Am I missing something

Options
I was at the gym today and there was a group of guys loading plated onto a bar. Like 8 of the big 45lb plates. Then a guy got onto the bench, two buddies helped lift the bar off the rack and he moved it all of about 2 inches down and up, racked the bar and jumped up as his buddies cheered him.

Am I missing something? Was his 'success' an ego thing or did he actually accomplish something cheer-worthy?

Replies

• stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Sounds sketchy!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A bit of both, probably.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Who knows they may have had a bet that he couldn't even move that much weight. {{shrug}}
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Try it and see.
  • lukage1
    lukage1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i would love to have an extra two inches. and so would my wife!
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    It happens. Some guys are driven by ego and don't understand the ROM. It is still a lot of weight but I am usually much more impressed with a lower amount of weight and a full ROM.
  • rosaceous
    Options
    Probably ego. But, maybe he went on this whole fitness journey thing, just to be able to hold that much weight, and after a year and a half of hard work, dedication and sweat, he did it, with the help of his buddies. Maybe he used to be 450 lbs, and not be able to run a mile or something and that was his goal.
    0-0 Ignore me. Lol. I like to think the best of people.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    he didn't drop it. that would've looked stupid. good for him! :tongue:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It sounds like male bonding to me, and that is sweet. Go guys!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say it was rediculous ...if that wasn't so damn heavy lol If I could hold and push 405 lbs for even two inches I would be pretty happy with myself.

As it stands just breaking my elbows would send that weight right into my chest with NO hope of moving it.

That said, if this guy goes around now bragging that he can actually bench 405 lbs... he's a douche.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I see him at the gym every day I am there and that seems to be his routine... go to a bunch of machines/weights, load them up and do one or two reps with minimal ROM.

I dont get it... but im a newb... what do I know.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Oh, well while a 2 inch bench doesn't count for this, he might be doing HIT training. HIT guys believe that doing one or two reps near their 1RM is enough to stimulate the muscle.

From everything I've heard, and read, it's BS.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I think some friends were having fun at the gym today after a weekend where one of them was like whatever man, I bet you couldnt move that ish 2 inches - and then they all went together and laughed and had fun together, the end.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I think some friends were having fun at the gym today after a weekend where one of them was like whatever man, I bet you couldnt move that ish 2 inches - and then they all went together and laughed and had fun together, the end.

I would have thought that but I have seen him do the same exact thing 3 times a week for the last 2 weeks.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I see him at the gym every day I am there and that seems to be his routine... go to a bunch of machines/weights, load them up and do one or two reps with minimal ROM.

I dont get it... but im a newb... what do I know.

I see this all the time too when I go to the gym with my husband. I too have often wondered what the point was...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    oy then you should totally just ask lol!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    We have people that do one hit on each machine as well they call it a full body workout they combine it with cardio
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It could be one of two things:
    1) He is working a specific range of motion where he has a sticking point; or
    2) Because of the way he set himself up (*kitten* off the bench, or he has a barrel chest), he only has to move the bar a few inches to get a “clean” powerlifting bench press.

In all likelihood, you were seeing #2. It doesn’t look like much, but it is what they do to get those crazy 600 lb plus bench press numbers in meets. He likely had on a compression shirt (bench shirt) and elbow wraps.