Skipping meals?

Options
Hi, I'm new here - just been lerking quietly.

Quick question...
Yesterday I had a very bad food day, way over my calories... I was binging. Anyway, this morning I'm not hungry and am motivated to go to they gym..... should I skip breakfast ? Or do you think that will just set me up for failure for another day?

Usually I"m really hungry in the a.m. if I've been sticking to eating right.. I guess I'm feeling guilty and like I need to try to make up for the two pints of ice cream and chinesse take out I had at 10pm last night (ufta)

Opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• saraegentry
    saraegentry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    don't skip meals... it puts your body in starvation mode, which stores fat!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Have a yogurt and GO!
  • kimberly428
    Options
    I wouldn't skip breakfast but maybe have a light lunch instead.
    if I do have a bad day I try to eat a snack instead of a meal one time the next day . I try to look at a week as a whole and play with my cals that way, especially on the weekend, I make up for it during the week :P
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Don't skip breakfast, whatever you do. Your metabolism needs a wake-up call in the morning to get going, so you should eat something even if you're not especially hungry or you're more or less sabotaging the exercise you'll do for the rest of the day. Have a banana, a little yogurt or a small bowl of cereal even if you're not terribly hungry just to tell your body "hey, you're gonna get food today, so don't feel shy about burning off calories!"

I think that eating breakfast every day has been the single biggest change I have made to my lifestyle since joining this site, and I am really confident that change is largely responsible for the success I'm having.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I'll do some bfast then go to the gym.

I'm just feeling bad about yesterday as I've been working hard all week to really change things. I've been on a yo -yo with this program since April... lost some then gained more! Now weight more then when I decided I no longer wanted to be this way. But, I'm trying to stay positive.... tell myself I can do it cause it started to work in April before I gave up in May or around there.

Anyway... no more excusses... It's a new day... will keep on trying.
    Thank you!
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I have a bad night food-wise, I'm not hungry in the morning either. I usually have a casein protein shake or a Muscle Milk Light, something easy to consume but with the kind of protein that my body will be digesting for several hours. If you're not currently using protein supplements you probably don't have any of that handy though, so like everyone else has said, just eat something light to get your metabolism going! If you can get in some light exercise with it, that will really get you back on track!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    What they said. But never. ever. ever. skip breakfast. If one "skinny rule" is consistently true, skinny people eat breakfast. Up your workout today, drink more water, and don't beat yourself up!

Good luck :smile:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    If you fall off the 'eating right' wagon, just hop right back on. That means breakfast, not under eating to make up for the binge the day before. You can do it...! :flowerforyou:
  • tjbeer
    tjbeer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am like you and this happened to me today, but I listened to the guys on MFP and ate some breakfast, even if it wasn't till late morning, then went to the gym and had an ace workout. I find it too easy to skip meals, but the weight does not come off. Now I do eat breakfast and I have started loosing!! Thank goodness.

:smile:
    Tx
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I have a bad night food-wise, I'm not hungry in the morning either. I usually have a casein protein shake or a Muscle Milk Light, something easy to consume but with the kind of protein that my body will be digesting for several hours. If you're not currently using protein supplements you probably don't have any of that handy though, so like everyone else has said, just eat something light to get your metabolism going! If you can get in some light exercise with it, that will really get you back on track!

Can I get that at Target? Last year I talked to a personal trainer and she mentioned protien shakes... but there seem to be so many different kinds of protien and they come in GAINT containers. I don't know enough to know what to buy.

What do you think is the best tasting one? Can I have the brand info and where you get it? I'll try it... I've heard about that stuff but have not been sure enough of myself or my information to get some.
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm very hesitant to give advice on things like protein supplements because I am just beginning to learn this stuff myself. But here is a source where I have found some information on the different types of protein:

http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/casein-protein.html

Whey protein is the most common protein that people use to recover from a workout, due to its quick release in your body. Whey protein is what you see in the big tubs (powdered) at Target, and grocery stores. Casein protein comes in big tubs too, but usually only at stores like GNC, or online. I just prefer it when I'm not hungry and know I won't eat for awhile, because its digestion is a longer process. Both proteins mention they are not to be used as meal substitutes during weight loss, because they contain very few other vitamins and nutrients (like slim-fast shakes do). I just use it along with a multivitamin on the occaisional morning that I don't feel like eating my usual breakfast.

Muscle Milk is a ready-to-drink shake also available at Target. I think it is a combination of whey, casein, and milk proteins, and the light version comes in 100-cal drink boxes or 160-cal bottles. I like to always have a pack of those handy in my fridge too in case I'm not hungry and have to run out the door.

Hope that helps, but please read up on it a little for yourself too as I am far from an expert!
  • bigkev2663
    Options
    I have found when i skip Breakfast I seem to drag through the day and I start off the day hungry...I always opt for a GOOD BREAKFAST AND SKIP LUNCH AND HAVE A NICE DINNER......DON'T FORGET YOU CAN HAVE SOME NICE HEALTHY LOW CALORIE (hit cap lock...LOL!) food for lunch and not have to miss breakfast....it is always good to have a nice breakfast and then a great long walk!!!!
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here - just been lerking quietly.

Quick question...
    Yesterday I had a very bad food day, way over my calories... I was binging. Anyway, this morning I'm not hungry and am motivated to go to they gym..... should I skip breakfast ? Or do you think that will just set me up for failure for another day?

Usually I"m really hungry in the a.m. if I've been sticking to eating right.. I guess I'm feeling guilty and like I need to try to make up for the two pints of ice cream and chinesse take out I had at 10pm last night (ufta)

Opinions are appreciated.
    Thanks!

You are better off at least having a fruit & some protein or You can have half a power bar (which has high protein & fiber content) before your workout rather than skipping the whole meal.
    so my advice to you is not to worry if you had one bad day.. it is not the end of the world!!! Now that you are aware of it, you will do something about it.. Like Working harder and longer (Increase your intensity & time). That way you'll revv up your metabolism and keep on burning calories. Anytime you skip a meal, you are slowing your metabolism.. NOT what you want when you are trying to lose weight..
    .. and once you increase yuour intensity & time, you will be ready to refuel your body.
    Best of luck
    Dounia