Do you eat all of your exercise calories back?

Options
13»

Replies

• amyelyseneer
    Options
    I don't yet. I know how the math works for the numbers now (I think) but so far I have only been able to hit that "You need to eat this much to fuel your exercise and not being dead hobby" number once, I'm usually under goal by about 200-400.

I am getting a little better, i am trying to have a more substantial breakfast, for instance, (this is having the unfortunate side effect of me skipping lunch cause I am just not hungry again til dinner time) but it is helping me get closer tot he goal calorie.

I'm not much help to your question tho, because I am not weighing myself, except once in a very great while (every 2 - 3 months) cause A) I don't own a scale and B) I am going by measurements

So I can't really say for sure if the calorie goal is affecting weight loss for me, BUT I have lost several inches off the various parts I am tracking measurements for. Hope that helps you with your question!

(p.s. I eat out a lot too, especially for supper, there's healthy things you can eat most places and some things you think are going to be vile piles of calories and fat turn out to not be, most restaurant websites list nutrition for their menu now, so you can pick out what fits your diet beforehand)
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is coming from someone who eats out occasionally and also from someone who has lost weight quite easily and also maintained for some time quite easily. So if you'd like more honest advice, let me know, but looking at your diary, etc. I kind of already know what the issues are.
  • Shaquana2
    Options
    I just started a couple of days ago. I eat some of my calories when i want to reward myself but i stil dont over do it because Ihave extra calories. But its hard getting those exercise calories off so i defintely dont wanna eat them. I wouldnt for the most part. But i think its up to you. Try a different alternative. Hope's this helps
  • kayei
    kayei Posts: 6
    Options
    I eat mine back, because I have my calories set to 1200. I currently walk 2-3 miles a day on average, so that's roughly 300 cals below what I need to eat. But I also vary my calorie intake up to 1500 a couple days a week (thats not including the calories burned during work outs) to give my metabolism a boost and so my body doesn't think I'm starving. Plus I have 1 cheat day on the weekend. I don't go crazy on that day, but I do eat what I want without worrying about it. I just track those calories, and I usually still go for a 1.5 mile walk on my cheat day, because I enjoy my walks.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think you would notice a huge difference if you started making small changes to your diet at first. Just gradually introduce more whole foods, rather than the sugary aspects of your diet. I did this and it helped heaps. Like instead of peanut butter or jam, I switched to piccalilli or even just a teaspoon of honey. Instead of ready meals, I make my own stuff and take it to work. If you have a microwave at work, then bring in eggs and scramble your own or dress salads in a herb, salt, pepper and lemon mix instead. It all starts to add up to healthier eating and you will notice a big change in being able to lose weight. Have a white coffee instead of iced tea or water with a bit of squash. Try Sainsbury's for healthier choices, like chicken tikka pieces with a greek feta cheese salad. It's still on the go and less than 400 calories. Instead of chocolate bars, try Belvita breakfast biscuits. I have those when I'm doing a heavy workout and even though they are still processed or sugary, it's low in calories.
  • Animetuc
    Options
    I simply use my exercise calories as a cushion. I don't eat all of them back I use them so that there is enough wiggle room for "seconds" if it comes to that. I always leave some unused to help with the EOW deficit.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ALso...I realized that people on MFP can't see what I see on the app.

I actually had a NET of 1267 calories yesterday. And made better choices.

(YES I ate processed foods. Because I live in the real world with a full time job, husband, business, etc.)

I will report back after next weigh in. :)
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes and No.
    I have a decent system set up for myself but I realize it wouldn't work perfectly for you. You could tweak it based on your height/weight.
    Because I am just shy of 5ft and I weigh less than 150lbs, I am one of those few people who is actually able to live off of 1200 calories a day when dieting. Depending on which site I go too, my TDEE is between 1750-1900 calories per day. I run or walk every day but I don't consider a 2 mile walk much exercise (I have a desk job).
    On days where I run (3-4 miles 3x a week), I eat 1350 calories.
    On days where I don't exercise (other than my walk), I eat 1200 calories.
    I'm never hungry but I'm relatively small compared to most people so I burn less calories running than most other people would. Hope this helps!
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I do.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    For anyone who is interested still...I was down to 163.2 this morning, which is 5 lbs lost in 5 weeks. I'm guessing that my .1 loss on Saturday was partially because of my sodium intake the day before. (Chinese food TWICE in one day.)

Thank you for your help. Looks like what I'm doing isn't that bad after all, since I'm right on track.