Coffee, Good or Bad for weight loss?

Options
So basically: is coffee good or bad for weight loss? I've been exhausted and never drink, but I'm having a cup today. I heard rumors it would help, I've heard it makes you gain. Help!

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    There will be no difference either way. Enjoy your coffee.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Coffee is awesome.
    I do about 2 cups a day. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Up
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    black coffee....minimal calories, so no impact at all on weight loss.
    now, a venti pumpkin spice latte is a whole nother story. (one which I enjoy at least a couple of times when they are in season....)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Love my Coffee and would not get through a day without it......:drinker:
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Coffee goooooood...:devil:
    I try to fit a fancy coffee in once a week (lately, more. That salted caramel mocha is my downfall). But I don't think it helps or hinders weight loss
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Coffee *may* help with weight loss (check this article http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369 and there are tons more like it) but it's not a weight loss tool. I tend to drink a lot of coffee in the morning, partly because it does help prevent me from snacking.

It will not make you gain weight UNLESS, like others posted, you start getting calorie packed lattes or add too much creamer/sugar. If you use creamer, try to use sugar free/fat free to reduce calories and sugar. One of my biggest downfalls is the creamer I use :(

I do fully intend to get myself one nonfat salted caramel latte this season - it's caloric equivalence is a small meal but it's a great treat!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Coffee *may* help with weight loss (check this article http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369 and there are tons more like it) but it's not a weight loss tool. I tend to drink a lot of coffee in the morning, partly because it does help prevent me from snacking.

It will not make you gain weight UNLESS, like others posted, you start getting calorie packed lattes or add too much creamer/sugar. If you use creamer, try to use sugar free/fat free to reduce calories and sugar. One of my biggest downfalls is the creamer I use :(

I do fully intend to get myself one nonfat salted caramel latte this season - it's caloric equivalence is a small meal but it's a great treat!

If you ask them to put in half of each syrup, it cuts about 80 calories (plus, it tastes better imo)
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    YES def. It surpresses appetite. On days when I have coffee I dont have to eat right away.
  • determined2bfit13
    determined2bfit13 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not bad at all its all the things we put in it, cream, sugar, ect. I love the pumpkin coffees and was having them every day until I saw that there is like 200 Calories in a Medium and 300 calories in a large. I will have it at least once a week as a treat but count it in my calories for the day. I'd rather use 300 calories on something more filling or just have coffee with cream and no sugar or splenda.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It could be bad for weightloss if you dump **** loads of cream and sugar into it...that is unless that fits your calorie goal...if so, have at it.

Weight loss is all about calories in/out...coffee makes no difference either way in and of itself.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For me it wasn't the coffee that was the problem it was the milk that went in it. Especially when I was having 4 or 5 a day. Now I might have 1 every now and then and with no milk or sugar. I feel so much better
  • lainie644
    lainie644 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Coffee is bad for a weight loss plan when you add sugar and creamer. It is better when you drink it black. You will consume about 2.5 calories, 4.5 milligrams sodium, and 0.5 grams of protein per 8 ounce cup when you drink it black.

In the meantime consider the "caffeine", a stimulant. It will cause your kidneys to be over active and you might lose the vital nutrients you consumed from the day before. They might get flushed out with all the toxins in your body.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    use stevia for sweetner
    add in MCT oil or coconut oil
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    very very good
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It would be great if I could stop putting cream and sugar in it...
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help you lose or gain. The only way it'll help you lose is by giving you a boost when you go to work out.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really help or hurt really.
  • CraftyWeeWifey
    CraftyWeeWifey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    who cares if it's good or bad for weight loss, it's essential for survival! lol
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's a stimulant. So heart rate increaser (= small increase in metabolism), appetite suppressant, and diuretic.

All minimal but good for weight loss.

But like everyone's said, it really is only that great for weight loss if you drink it black or with skim milk and a bit of sugar/sweetener.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Just all depends what you add to it as to if it will cause weight gain.