feeling sorry for a friend

I was talking to a friend the other day and weight loss was mentioned. I told her that I would gladly help her/support her in her journey. She sighed and said that she was not able to start b/c every time her hubby heard her mention losing weight, he went out and bought cookies and other junk b/c he likes her the way she is. Any ideas on how to help her out? I feel bad that she is stuck at the start line.

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    You need to look her right in the face and tell her if she keeps making up excuses for herself she is never going to be happy. If she can't say no to junk food, she needs to talk to her husband about it and make her intentions clear. Until she actually starts trying, you shouldn't feel sorry for her.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Tell her to stop with the excuses. She doesn't have to eat the junk her husband brings home.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    ::sigh:: I guess I should have ever posted this. i was hoping to not get smacked w/ the no excuses hatred responses. i was hoping to find some other suggestions instead of that being the only thing to say to her.
  • SweetieMelissa
    SweetieMelissa Posts: 68 Member
    Well she could also not tell her husband that she is trying to lose weight and just does it on her own? Then he wouldn't buy the junk food! :)
    And she should set up a MFP account. Maybe eating a cookie here and there isn't bad :)
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    I like the suggestion of getting her to join MFP. Seeing how many calories she's consuming might motivate her to say no to the junk her husband brings into the house. She could also learn how to fit these foods into a calorie budget if she absolutely can't say no.

How about getting together with her a couple of days a week to exercise?
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Seems like they need marriage counseling....a good husband should only encourage his wife to be healthy. That being said, perhaps if she just resists the junk or cuts back she will start to lose weight and her actions will speak for themselves. I can't imagine any husband not wanting his wife to look her best and be healthy. Perhaps she can get him involved in doing activities together and they could get healthy together, not necessarily cutting out all the junk food he apparently wants.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    She needs to do what couples generally need to do to stay together - communicate. She needs to let her significant other know that this is something she wants to do for her health, and that she won't be eating those things he brings home.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    It's definitely an excuse.. He's not force feeding the cookies to her, it's her own fault if she can't stay away from them.

And maybe she can be a bit more discreet about her dieting efforts. If I had to guess, I'd bet she tells him every little bit about how she's bummed about not losing fast enough or hates her body or whatever. I never really talk like that but every once in a while I slip and make a negative comment about my former blobular shape and it really upsets him. When someone cares about you, they don't want to hear you putting yourself down - they love you just the way you are! She needs to keep that kind of talk in the girlfriend zone - things she only discusses with you and other close friends.

And/or she tries to completely revamp their foods and he hates that too because he's not interested in eating "diet food". There's ways around that too. 1) everything in moderation, there are no bad foods. 2) portion control. You can still make the same foods, just make sure they fit in your calorie/macro goals. 3) make subtle changes and don't report them. When I started tweaking our recipes to make them healthier, he'd turn his nose up about things like whole wheat pasta or turkey sausage, etc. So I made sure he didn't see the labels anymore and asked him what he thought about the food after he ate it and THEN I'd tell him so he'd learn healthy didn't always mean it tasted like cardboard. He'll still try to make comments now and then but all I have to do is remind him that's they way we've been eating the healthier alternative for months and he's never complained so obviously healthy foods are tasty too. :)
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    I was talking to a friend the other day and weight loss was mentioned. I told her that I would gladly help her/support her in her journey. She sighed and said that she was not able to start b/c every time her hubby heard her mention losing weight, he went out and bought cookies and other junk b/c he likes her the way she is. Any ideas on how to help her out? I feel bad that she is stuck at the start line.
    That's just an excuse. She's obviously not ready, so there's not much you can do.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    tell her not mention it to her husband and just do it. Tell her to get a little self control because he can buy those foods, but he's not holding a gun to her head and making her eat. Tell her to find her inner voice and stand up for herself instead of making excuses and blaming others. Tell her to start taking responsibility for her life, her actions, and her trajectory.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Sounds like she just shouldn't talk to her husband about losing weight.
  • Ladina1990
    Ladina1990 Posts: 137 Member
    Self control and communication is key, just because her hubby brings the junk into the house doesnt mean she HAS to eat it, like others are saying she should get a MFP account so she can log and be accountable for what she eats, and all you can do at this point is be a supportive friend and workout with her, now if she doesnt want to work out with you and makes excuses then at that point she isnt ready to lose weight.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Things aren't all bad for your friend. If I had to choose between a spouse who loves me the way I am, and one who nags me to lose weight, I'd choose the former. She just needs to work on herself so that she can eat a cookie for a treat, and stay within an overall goal for calories that enables her to get to a healthy weight. Unless her husband has a deep seated preference for overweight women, he'll love her at a healthy weight too. She doesn't have to get skinny to be healthy. She need not even tell her husband that she's losing weight. People do it all the time without anyone really noticing.

