Routine critique wanted

Options
Hello everyone,

I am a novice lifter, I have a history of SI joint injury and have recently started lifting. My chiropractor, instead of recommending that I come in once or twice a week for the next few years, actually recommended that I do functional strength training to correct muscle imbalances and then come in once a month for mobility and strength assessment. I sought help from a PT for two weeks to make sure that my form was in order before turning me loose in the gym with my shiny new lifting routine. My primary goals are to build strength and to lose fat. I feel like this is possible to do concurrently as I have not previously lifted seriously for more than a couple weeks before giving up. Here's the basic routine:

Monday (reps are 10 for 2 weeks, then 8, 6, 5, 4, 3 etc for two weeks):
High Bar Squat - 3 sets
Deadlift - 3 sets
Flat bench - 3 sets
Bent over row - 3 sets
Pull ups - 3 sets
Dips - 3 sets

Wednesday (reps are 10 for 2 weeks, then 8, 6, 5, 4, 3 etc for two weeks):
Front Squat - 3 sets
Sumo Deadlift - 3 sets
Incline bench - 3 sets
Lat pulldown - 3 sets
Seated row (cable) - 3 sets

Friday (5x5):
High Bar Squat
RDL
Bent over row
Flat bench
Pull ups (3 sets)
Dips (3 sets)

My current stats (just finished my second week at 5 reps per set):
Back Squat: 225x5
Deadlift: 215x5
Front Squat: 205x5
Sumo: 205x5
Flat Bench: 180x5
RDL: 125x5
Incline bench: 155x5

Should I finish this program through the 1 rep max weeks and then change it up? I have been looking into the icecreamfitness 5x5 and possibly SL5x5.

Thanks!

-Matt

Replies

• chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My primary goals are to build strength and to lose fat.

Some guys say "strength' when they really "mass". If increased mass is your primary goal, then that is a good program. On the other hand, if you want functional strength (being able to perform better outside the gym) then the exercises should simulate how you use your body in the real world. That means most sets should be done standing and unsupported, and your feet should not be glued in one place for every exercise. So for starters, i would add things like lunges & side lunges, and replace the bench press & seated row with some form of standing pushing and pulling exercise. I'd also add some form of overhead lifting movement.