wanting to eat something V being hungry

Options
One thing I've noticed, since logging and tracking my food and watching my calories, is that I'm not as hungry as much of the time as I would once have thought I was!

For example, now, I'm sitting here (supposedly working) bit bored, bit anxious about it, feeling fidgety and restless - and one thing that keeps coming into my mind is that I want to eat something. This time last year, I would have just though "Oh, I'm a bit peckish - I'll pop out to the kitchen and find some snack, or make a sandwich" or something. I'd have believed I was hungry.

Because I'm aware today of what I've eaten, and how many calories I have left, as soon as that thought comes into my head, I kind of weigh up in my mind how hungry I am and whether it's sufficient to justify more calories, or should I wait for my evening meal. And in fact, I realied, I'm not hungry at all. Going to find something to nibble is purely about something to do to distract me from my work.

Actually, I rarely feel genuinely hungry - a couple of times I've walked into town and back and got home feeling a bit wobbly, because I obviously hadn't eaten enough in the morning, and last night I felt hungry before my tea, properly - growling tummy hungry. But it's really not often.

I just thought I'd share this, because often people post stuff about resisting urges, and dealing with hunger - maybe it's like this - not hunger at all, but habit? An activity that serves some other purpose? As well as the obvious emotional stuff.

And I thought maybe it would be useful to some of you - next time you get that peckish feeling - "ooh I could just fancy a ....." just stop, sit, weigh up whether you really are hungry and whether you're hungry enough to justify the calories - and maybe it'll help? Bit Zen, I guess, but I hope so. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• shrinking_cylon
    shrinking_cylon Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    *Applauds*

Well-said! I definitely deal with compulsive (over)eating. I don't often frequent these boards but it's nice to know that I am not alone :) It's so difficult (impossible?) for me to stop once I start snacking. I need to take a second BEFORE I reach something, to ask myself if I REALLY need it.
  • supadaverun
    supadaverun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree. My normal habit is to snack when I get on the computer(like now), but it is due to habit and not that I'm really hungry. I was going to eat a snack just now, but your wisdom has got me through the moment! :)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I think a whole lot of people eat for reasons besides hunger. For a lot of people, eating is a source of pleasure.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I agree. My normal habit is to snack when I get on the computer(like now), but it is due to habit and not that I'm really hungry. I was going to eat a snack just now, but your wisdom has got me through the moment! :)

Oh ace! I'm chuffed! Well done you :flowerforyou:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think a whole lot of people eat for reasons besides hunger. For a lot of people, eating is a source of pleasure.

Definitely - but by the same principle doing so consciously helps you to enjoy the pleasure without getting out of control and piling on the weight! I've noticed too that - much as I LOVE my red wine, because I'm aware of the calories I do drink less than I did, AND I pay more attention to the wine when I drink it, and savour it more. Same applies to chocolate, I used to think the only way to enjoy chocolate was to gorge on it! Now I'm learning to enjoy a small piece once in a a while (usually :blushing: )
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    You are spot on about this.

My husband says most people are overweight due to boredom and lack of imagination.

I also notice I actually do get hungry, tummy growling hungry more now than before, I just grazed a lot. Now I always think if I have the cals and does it fit my macros. It is like another person has taken control of my feeding habits.

A change for the good.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options

Definitely - but by the same principle doing so consciously helps you to enjoy the pleasure without getting out of control and piling on the weight! I've noticed too that - much as I LOVE my red wine, because I'm aware of the calories I do drink less than I did, AND I pay more attention to the wine when I drink it, and savour it more. Same applies to chocolate, I used to think the only way to enjoy chocolate was to gorge on it! Now I'm learning to enjoy a small piece once in a a while (usually :blushing: )

YES! I can also have one block of chocolate or one glass of wine for a treat and fit it in my calories.
    Tastes better! I savour that one block in two bites instead of gorging on limitless blocks!
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! The computer, or on the phone.
  • emshim
    emshim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not been looking at calories very long but this is EXACTLY how I feel and what calorie counting has enabled me to realise! Where I thought it was alright to have this snack here and there "when I was hungry", I find the last few weeks I have not been having these snacks because Im not actually hungry!

It is a habit - I work from home and when I fancy a break or was a bit bored of the work i was doing, i'd find myself looking in the fridge or grabbing a graze snack. One thing I also realise is that thirst & hunger (and many cravings) actually have the same kind of feeling inside (before you actually FEEL thirsty with dry mouth etc though) and so those cravings/habits can easily be changed from snacking on food into having some water. Recognising these kind of things do make you smile, you wonder how you wern't literally bursting at the seams everyday!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    One thing I repeat to myself that I heard once is "if you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, then you're not hungry". Usually if I'm bored I'm wanting chips or ice cream or something "fun". If I'm not hungry enough to want something that isn't fun, then I'm not really hungry and I'm just bored.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    great post. that is why this slower journey of logging really edcucates and produces real change that can last after the weight comes off. With a fad diet....you'd go right back to impulsive eating and gain back even more.

..also.. I read somewhere that false hunger urges pass after 20 minutes. And if you are truly hungry ..you still will be 20 minutes later. We can all do that.