Leg/glute workout advice

Options
Hey all. So, recently, I have been doing 2-3 days of legs one day and upper body the others. After seeing some progress in physique, I decided to refocus on running (too hot for that in the Florida summer heat). So, in the hopes of both not wearing my legs out completely and seeing more actual weight loss, I decided to switch it up.

Now, I still do different upper body workouts, but instead of doing leg presses, calves, etc I decided to do leg/glutes-focused work on the elliptical/treadmill/stair climbers. I am hoping that this not only continues to give me some leg work, but also increases my cardio at the same time. I will also add that I am about 30-40 lbs away from my weightloss goal, so while I still want to build muscle, I also want to drop weight a bit more. Does anyone have any feedback on this? Pros/cons? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Cardio is cardio, and while you might feel it in certain muscles, it's not building those muscles. In fact, you won't build significant muscle while eating at a deficit. I'd continue to do compound lower body lifts like squats and deadlifts for your strength training. Glute bridges and lunges are also good exercises.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Cardio is cardio, and while you might feel it in certain muscles, it's not building those muscles. In fact, you won't build significant muscle while eating at a deficit. I'd continue to do compound lower body lifts like squats and deadlifts for your strength training. Glute bridges and lunges are also good exercises.

I agree.. You will hardly build any muscle running or doing cardio using elliptical/treadmill/stair climbers etc. To lose weight, stay in a caloric deficit and yes, do cardio.. For building muscle, however, you will probably build some muscle even if you're in a caloric deficit, being a newbie with weights... But it won't last forever.. Stick to compound movements. Squats, leg press, lunges and do some isolation movements for your calves, hamstrings and quads .. Good luck
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, my goal is not necessarily to build crazy amount of muscle in my leg. I want to keep them strong and do some work. It doesn't have to be a ton. So, basically, I think it sounds like I am achieving what I want. When I am ready to really get to the next level on my legs, I will return to the compound work I was doing before. I appreciate your insights!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the amount of calories you burn lifting weight. In a given session I probably burn between 300-400 calories in an hour, resting about 2 min between sets.

I don't do much cardio, and I should, but it's probably not for the reason you think. I want to have better conditioning, and cardio is the ticket for that. Otherwise between my deficit and the weight lifting, I'm having no problems eat 1850 per day (I'm 150 lbs) and loosing a pound per week.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of incline workouts and hiking and I don't care what anyone says regarding glutes and calf muscles. If you hike, you know it works. I do leg workouts once or twice per week with weights, too. I wouldn't say the hiking has been as effective for my upper legs but I carry more fat in my thighs, as many women do. I hardly do any work on my calf muscles and people stop me and say "Holy $%^&!"
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the amount of calories you burn lifting weight. In a given session I probably burn between 300-400 calories in an hour, resting about 2 min between sets.

I don't do much cardio, and I should, but it's probably not for the reason you think. I want to have better conditioning, and cardio is the ticket for that. Otherwise between my deficit and the weight lifting, I'm having no problems eat 1850 per day (I'm 150 lbs) and loosing a pound per week.

Trust me...I am still on the weights. However, I tend to go through "seasons". So, this change is for two reasons. First, I just want to get back into running, and when I am "lifting heavy" with legs and running it is not a great situation for me (more so due to time constraints, etc). Second, I just am ready to do something a little different. Still being a bit of a heavier guy, running and stepping exercises seem to still do well for my legs. Obviously, as my weight decreases, it will be a bit of a different story, but that is where I am at right now.