Protein powder

Hi all I'm new here and I'm hoping you can give me some advice, I have been adding protein powder to my porridge I read somewhere that whey protein is for body building, I don't want to bulk up , I want to lose weight any ideas on which protein powder to use please thankyou in advance all x

Replies

• dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    I felt the same way and avoided using whey protein for a long time. I recently started with a trainer and asked him about it. He stated that you have to build muscle to help burn the fat. So you should add it, it will not turn you into a body builder. After a hard muscle building workout you should add extra protein to help the muscles repair. I try to use the powders that aren't too many calories since I am trying to loose weight.
  • rodmackeigan
    rodmackeigan Posts: 1 Member
    Whey protein will not make you bulk up, they have weight gain protein that has a lot of calories in it and this will make you gain weight. Protein is healthy for everyone, just like water your body is made up of protein so when you add more to your diet it is good for you muscles, skin, hair, nails, organs and so on.

As far as bulking goes, that's for heavy lifters and people on drugs, if your female then you don't have the hormones to build big muscles, unless you took drugs, Women just firm up and gain some muscle. Men also do not have huge muscle gains without taking drugs, it takes years to put on muscle mass if your natural and just an average gym person.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    This article talks about Whey protein; why we need it, why it's good for us.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/whey-protein

I like GNC Pro Performance AMP Wheybolic Extreme. I like the cookies and cream flavor. I only use 1 scoop (instead of 3 recommended) in a cup of unsweetened almond milk as soon as I'm done with my strength training for 20 g of protein. I like it because it's smooth and has a great flavor. I've tried other brands and they were gritty or had weird after taste.

It's somewhat pricey, I buy it by the bag for around $30 a bag and it lasts around a month. I found out about this brand by asking around MFP.

I believe it's worth it.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    This article talks about Whey protein; why we need it, why it's good for us.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/whey-protein

I like GNC Pro Performance AMP Wheybolic Extreme. I like the cookies and cream flavor. I only use 1 scoop (instead of 3 recommended) in a cup of unsweetened almond milk as soon as I'm done with my strength training for 20 g of protein. I like it because it's smooth and has a great flavor. I've tried other brands and they were gritty or had weird after taste.

It's somewhat pricey, I buy it by the bag for around $30 a bag and it lasts around a month. I found out about this brand by asking around MFP.

I believe it's worth it.

Why we need it? We don't need whey protein. Most don't need extra supplements for protein - .6-.8 g per LEAN lb of body weight is all that's needed.

453 grams of muscle contains only 100 g of protein. We don't need as much as we thought we needed - even body builders... Check out Brad Pilon's blog where they show a study of 3 groups consuming .7 grams of protein per lb of lean body weight - that was enough for a 13.5 lb. muscle gain in 10 weeks to those using steroids & around 4 lbs in the same time in non-steroid users.

That being said - when losing weight, it's better to go for fat or protein than carbs...
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    For me I eat loads of protein, I almost worry I get too much protein but it keep sme so full and I have very few craves when on a high protein diet. I've been using a high protein diet to lose the 35 I've lost so far, but do worry about if I'm getting too much. I stopped using whey about a month back because I was getting enough without it, I now only use it after a work out if I don't have time to make egg whites or something non carby and don't want to be tempted. It helps me a lot of that specific reason alone.

Good luck.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Whey protein is the most readily utilized, and with weight loss, you're trying to "maintain" muscle mass. I prefer the Syntrax Nectar brand, as it is the brand most recommended by weight loss physicians & dietitian. It also tastes great! The Vanilla Bean Torte flavor is great added just to milk (1 scoop/1 cup). The Caribbean Cooler (pineapple coconut) is good added to water, or yogurt. I eat Greek yogurt + Caribbean Cooler + Kashi Go Lean + edamame + fresh pineapple every morning for breakfast. For 600 calories, I get 80 grams of protein first thing in the morning & I'm not fighting my protein goal (>125 grams) all day long.