eating back calories results and expreiences

Options
124»

Replies

• ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I eat mne back but I am on a maintain level but the way it is set up it gives you a set amount for loosing or maintaining There is no guess work involved. However I am always over and was concerned at first about sugars and protein but Dietician said not to worry sugar for me was from fruit and not to worry about being over on protein since I was weight training
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    making sarcastic comments doesn't really help anyone......the 3 of you that commented on my post should enlighten me as to why I am so incorrect in my statement? Share your wealth of knowledge if you have any....

That has already happened....but I'll belabor the point...

MFP gives you a calorie goal with a weight loss deficit built in. When you set up your activity level in MFP, it is sans exercise because MFP is a NEAT method calculator...with a NEAT method calculator, you account for exercise after the fact rather than incorporating it into your activity level. With a TDEE calculator you incorporate it into your activity level...thus, you are still eating back exercise calories, just not deliberately...either way, the activity is accounted for.

This is important because for optimal fitness performance and results you need optimal nutrition and energy...i.e. you need to properly fuel you body for your activity level...cut too much and your performance suffers.

As has also been noted before, people who have issues are usually overestimating their burn and/or underestimating intake...it's generally a combination of both...this isn't rocket science, it's really pretty much like 6th grade math.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    I work out to eat too! If I don't exercise I think, s××t, I can't eat today!:sad: I hate that. It drives me to the gym machines every day and the weight training. I could not live on the 1250 which is my base - I would just end up binge eating. I have been eating 1700 for 15 1/2 months now and find I can carry on like this for ever. I am a gal who loves her food!
  • lifu1
    lifu1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I eat some back but not all of them. How much depends on how hungry I'm feeling. MFP and cardio machines usually overestimate how much you burn so I try to take that into consideration with how much I eat back
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My most successful time on MFP was when I was eating my exercise calories and netting 2000 calories a day. I was losing 0.5lbs per week consistently.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    making sarcastic comments doesn't really help anyone......the 3 of you that commented on my post should enlighten me as to why I am so incorrect in my statement? Share your wealth of knowledge if you have any....

That has already happened....but I'll belabor the point...

MFP gives you a calorie goal with a weight loss deficit built in. When you set up your activity level in MFP, it is sans exercise because MFP is a NEAT method calculator...with a NEAT method calculator, you account for exercise after the fact rather than incorporating it into your activity level. With a TDEE calculator you incorporate it into your activity level...thus, you are still eating back exercise calories, just not deliberately...either way, the activity is accounted for.

This is important because for optimal fitness performance and results you need optimal nutrition and energy...i.e. you need to properly fuel you body for your activity level...cut too much and your performance suffers.

As has also been noted before, people who have issues are usually overestimating their burn and/or underestimating intake...it's generally a combination of both...this isn't rocket science, it's really pretty much like 6th grade math.

well, thank you so much for your insight, I appreciate your responce. Perhaps "deliberate" is the essential key word here. I don't use either method. I use custom setting based on my nutritional /fitness coach's advise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I use custom setting based on my nutritional /fitness coach's advise.

And I'd bet he/she's using the TDEE method (it goes by numerous names)...that is the more standard way of going about determining calorie needs...you account for all activity including exercise and then take a cut from that.

It is not the way this tool is designed if you're actually using this tool as designed, and most people who have these questions are getting their calorie goals from MFP...so they get their measley 1200 calorie goal and then go off and burn 600 calories in exercise and don't fuel that activity...this doesn't leave enough calories left over for just basic functions.

I myself use the TDEE method...I just have a set amount of calories and don't eat calories back...but when a noob asks me, I will tell them how this tool is intended to be used and if they need more information I will clarrify that I'm not following the MFP method. There are way too many people, especially women with very little weight to lose that under nourish their bodies because they think they have to eat only 1200 calories and go workout for 2-3 hours per day...then they're back on here later asking why they lost their periods and why their hair is falling out.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    well thankfully my hair and period are in tack. :bigsmile: Thanks for the information.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    bottom line is you need to do what works for you. Every BODY is different. There is no one correct way. Try both methods and see which works for you.

So true. We are all different. It's just important to make sure you are eating enough calories to properly fuel your body.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the calories burned aren't accurate and I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I only eat about half back, if I'm still hungry.
  • LindaNM
    Options
    Great answer
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back-don't see the point in burning them off if you do

lost 1lb per week,

and yet interestingly, I also lost 1 lb per week, while eating back all of my exercise calories. Who's approach sounds like more fun?
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am bumping to read all of these. I was asking the same question to many of my mfp pals today!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    yes i eat mine back because ive used MFP to tell me the calories to lose wight (it doesnt take into account my exercise) there is no way my body could run on 800 or less kcal a day, as it would if i didnt eat back what i burnt!
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    I eat mine! Exercise calories are the most delicious calories. Size 10 down from a 16.

great work!!! loved your response too nothing better than an awesome meal after a workout! it does taste better :P
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Exercise for health, fitness, physique, & awesomeness. Lose weight with a caloric deficit through dietary intake.
  • blackcows15
    blackcows15 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set at one pound loss and usually don't eat my exercise calories but know I can if I am hungry. If I change my goal to 2 pounds then on paper I have now eaten those calories even though I haven't eaten anymore or less the program now shows I have eaten those calories. Not sure that there is a right answer to this question as it depends on each individual's goal and total calorie intake.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Exercise for health, fitness, physique, & awesomeness. Lose weight with a caloric deficit through dietary intake.

^^ nice - I like that!