fruit!!

Options
Why is it that with weight watchers if you eat any fruit ITS FREE!?? no points, they can fill up with all the fruits and veggies they want !!! but with this plan all fruits and veggies still go against you. I want an apple but I don't want to give up 96 calories for one! that's a lot!! dam -_-
:noway:
:wink:

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Not sure why that would be, not too familiar with their system. Honestly if you want an apple just have it, it's good for you, and it's a better 96 calories than eating a serving of chips or some other junk food.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Why is it that with weight watchers if you eat any fruit ITS FREE!?? no points, they can fill up with all the fruits and veggies they want !!! but with this plan all fruits and veggies still go against you. I want an apple but I don't want to give up 96 calories for one! that's a lot!! dam -_-
    Because they got it wrong. However, I'm going to take a wild guess that the points system does not afford enough calories anyway, thus the calories from the fruit won't hurt you.

Fruit and vegetables have calories just like any other food. You should not have to give up anything to have a piece of fruit, as long as you stay within the correct calorie limit for you to lose weight.

Have you set up your profile in MFP yet to calculate your calorie limit to lose weight? You never eat less than that calorie limit because, based on how many pounds per week you want to lose, MFP calculates the calorie deficit for you.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Walk a mile while you eat your apple. Time and record the walk, and the apple. It'll come close to canceling each other out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stop considering it "giving up 96 calories for an apple" and start thinking that you're eating something nutritious and yummy and the problem is solved.

:-) seriously. :flowerforyou:
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Walk a mile while you eat your apple. Time and record the walk, and the apple. It'll come close to canceling each other out.
    Hoping this is sarcasm??
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Ya know Fruit still has calories.. just because weight watchers gives them for free doesn't mean you can't get fat off eating nothing but fruit and veggies.. Plus you pay for weight watchers so their end goal is for you to regain any weight you lost, and rejoin their program. Rinse, Repeat = Profit
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I haven't done WW but did SW last year. I was saying to a girl about the"free stuff", & she pointed out well you couldn't each 5 bananas in one go. I begged to differ stayed a member 5wks gained 4lbs. Lost that & a few more here & I'm eating 1600cals a day.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hoping this is sarcasm??

I don't see it as sarcasm. For my weight, I burn 80 calories per mile of walking. so yes, the apple and the walk just about cancel each other out.
  • rosepad72
    rosepad72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i like this
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    In my book, fruits and veggies are never against you! They are good, healthy calories - heck, when I eat a 96 calorie apple I usually dip in 100 calories worth of peanut butter! :bigsmile:

I have no idea why WW counts them as "free" - as others have mentioned, fruit has calories, and those calories are good nutrition and fuel.

I didn't look at your profile, but I'm guessing if you're concerned about a 96 calorie apple cutting into your day, you must have your cals set at 1200 or lower.....

Edit - just looked, but diary and profile are all locked up tight. :tongue:
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    [/quote]
    Because they got it wrong. However, I'm going to take a wild guess that the points system does not afford enough calories anyway, thus the calories from the fruit won't hurt you.

[/quote]

NOT THIS.

As a person that has done WW, the whole premise is to get you to eat healthier. Fruits and vegetables are considered "FREE" but having as an example 10 apples per day, is more than likely not going to help the weight loss. Moderation is still required. The calorie limits that I take in are about the same as if I was tracking purely calories vs. points through weight watchers. I just know that if I am going to snack outside of what I plan to eat for the day that my first two options are fruit or a vegetable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hoping this is sarcasm??

I don't see it as sarcasm. For my weight, I burn 80 calories per mile of walking. so yes, the apple and the walk just about cancel each other out.

You don't have to cancel it out...you don't have to exercise off every calorie you eat...you burn more calories just being alive than you do with exercise. You do realize that right? Thus the reason the previous poster was hoping this was sarcasm...this type of thinking and behavior is extremely disordered.

Eat your friggin' apple OP...it's good for you, and it counts...'cuz it has calories.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    NOT THIS.

As a person that has done WW, the whole premise is to get you to eat healthier. Fruits and vegetables are considered "FREE" but having as an example 10 apples per day, is more than likely not going to help the weight loss. Moderation is still required. The calorie limits that I take in are about the same as if I was tracking purely calories vs. points through weight watchers. I just know that if I am going to snack outside of what I plan to eat for the day that my first two options are fruit or a vegetable.
    Just to clarify, I am not against Weight Watchers, and I also commend you for your success. However, for a program to say that fruit and vegetables are free outside of your calorie count seems a bit senseless. Some fruits are more calories than others, just as vegetables. Do tell-why doesn't WW give fruits and vegetables points too?
  • zawamj
    zawamj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have also done weight watchers and was successful at it. The "free" fruit and vegetables idea is just as "horndave" points out. It is to encourage you to snack on healthier options. However, and a lot of people on weight watchers seemingly miss this, not all fruits and vegetables are considered "free." Also, and this is explained in the program as well, you should be limiting your fruit intake to 5 servings per day on the weight watchers program. That's not say you can't have more if you want, but if you aren't losing this is a good place to start looking for modification.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    [/quote]
    Just to clarify, I am not against Weight Watchers, and I also commend you for your success. However, for a program to say that fruit and vegetables are free outside of your calorie count seems a bit senseless. Some fruits are more calories than others, just as vegetables. Do tell-why doesn't WW give fruits and vegetables points too?
    [/quote]

Really has to do with recommended daily allowances of spcific food types. Just like "zawamj" pointed out 'However, and a lot of people on weight watchers seemingly miss this, not all fruits and vegetables are considered "free." Also, and this is explained in the program as well, you should be limiting your fruit intake to 5 servings per day on the weight watchers program. That's not say you can't have more if you want, but if you aren't losing this is a good place to start looking for modification. "
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Stop considering it "giving up 96 calories for an apple" and start thinking that you're eating something nutritious and yummy and the problem is solved.

:-) seriously. :flowerforyou:

^^^ This - Very good - I am trying to literally eat more apples because they are good for me.

(Don't worry.. you can see that I eat pizza and all sorts of other "stuff' too)
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What one person is doing is in context to their lifestyle, approach, diet, and body, first of all.

I can only tell you what I do with fruit: because of the higher level of sugar (read: carbs) in fruit, I use fruit as a desert, "treat" or snack. And like anything else I do, I track exactly how many calories I'm consuming and of what type (carb, fat, protein).

Fruits contain some marvelous nutrients, in fact one can make a game of using fruits and vegetables to figure out how to get their daily vitamin, fiber and mineral intake. I can't do it totally with fruit and veggies, but I do a TON of my vites and minerals using fruits and vegetables.

Fruits are awesome, but not "free" to the best of my knowledge.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you Zamwag and Horndave for the clarification.

When I first had my trainer and he was helping me set up a new eating plan, he said lettuce, including a few other foods, were free and not counted into my calories because those foods did not have enough calories to really count. I didn't understand it then either, and I always counted in those "free" foods anyway.

Eating healthy to lose and maintain weight really is all about portion control and making sure you get enough calories to fuel your body. :smile:
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is in the business to make money. They do not want you to lose weight to fast. They want you to lose and gain and lose and gain. It's all money to them. The slower weight loss the better with them. Good Luck!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with previous posters -- 96 calories from an apple is very different than having 100 calorie bag of cookies, or something. If you want the apple - EAT IT!!! Never followed WW so not familiar with their system at all.