Just found out I'm pregnant...

Hi

Just found out I'm pregnant... so I'm wondering how on earth to use MFP to accommodate that and to help me reach what I should be eating calorie-wise.

I'm in the throes of morning sickness :( joy, so that makes it a bit tough trying to eat when you feel sick. Anyone out there the same?

Some friends and support would be lovely too. This was unplanned and unexpected so I'm still a bit in shock!

Thanks
H

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    There are a few pregnancy groups in the forums. Check those out. While you are in the middle of bad morning sickness, counting calories doesn't really do much. Find some foods that keep your tummy happy and keep those stocked up for now. It will pass. Congratulations!
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Congratulations! Personally, I had horrible morning sickness with all three of my pregnancies and weighed less on my delivery days, than what I weighed in at my first prenatal visit-it was horrible going through the sickness, but lovely afterwards because I didn't have any extra weight to lose (I had two 6lb babies and one 8lber).
  • congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Wow congrats!! How exciting :). Diet wise...I have noooo idea....but if I was you i would be asking for some professional advice to be on the safe side :)
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Grats to you! What a beautiful thing to hear on a Monday morning. The best place to start is your doctor and how many calories you need to maintain a healthy weight and healthy baby and Mom. Post some pics after the baby is born.
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Congratulations! During the first trimester, you don't need extra calories as long as you weren't eating at a deficit before. Starting in the second trimester, you need about an extra 300-350 calories a day. Since you'll have your first OB or midwife appointment before you hit your second trimester, he or she can advise you from there.

If you have morning sickness, it's generally advised just to eat whatever you can keep down. If that's potato chips instead of broccoli, so be it. You need whatever nutrition you can get. And, of course, if you can keep it down make sure you take a prenatal vitamin. Most of them have iron which can bother someone with morning sickness. If you can't stomach a prenatal, try a regular women's multi. And if that's too much, try a flintstones.

Wishing you a happy & healthy pregnancy & baby!

Edit to add: If you have morning sickness that never stops and doesn't allow you to keep anything down at all, please call the doctor straight away. That's a serious problem for both you and your baby, but a treatable one.
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Yayyy Congrats!! How far along are you? I am currently pregnant too!! 13 weeks today and I still use MFP daily!!! You can add me as a friend!! :)
  • 03melissa05
    03melissa05 Posts: 44 Member
    Talk to your OB. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. I didn't count calories during pregnancy and gained about 26 lbs. I exercised all throughout and stopped at the 9th month when I just couldn't do it anymore due to being physically drained. Focus on healthy and whole foods and you'll do fine. Congrats and good luck!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Congrats! I would say talk to a nutritionist and then after you have that info, set your goals manually.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    If you have chosen to carry to term and become a mother, the best place to start would be your first doctor's appointment.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Congrats!

General rule of thumb for pregnancy is to eat 200-300 calories above maintenance. But definitely consult with your doctor before you take any internet advice.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    When I had morning sickness, peppermint Lifesavers REALLY helped. I ate them constantly. Just a little tip. GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Congratulations! In terms of morning sickness I feel your pain. We got a new van when I was 6 weeks pregnant with our 2nd and the new car smell still makes me wanna toss cookies.

A couple of words of advice to get through this puky time - embrace your whites - white bread, white, toast, white rice, white saltine crackers. Oh, and peanut butter. There were many a nights I woke up in the middle of the night and had a spoonful. I kept it down and know why my kids are so addicted to it (especially your youngest).

Cheers.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Unplanned and unexpected? Could you elaborate? I mean, surely you had intercourse and are aware that no form of birth control (if you were using it) is 100% effective, yes?

Yes, that was helpful... :noway:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Unplanned and unexpected? Could you elaborate? I mean, surely you had intercourse and are aware that no form of birth control (if you were using it) is 100% effective, yes?

people that are surprised they get pregnant make me lol....just like people that say "oh, we weren't NOT trying."

gimme a break.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member

people that are surprised they get pregnant make me lol....just like people that say "oh, we weren't NOT trying."

gimme a break.

With my first, yes I was surprised when I got pregnant. I was travelling six days a week for work and every other weekend, my stepdaughter was at the house. At most, we got 2 days a month where it was possible. With such a small window of opportunity, I was surprised that I got pregnant. I knew it was a possibility, but that doesn't remove the surprise one bit.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Congratulations! Go see your doctor and ask all your questions there. You don't need to be putting on weight early in your pregnancy and generally you can do whatever exercise you've been doing. In my first pregnancy I was doing kickboxing training until about 5 months but quit because of the anaerobic nature of the training. In my second pregnancy I ran a few times a week until about 32 weeks along when my belly couldn't take it anymore. While you're sick... just eat what you can... eat what makes you feel okay. Many people swear by saltines on the night stand to eat first thing in the morning. Others will tell you to take a prenatal vitamin at night before bed because it can worsen nausea, so taking it during the day may make you feel worse.

Enjoy your pregnancy! Every baby is a blessing. Congratulations again!
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524

Thank you for your sex education. I'm sure that's exactly the info she was looking for. :noway:

ETA: A little sex ed for you. A woman CAN get pregnant by surprise. Certain antibiotics can negate bc effects. If the doctor or pharmacist does not explain this to a patient... well, you see where I am going. I'm not saying that is what happened in her situation, but it doesn't really matter does it?

OP-- Although a surprise, many congrats! I think that MFP will be very helpful during your pregnancy. I wish we had the luxury of internet when I was pregnant. I would have gained a lot less weight.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Congrats! When I was pregnant, I just used MFP to make sure I was making healthy choices. I watched my macros, making sure I was getting enough protein and fat for the baby. I also monitored calcium since that's important while pregnant. I didn't have a calorie restriction, of course, and it's best not to. You'll only make yourself crazy if you do!

ETA: For the morning sickness, I found that salty or sour foods helped a lot. Unfortunately for me, that meant a lot of pretzels and potato chips. Oh, and sour skittles hit the spot!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Keep exercising and Keep counting calories!

How much exercise and what your caloric intake should be is best left up to your Dr and yourself, but this is not the time to slack!

I've had 2 children and did better on my second pregnancy but wasn't fully committed and have been kicking myself afterwards.

It's about keeping your healthy lifestyle going no matter what- and to be a healthier mommy!

CONGRATS!