Anyone overestimate their food?

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yes, I overestimate pretty often. Especially with shredded cheese. I always thought I was eating 1 oz and was having less than 1/2 oz on my lunch. That was a nice shock. Also I'm pretty good at knowing what a Tbsp, 1/2 Tbsp looks like but for some reason imagine a tsp is practically nothing, when it's actually a decent amount.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most people underestimate their intake when they're just guestimating portions without weighing or measuring...there have been numerous studies to this effect. On average, people underestimate by as much as 20 - 30% when they're just eye balling it. It's one of the reasons that "it just doesn't work" for so many people here...they're underestimating they're intake and think they're at a deficit when in reality they consuming far more calories than they think they are.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I used to overestimate, before I got a scale (my second month or something). Now I'm getting better at it (I try and guess how much it is before I weigh it) but sometimes I'm still way off, like when I tried to pick 4oz of cooked salmon the other day... it's actually pretty tiny.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Most people underestimate their intake when they're just guestimating portions without weighing or measuring...there have been numerous studies to this effect. On average, people underestimate by as much as 20 - 30% when they're just eye balling it. It's one of the reasons that "it just doesn't work" for so many people here...they're underestimating they're intake and think they're at a deficit when in reality they consuming far more calories than they think they are.
    That's what I've noticed. I'm kind of shocked at how spot on or under my foods are. Obviously, when I wasn't paying attention my portion sizes were WAY bigger, but I knew they were and just didn't care enough. It's good to know that I'm not underestimating though now that I do actually care.