Keeping under recommended sugar

Options
foxlme
foxlme Posts: 57 Member
Does anyone else REALLY struggle with this metric? I don't eat a lot of processed sugar, but I've been really having a hard time keeping under my goal! I'm more than double where MFP suggests on a weekly basis, but seemingly healthy things like my morning banana burn through my sugar allotment fast. How much do you monitor your sugars (if you're not diabetic or have other sugar issues)? Do you mentally "back out" non-processed sugars like fruits? Or should I really be shooting for that range of sugar intake, knowing I would have to cut back on what feels like healthy food choices??

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendation is for added sugar and is ridiculously low anyway. Unless there is some medical reason why you can't have sugar, you're better off not tracking it at all. Stick to your overall carb goal, and you'll be fine.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm far from an expert, but if I am eating non-processed sugars, I don't pay it much mind. If I have a greek yogurt and a piece of fruit in the same day, I'm over my sugar. And I don't thing that is unhealthy, so I don't stress over it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendation is for added sugar and is ridiculously low anyway. Unless there is some medical reason why you can't have sugar, you're better off not tracking it at all. Stick to your overall carb goal, and you'll be fine.

Agreed.

I feel the same way about sodium - unless you have a reason to track it (and sugar, as casey said), don't. Focus on the bigger, more important things (total cals, fats, carbs, protein) before you worry about the finer details.