Struggling to Lose Weight/Consume Enough Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• brcann
    brcann Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will definitely look into getting a scale. But the most troubling thing about this is that I've been working out more and eating the same that I did since I was losing weight those first three weeks but all of a sudden gained weight... I've been tossing and turning instead of sleeping for a week now trying to figure it out but I guess it just comes down to my calories burned!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will definitely look into getting a scale. But the most troubling thing about this is that I've been working out more and eating the same that I did since I was losing weight those first three weeks but all of a sudden gained weight... I've been tossing and turning instead of sleeping for a week now trying to figure it out but I guess it just comes down to my calories burned!

Yes those burns are very very high,

And if you aren't measuring food right, how do you know you are eating the same?

Scale. Do it.
  • brcann
    Options

And if you aren't measuring food right, how do you know you are eating the same?

Scale. Do it.

i've generally been eating the exact same meals, lean cuisine, salad, cereal. same measuring cups, etc. i have even taken away calories, like i generally eat a salad with my dinner but i've taken that away and started exercising for ten more minutes 3 times a week but all i've seen is weight gain... i have been honestly recording my food and all that good stuff but i guess a scale will be my saving grace! counting calories and dieting seems to be taking over my life haha
  • pcastagner
    Options

Scale. Do it.

i've generally been eating the exact same meals, lean cuisine, salad, cereal. same measuring cups, etc. i have even taken away calories, like i generally eat a salad with my dinner but i've taken that away and started exercising for ten more minutes 3 times a week but all i've seen is weight gain... i have been honestly recording my food and all that good stuff but i guess a scale will be my saving grace! counting calories and dieting seems to be taking over my life haha

Simplify!

And I don't know how you can eat lean cuisine.

It is fantastically easy to put your oven on a very low temp setting and cook a roast that way (it takes 6 or more hours but you don't have to check on it!). Or make a big pot of rice and freeze individual portions. Boom you have 80% of your food for the next week.

Trying to lose? Salad is great, but dressing is not your friend. Learn to love vinegar, and have some extra meat instead of that dressing. Protein is your friend.
  • brcann
    Options

Scale. Do it.

Simplify!

And I don't know how you can eat lean cuisine.

It is fantastically easy to put your oven on a very low temp setting and cook a roast that way (it takes 6 or more hours but you don't have to check on it!). Or make a big pot of rice and freeze individual portions. Boom you have 80% of your food for the next week.

Trying to lose? Salad is great, but dressing is not your friend. Learn to love vinegar, and have some extra meat instead of that dressing. Protein is your friend.
    [/quote

ah thank you, i will put all of your advice! i'm trying to stop eating lean cuisine cause i know there's a ton of sodium and all those preservatives but i just am on a time crunch and limited budget haha. will try vinegar next time i have a salad! thank you again so much! you've been incredibly helpful!
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Trust me, cooking big pieces of meat at low temp works really well and takes very little effort. Almost the same as microwaving some lean cuisine.

You need:

Oven that will go to lower temps (sometimes you have to use the "keep warm" setting
    A temperature probe (they are cheap)
    A big pice of meat

I'm talking low temps. Like. If you see bubbles, it's way too hot.

Convert to Fahrenheit if you need to but:

beef at 60c
    Pork at 65c
    Turkey breast at 75c
    Whole Chicken at 90c

When it is done, your beef will read 55c, pork 60c, fowl 65 c

YouTube: Heston blumenthal's videos for more precise info and ideas

For leaner stuff with no layer of fat to protect it, wrap it I in foil. Lots of ovens have delay timers on them, so you can throw it in when you leave rom work, and come home to a roast. Or, for beef and pork, throw it in when you go to bed and transfer to the fridge in the morning.

The pork, beef, and turkey breast are easier to track

For quick and dirty math, multiply the cooked weight by 1.2 to log it using the raw meat values.

The only thing stopping you from delicious and economical eating is imagination, determination, and information. You got this!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

that is one thing packaged (diet) food is good for it that it tells you exactly what's in it. Yes there are still variations (up to 20% apparently), but it's a bit more difficult with home cooked food. To transition from one to the other is however crucial for long term success, because ultimately you aren't going to live off lean cuisine for the rest of your life.

Good luck though and don't let it get you down :-)

PS.: I squeeze some lemon juice on my salads instead of vinegar
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo what has been said here already, I believe you are working out too much, your body needs some rest days to recover.

Your diet looks ok, fresh foods are equally nice and rather easy to cook. If you're just cooking for yourself, cook enough for 2 or 4 and put half in the freezer. It's going to taste much better plus you control the salt content. I did notice you typically don't go over any of the macros you are tracking but you did this week. Just one day of too much salt will cause your body to retain water. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water and getting enough fiber.

Take it one day at a time and allow yourself to have a few days off. I don't workout every day and I still have my treats and such. This is a lifelong journey and you need to be happy and this has to be sustainable.

God bless
  • brcann
    Options
    Trust me, cooking big pieces of meat at low temp works really well and takes very little effort. Almost the same as microwaving some lean cuisine.

You need:

Oven that will go to lower temps (sometimes you have to use the "keep warm" setting
    A temperature probe (they are cheap)
    A big pice of meat

I'm talking low temps. Like. If you see bubbles, it's way too hot.

Convert to Fahrenheit if you need to but:

beef at 60c
    Pork at 65c
    Turkey breast at 75c
    Whole Chicken at 90c

When it is done, your beef will read 55c, pork 60c, fowl 65 c

YouTube: Heston blumenthal's videos for more precise info and ideas

For leaner stuff with no layer of fat to protect it, wrap it I in foil. Lots of ovens have delay timers on them, so you can throw it in when you leave rom work, and come home to a roast. Or, for beef and pork, throw it in when you go to bed and transfer to the fridge in the morning.

The pork, beef, and turkey breast are easier to track

For quick and dirty math, multiply the cooked weight by 1.2 to log it using the raw meat values.

The only thing stopping you from delicious and economical eating is imagination, determination, and information. You got this!

i will definitely try this! thank you so so much!
  • brcann
    Options

that is one thing packaged (diet) food is good for it that it tells you exactly what's in it. Yes there are still variations (up to 20% apparently), but it's a bit more difficult with home cooked food. To transition from one to the other is however crucial for long term success, because ultimately you aren't going to live off lean cuisine for the rest of your life.

Good luck though and don't let it get you down :-)

PS.: I squeeze some lemon juice on my salads instead of vinegar

you make a great point that i won't be living off of lean cuisine for the rest of my life haha. thank you so much for all your help!
  • brcann
    Options
    I'm going to echo what has been said here already, I believe you are working out too much, your body needs some rest days to recover.

Your diet looks ok, fresh foods are equally nice and rather easy to cook. If you're just cooking for yourself, cook enough for 2 or 4 and put half in the freezer. It's going to taste much better plus you control the salt content. I did notice you typically don't go over any of the macros you are tracking but you did this week. Just one day of too much salt will cause your body to retain water. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water and getting enough fiber.

Take it one day at a time and allow yourself to have a few days off. I don't workout every day and I still have my treats and such. This is a lifelong journey and you need to be happy and this has to be sustainable.

God bless

i would love to take a day off from the gym but if i don't i tend to get incredibly stressed out about my eating and my diet and i feel horrible about myself if i haven't done some form of cardio that day. but i will definitely try and drink more water and get more fiber. i'm slowly going to make the transition from frozen meals to fresh meals! thank you!