It's also possible that your friend is making polite excuses because weight loss isn't really that important to her, in which case you have to let her live her own life.
  • I personally think that she should join MFP, she can count her calories, help her see exactly what she is eating. The support here is Amazing! You can share your experience with her from joining. I LOVE Food! I have a very hard time saying no to cookies, but am learning I can have one cookie in moderation. The eating journal is the way of life. :-) I am changing my lifestyle for my health, she can too! :-)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    First she needs to sit down with her husband and clearly communicate her goals and what she needs from him to support them. If he brings those foods home after that, she needs to restate the goals and the need for support and then throw the junk in the trash. He'll get the message sooner or later.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    A lot of us have been stuck at the start post for a variety of reasons, but really it does come down to the point of not being ready to do it for ourselves.

She tells her husband she's going to do it, he buys stuff, she eats it. It does sound as if it's an excuse on her part, even if it isn't conscious.

I think she needs to not tell her husband and start making small changes in her eating and movement. All too often we get so caught up in the all or nothing mindset that we forget we can make huge differences by making small changes. Maybe that's what you need to remind her about.

I think it's nice you're concerned about your friend.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    IMO, she should not tell her hubby she is going to try and lose weight. If he is going to sabotage her when he knows, then not telling him sounds like the thing to do to keep him from not bringing crap into the house. I also think she should join MFP and start with small changes to her diet and exercise. Then after awhile she can tell him what her plan is. Unfortunately, if he is still not on board, she may have to think of what is best for her and not the marriage. Maybe she can tell him that if she doesn't get this weight off she won't be around to enjoy their life together.

Good luck to you and your friend! :flowerforyou:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    ::sigh:: I guess I should have ever posted this. i was hoping to not get smacked w/ the no excuses hatred responses. i was hoping to find some other suggestions instead of that being the only thing to say to her.

Since when is common sense hatred? Is her husband tying her down and forcing the cookies into her mouth? No? Then it's an excuse. It sounds like her husband may be used to hearing her talk about dieting and then not proceeding, so he's not taking it seriously. She NEEDS to show him she is serious and that can be done, even with junk in the house. It's called either not eating the cookies OR only having one or two and then eating healthy and exercising.

Don't accuse others of being hateful because they are being blunt and are living in the real world.
  • belgd
    belgd Posts: 26 Member
    Wow.. My husband loved the way I looked, while I felt self conscious. I decided to do it for me and he has been very, very helpful and supportive. She should set up a MFP account and get the ball rolling. I found it easier to have self control with the help of MFP. If she wants it bad enough, she'll do it. A ton of girls say they hate their weight/body but do nothing about it. Mehh..
  • ::sigh:: I guess I should have ever posted this. i was hoping to not get smacked w/ the no excuses hatred responses. i was hoping to find some other suggestions instead of that being the only thing to say to her.

Since when is common sense hatred? Is her husband tying her down and forcing the cookies into her mouth? No? Then it's an excuse. It sounds like her husband may be used to hearing her talk about dieting and then not proceeding, so he's not taking it seriously. She NEEDS to show him she is serious and that can be done, even with junk in the house. It's called either not eating the cookies OR only having one or two and then eating healthy and exercising.

Don't accuse others of being hateful because they are being blunt and are living in the real world.

Totally agree with this.