How can I stop late night and early morning hunger cravings?

i have mild insomnia and I'm often up until 10pm-2am. I frequently wake up at around 2:30 am-4:30 am and sometimes cannot get back to sleep no matter what. I eat dinner at about 6 usually and I've noticed before I go to bed at night, I'm really hungry. I figure it is ok to eat since, because of the fact that I get hungry at night, I intentionally don't reach my calorie needs during the day so I still have room to eat something light before I go to bed. I can't sleep when I'm hungry, for whatever reason. Unfortunately, I've also been recently experiencing uncomfortable hunger when I wake up at ungodly hours in the morning. A few times, I've gotten something very light to eat (i.e an apple, handful of grapes, or a cucumber, etc nothing heavy) or if it's 5-6 am, just had an early breakfast if I'm too hungry. But that's been just a few times and I'm trying to keep from doing that too often as I think I might gain weight if I keep doing that even though I eat very light and very healthy.

The real problem right now is, though, that I'm hungry and it's barely 5 am. I've been up since half past 3 and I drank water and am now having some tea, hoping that liquid would fill me up enough for now. It does for maybe 10 minutes and then my stomach begins complaining again. How can I fix this?

Also, I'm trying to maintain my weight, not lose it.

Replies

• Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    are you not eating breakfast in the morning?
  • luv2eat2013
    luv2eat2013 Posts: 428 Member
    i am a snacker and eat dinner early as well. hummmmm crazy at it may seem along with h20 b4
    bedtime have you tried chewing a piece of gum?
  • Not sure what your "diet" consists of now and, without that whole, "Show us your diary" thing, try increasing your protein throughout the day and make sure you get enough H2O during the day. I haven't had any protein powder in the past couple weeks and I have noticed the lower protein has made me feel hungry again at night. Also, maybe lower your carbs the later in the day it gets.

Just some thoughts/ideas of what works for me...
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    I've gotten something very light to eat (i.e an apple, handful of grapes, or a cucumber, etc nothing heavy) or if it's 5-6 am, just had an early breakfast if I'm too hungry. But that's been just a few times and I'm trying to keep from doing that too often as I think I might gain weight if I keep doing that even though I eat very light and very healthy.

Time of day makes no difference with respect to when you are eating. If you are within your maintenance goal you shouldn't be gaining weight. If you are hungry late and early I'd suggest that you change around your meals to fit it in. You can do some IF type stuff. Don't eat unless you are hungry... Why not skip lunch or just have something light then eat your dinner a little later and have another meal before bed? When you wake up you can have your 'breakfast'. Just change your meal timing to what works for you - no one says you have to have meals at a certain time.
  • Hi there, I know how you feel insomnia sucks.

I know this might sound a little bit stupid and preachy, but have you tried to space out your meals more? Or instead of having three meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner)...instead have 6 smaller meals during the day?

It's hard to go to bed when you're starving, and even worse when your body won't let you sleep, but please do try and avoid eating before you try to go to bed. The fact that your body might still be trying to digest what you've eaten when you're trying to get to sleep might also be a contributing factor to the reason why you can't, also all the food that you eat isn't being burnt off the same way as it would be during the day.

I think what you are doing by opting for fruit or a light option is good, but try and perceiver through it. It could be that your body has gotten used to eating at night that it now feels like it needs to even though it doesn't. A lot of the time hunger, or feeling hungry is psychological, I myself would say that I am very much a boredom/comfort eater.

I hope this has been useful for you, and I wish you all the best. :) x
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Gosh, that sounds hard.

Chamomile tea for the insomnia. Valerian root is even better, found at pharmacy or health food store.

Lowering your daily carb intake and raising your fat intake is likely to cure hunger pains.

Hope you get relief soon!
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    I would suggest seeing your doctor, it may be a hormonal thing or a vitamin deficiency or even stress especially it its happening just recently. I have insomnia as well and struggle with extreme feelings of hunger late at night and early in the morning and have yet to find a solution other than trying to fill up on a few extra serves of vegetables with dinner but ill admit i still feel hungry after. so will probs take my own advice and see a dr.

hope you find a solution!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Time of day makes no difference with respect to when you are eating. If you are within your maintenance goal you shouldn't be gaining weight. If you are hungry late and early I'd suggest that you change around your meals to fit it in. You can do some IF type stuff. Don't eat unless you are hungry... Why not skip lunch or just have something light then eat your dinner a little later and have another meal before bed? When you wake up you can have your 'breakfast'. Just change your meal timing to what works for you - no one says you have to have meals at a certain time.

this!
  • bump because this happens to me every night
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    If you are famished at 2AM or whatever early morning hour...eat.
    Have a small snack when you are up or eat a bit more during the day and maybe you won't be hungry in the wee early morning hours.

Maybe you are not really getting enough food. The numbers/TDEE/calorie goals/etc are just estimates. Try adding a slice of toast with a thin smear of peanut butter. Check your weight/measurement after a week.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    It would help if you opened your diary, you may not be eating enough.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Have you seen a doctor about your insomnia? I would suggest that first. Also, I know of some people that take melatonin in order to regulate their sleep cycle. I would maybe do some research on melatonin and if you're interested clear it with your PCP before taking anything.

From personal experience, if you are hungry, eat and log it, if you don't go over then it should not affect your weight loss. I do know that being sleep deprived can have a negative effect on overall health so getting your sleep cycle regular should be your first priority. IMO

*Edit to fix typo*
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Celery and Salsa is a good low cal snack and I dare you to eat a 100 calories worth and not be full.

I also sometimes make a protein shake using Casein protein, that’s the protein in milk that make you fill full. It works really well and I’m not hungry at all.
  • most times, I eat late. heck, I eat any time but I also try to drink a lot of water. So at night, if suddenly I feel hungry, I just drink me some more water and most times, it works. try that.