Moving away from the parentals...

Options
So at the end of this month I am moving out of my parents' home into an apartment w/ a couple of girls. I am super pumped and for some reason I think that it will help me in my weight loss goals :happy: ... Does anyone have a similar story or feelings that moving away from the parents helps you feel more able to be healthy? My parents are supportive and great, but I just feel so stressed that I'm almost 22 and haven't really accomplished my goals for myself at this age, so I think space away will be great. Wondering if I am a bad, ungrateful child :ohwell: or if its normal for college grads to start feeling like crap after being home too long.... :cry:

Replies

• AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It is normal. I am 25 and still working on my college degree. I keep having to take breaks because I have to stop for a quarter or two to save up to pay for the next quarter or two...I am trying to avoid loans, so it is taking forever!

Anyways, I still live at home and dont want to say that I hate it, but when it comes down to it, I HATE it. I don't consider it being ungrateful. I am very grateful that my mom took in my husband and I when we couldn't make it on our own (both going to school full time and working...and then getting laid off) but we are in our mid 20's...we should be making it on our own. It is a crappy feeling to be still depending on parents to put a roof over our head, but with me working at $8 an hour 20 hours a week and in school and hubby a recent grad and unemployed looking for work, I don't see any other way right now. :cry:

To answer your other question, I also think it is easier to make healthier choices living on your own. In my case, my aunt also recently moved in with my mom...and we are all responsible for making our own food, which is great...if there wasn't always somebody in the kitchen. So a lot of times, hubby and I will make something quick . We are hoping to have our own place by the end of the year.

Good luck with moving out. It really is an amazing experience.
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Congrats on the new apartment and the big step you are taking!!! I didn't move out of my parents house until I got married which was when I had just turned 23. My situation for it helping me eat healthier is a little different from yours. . my Mom is an awesome cook but one who fries pretty much EVERYTHING and it isn't a meal at their table unless there are at least 5 different dishes of food on the table. . .so yes just from that when I moved out I was able to start eating healthier! But if you are to that point that you are ready to get out on your own and staying with them is starting to get to you, then I personally think it will help you to be healthier. Because in my opinion, anytime you're happier overall, then you're more likely to make better decisions and be healthier! Best of luck to you on all your new adventures & have FUN!!! :smile:
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    TOTALLY normal and being a parent of a 23 and 26 year old it is what we want for you but keep in mind that we will still require an occasional visit or reminder that we are loved...LOL
    Good luck and make sure that you buy healthy, it costs a lot more but it will pay off! Also, remember Skinny Girl Margueritas may be a viable option-liquor is empty calories!
    And you have a whole life ahead of you to accomplish whatever you desire so ease up on yourself and just enjoy the ride! :happy:
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies... I feel so stressed that I'm being ungrateful, but I know this is the best decision for me! xoxo to you all!

Maggie
  • frecks
    frecks Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I flew from the nest about 5months ago and im eating better now as when i lived at home i would come in from work, eat noodles n watch tv and just snack. Now I have my own home, I have housework to do and if i don't eat properly i'll end up starving lol. I also cant afford take aways now! I think it has done me good to get out on my own and i love comikng home for sunday dinners! =D x
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Due to various life choices I didn't officially leave home until I was 30! I'd been to university and did live away for long periods of time but ended up moving back home when a relationship broke down and I was left without a man, a house and a job. I needed my parents and they supported me. The big BUT here (and, indeed, big butt!) is that my mom has no idea when it comes to healthy cooking. Portion sizes have always been too big. Cake and pudding have always been regulars on the menu. Carbs have been 'essential' as opposed to optional (and, again, portions of carbs were WAY too big). I moved out and got a place by myself, hired a personal trainer and lost 42lbs. Since starting MFP I realised that the days I go to visit my parents and have meals there my calories go sky high.

I think you've been away and seen life and are feeling the need to move away from your parents and become an adult. There's nothing wrong with it but it takes a big adjustment on both sides. You'll be far more in control of your calorie intake and everything will be down to you (you won't be able to blame your mom if you're drinking your daily calories in alcohol with the girls!) As the others have said though, make sure you retain a relationship with your parents. They'll respect you as an adult but still want to know that you love them. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Congratultions! Its a big step, and it can be tricky. I'm almost 24 and have been on my own for 6 years this summer. Your parents understand the need to leave the nest. But they will always want the reassurance that you are still their little girl.

Be careful with roommates. I personally found it hard to eat healthy with roomies beacuse they always bought lots of crappy foods and would eat or throw out my healthy foods. And there tends to be alot of pizza and partying. I would recommend that each roomie buys their own groceries and don't eat each others food.

Don't be too hard on yourself about your life goals. Life will never go as planned and your goals will periodically change. As long as you are striving towards them and you are happy, then life will be great for you!
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with DV. My life is absolutely nothing like I ever thought it would be. My job is nothing that I thought I'd ever want to do but it pays the money to give me the life outside of work that I want.

I also agree about being careful with regards to food and roomies. When I was at college we ended up sitting around eating pastries and watching talk shows all the time! Also be careful about where you're living - if you're near a convenience store you're more likely to be tempted to just pop to the store to get chips when you feel like it!