn't indicate how much is muscle or fat (and don't forget your body does need some fat, it is not the enemy). The BMI has the same problem. Your calorie count doesn't tell us if you are giving your body large amounts of good fuel or a small amount of "food" that will do little to nothing to help your body function. The minutes, reps, and miles don't accurately show the effort or quality of the exercise.

I believe that the real indicators you mentioned are feeling great. If you are truly happy, why wouldn't that be enough?
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    100% yes !! I can't imagine you being overweight by any stretch of the imagination at a uk size 8

Way to go for being so level headed on this, alot of us women get tied up with the whole number game I applaud you for being able to recognise you look good without the help of a silly scale
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    BMI charts aren't necessarily "accurate" because all they account for is your height and weight with no regard for distinguishing between muscle and fat, odd body shapes, etc. But they are a fair starting point and, if you're just starting out, they'll give you a good idea with little fuss.

Most people, however, eventually come to want something more informative than the height-weight relationship described by the BMI charts because they want to fine-tune their approach and have a better idea of their body composition.

Plus, while small, there is still a chance a given individual may not fit within the average model expected by the BMI system. But that's usually best handled not by chucking the charts out the window, but by saying "The BMI says I am obese / overweight / normal / underweight, do the more in-depth analysis systems corroborate this?"
  • africanstardust
    africanstardust Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    BMI charts are crazy haha...mine has always said I'm underweight, but I have big love handles and my stomach is not the stomach of an underweight person ;) If I look up my goal weight it's even worse, but I know that it's a healthy weight for me. The best thing is to go to your doctor, but also to stop at a weight that feels right to you. Everyone is different. And congrats on losing that much weight!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Mine says I am underweight as well. That made me decide to stop focusing on losing and start focusing more on toning/building. Plus I am on a medication that can cause weight loss, and the doctor will take me off it if I lose too much. Personally, I think don't think I am underweight, I am small boned and lean. But doctors go by BMI, so I have to stick with it too.

OP, if you are happy with the way you look, stay where you are! And congratulations! :drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    at best I could have been considered chubby or thick- but I don't think anyone's every looked at me and called me truly "fat"... but I've been 20-30 lbs "over weight" by BMI charts for years- even when I was working out 3 times a day- doing Army ranger training and was benching my own body weight.

seriously. don't put a lot of stock in BMI charts. they are basic- and old... antiquated. and based on a sedentary person.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Are you able to get your body fat tested? (And not with one of those handheld things or a scale, do calipers or spring for a bod pod) BMI and weight are just one piece of things. Body fat could give you a more meaningful measurement. If you have your head on straight (sounds like you do) you probably only need the mirror to tell you what you should be aiming for.

You can be "overweight" and be in fantastic shape. If you are working out, have energy, have good vitals, and your body can do the activities you want to do, then extra weight really means nothing.

Many of us have probably at least a 20 pound range in which we can be healthy. If I'm honest, for me the "last ten pounds" is pure vanity.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the BMI charts for me, I have a normal body fat percentage but according to BMI chart, i need to lose 46 lbs.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. As others have said, your weight is healthy, so it's whether or not you're happy with it.

I came here with similar stats (5'5" and 138lbs, though I'm a bit older) and wanted to drop 5-8 lbs. I ended up dropping 10-ish and am pretty happy at this weight. Personally, I'd either create a small deficit and lift weights and see what happens, or keep eating the same and lift. Then adjust accordingly.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would go as far as saying bmi charts are a waste of time and should be scrapped completely, according to them as a 6 foot 2 inch bloke my healthy weight starts as low as 10 stone,something i shouldnt be anywhere near is 10 stone, i don't have big muscles or an unusual body shape, in fact as a thin bloke if i got anywhere near 10 stone i would be seriously ill, i am currently 12 stone 11 on a good day and am thin as it is
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey! We're nearly the same! I'm 143 and 5'6", looking to loose around 12-15lbs, but I'm feeling pretty good here too :3