losing weight to feel better...the hard way

Options
As of today, I'm 24 years old, 6'0ft, 274 lbs. Over the past 3 years my weight has fluxuated between 230 and 260 range because of snacking too much and not caring about the essential foods to stay healthy. I want to get down to at least 200lbs and stay there for the rest of my life.

Today, I guess...according to the calorie counter, I'm under my calorie limit. Feel free to look at it and send me any questions,comments or suggestions throughout my journey to being fit. I have plenty of thoughts and stories to tell you as I slim down.

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Loing weight and staying healthy will be MUCH easier with MFP, Tracking your Nutrition & Exercise, and learning as much as you can about the Fuel your body needs.
    Having Friends here who are on the same Journey will make it easier and more FUN!!
  • Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    Your diet is really restrictive, which will make sticking to it very hard. Even your title says it all...the hard way. Losing weight does not have to be this hard. I would find some way to get moving, just get used to it. A walk around the block...I speak from experience...the beginning is just getting out of that rut and then it starts to feel great.

I think you coudl eat so much more food for the calories you need. The only thing I can really point ot is the Coke. I would switch it to Coke Zero...but that is minor.

What I did when I got serious was go see a nutritionist. I live in Canada and if you do as well, they are free in a hospital with a doctors referral.

If that is not possible, the people here are great, but go slow. I don't mean starve...I mean, you probably need at least 1800 calories a day (or more) but of good fresh food. :flowerforyou: The people here are a great support. If you want, you can add me as a friend and we can talk more...
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    Just to start:

1) Your daily calorie limit is too high. Anywhere near 2,000 cal a day is to maintain weight. You're obviously trying to lose weight. I would start at 1,500/day (without any exercise calculated). After one or two months, you can decrease to 1,200 cal a day (without taking into consideration exercise) but ONLY if you feel ready. You are doing in for the long run, not for the short-run.

2) For lunch, I would suggest either eating only the 6" subway and saving the other 6" subway for 2-3 hours after lunch OR not drinking 24oz soda. Maybe you can start off with only drinking 12oz of soda. But if you can, taking soda out of your diet would be much better. 240 cal is too much. If you learn to NOT drink your calories, it will help you in losing weight. I had to also learn that. It was really hard....but it really did help me.
  • sparkysprite
    sparkysprite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey BIlly! Welcome to the forum! First of all I want to agree with Dawn 2010 that you need at least 1800 or MORE per day of good food. Also, coke zero might be a better choice but little steps right? Starving yourself just makes you hungry and sets you up for failure.

A few years ago I lost 62 pounds on WW and did it by really restricting what I could eat. This worked short term but not for the long term as I've gained it all back , and then some. This time, its slow and easy with little changes that are easy to live with.

I agree that MFP will help you - so far, its helping me make better choices too!
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wow that is great that you are ready to make a change!! It will take some time, but I think if you stick with MFP, you will see a change and start to feel happier every week with your body! Losing even 10 pounds makes you feel great and will make you want to keep going!

I checked out your diary, and one suggestion I have is that you should try to start drinking less calories, like try to switch to diet soda, if you're not ready to eliminate soda from your diet. And Gatorade/Powerade comes in zero calorie versions as well, if that's something you really like. Just making these small changes will help, and just think: if you take out 300 calories each day from your beverages, that is 300 more calories you can eat everyday! (This is how I motivate myself to not drink sugary drinks, cause I LOVE food!!)

I definitely recommend that you don't eat too much less than your calorie goal, but try to exercise at least 5 times a week if you can. It seems easier to lose weight if you are exercising and getting to eat more calories. And don't get frustrated if your weight loss starts to slow down, because you will succeed if you stick with it!

Well I wish you the best of luck, and please update us on your progress! :)
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    And also, make sure you edit your profile and fill out your goals and motivations for losing weight, because when you go to your profile, it is nice to have a little reminder of why you really want this, and you'll stay focused! :]
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Just to start:

1) Your daily calorie limit is too high. Anywhere near 2,000 cal a day is to maintain weight. You're obviously trying to lose weight. I would start at 1,500/day (without any exercise calculated). After one or two months, you can decrease to 1,200 cal a day (without taking into consideration exercise) but ONLY if you feel ready. You are doing in for the long run, not for the short-run.

2) For lunch, I would suggest either eating only the 6" subway and saving the other 6" subway for 2-3 hours after lunch OR not drinking 24oz soda. Maybe you can start off with only drinking 12oz of soda. But if you can, taking soda out of your diet would be much better. 240 cal is too much. If you learn to NOT drink your calories, it will help you in losing weight. I had to also learn that. It was really hard....but it really did help me.

Hizara--Your caloric recommendations are NOT appropriate for a 6 ft tall male. Eating that little could eventually result in starvation mode.

Your comments about the sandwich and the soda I agree with.

Billy,

If you set your data up properly for height and weight on the MFP site, and set your activity level appropriately, and the amount you want to lose, you will be able to see the correct amount of calories to shoot for. If you want to eat more, you can "buy" some more calories with cardio exercise.

I agree with others who have said "don't drink your calories."
    Good luck.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I agree the 2000 calories seems like too much to get results to lose, unless you are going to commit to regular exercise. I tried twice to change my calories & exercise profile until I got it to what would work for me to lose. I have heard of people just cutting out their soda pop from their diet & have lost without any big change to their diet or exercise. Not only is soda pop high in calories, & high in sodium which stops you from losing also. It has nothing to offer nutritional-wise. I try to limit my soda pop & stick to diet ones that are sweetened with splenda . I find the ones sweetened with aspartame give an after taste & are not very healthy for you anyway. There are so many wonderful people on this site to help out & support & encourage you I know you will be happy you joined & find you will get the results you are looking for. I wish you all the best.
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    Just to start:

Hizara--Your caloric recommendations are NOT appropriate for a 6 ft tall male. Eating that little could eventually result in starvation mode.

Your comments about the sandwich and the soda I agree with.

Billy,

If you set your data up properly for height and weight on the MFP site, and set your activity level appropriately, and the amount you want to lose, you will be able to see the correct amount of calories to shoot for. If you want to eat more, you can "buy" some more calories with cardio exercise.

I agree with others who have said "don't drink your calories."
    Good luck.

Yes, you're right. Sorry, I forgot about Billy being 6 feet tall!!!!! :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hizara,
    Your doggie in the avatar is very cute!! As you might guess from my avatar and ticker, I definitely know canine cute!!!