OH NO!!!!! Unhealthy junk food

Options
So Im a college student living with my family for this summer...and I came home from the gym to find that my family went grocery shopping for only JUNK!! :cry:

EXAMPLE: 2 bags of chips, fatty white bread & rolls, fatty hamburger, sugary cereals, twinkies, soda, 4 bins of ice cream..& more
:explode: :mad: :angry: :grumble: :noway: :cry: :sad:

I am of course....BROKE...because Im paying my own way through school so I can not afford my own groceries...what do I do about the temptations and how am I supposed to make healthy options with all of this in my face!??

Replies

• LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If your parents arent hard up for cash ask if you can go grocery shopping with them, maybe offer to make a meal?
  • Todzilla
    Options
    So Im a college student living with my family for this summer...and I came home from the gym to find that my family went grocery shopping for only JUNK!! :cry:

EXAMPLE: 2 bags of chips, fatty white bread & rolls, fatty hamburger, sugary cereals, twinkies, soda, 4 bins of ice cream..& more
    :explode: :mad: :angry: :grumble: :noway: :cry: :sad:

I am of course....BROKE...because Im paying my own way through school so I can not afford my own groceries...what do I do about the temptations and how am I supposed to make healthy options with all of this in my face!??
    Well, shoot, that's not what they are having for meals is it?!?! For today just avoid it, but see if you can go with them next time and suggest maybe getting a few healthy items. If they have the cash to blow on the junk food, I'm sure they can spare a few dollars for some fruits or healthy snacks.

I'd just be more worried about the actual meals they are preparing. You can live without snacks, but not meals. Hopefully their meals are more of a healthy variety then their snacks!
  • hatfields9
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was the same way during college when I would come home over the summers. I would come home from the gym or softball practice and there would be Oreos galore and a refrigerator in the garage full of soda. I had to tell them that since being on my own I had changed my eating habits and asked for healthy choices (and trust me you might get the "you want what now looks"...haha!) Most of the time they made me go along with them so I could pick out what I wanted to snack on, for meals, etc. and were totally cool with it. Otherwise, i would say watch what your eating a meal time and if it is something less healthy than you like, try not to over-indulge in it. That's the other lesson I had to learn. They make great food, but less of it still tastes just as good! Good luck!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    definately go with your family members and persuade them to make some better choices. you can suggest things for them as well as pick things out for yourself. my family would be totally clueless to what junk food is if i didn't go to the store and help them make good grocery choices!!
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    :frown: the only thing is my family knows im crazy picky about what I eat... and they never tell me when they go grocery shopping so I can actually pick out things :sad:

impossible! Ill try and just ignore anything they have..but its sooooo hard. They usually make bad dinners too...casseroles full of cheese, fried fish, fried potatoes, fatty hams, mashed potatoes loaded with butter...uuugghhhhh
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    your making me hungry could you make me a plate and save the chips for the John Wayne marathon do you have any coke.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    your making me hungry could you make me a plate and save the chips for the John Wayne marathon do you have any coke.

haha no coke but cream soda!
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    This is a perfect opportunity for YOU to teach THEM healthy eating. Let them know that their choices are only hurting them and that you care about their well being. It's time they change their eating habits. I agree with everyone else suggesting that you go with them to the grocery store. Tell them when you are going, and have them come along (so long as they pay for the food, though I can't imagine they wouldn't since they will be eating it). Cook them a healthy meal so that they can experience food that is GOOD and GOOD for you!! Good luck!!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options

haha no coke but cream soda!

I'm not a big fan of cream soda but water and chips don't go well how about some red drink or maybe purple