How on Earth Do You Maintain?!

Hey guys! I'm going to be maintaining in November, working out 3-5x a week to maintain health... but I have no clue what to do physically! There are no sports I (think I) really like to the point where I'd do it very much, and I am a student so I do not have a ton of money to spend nor can I just go do stuff whenever I like. I tend to enjoy ultimate frisbee, running/hiking, biking, parkour, ballet, soccer, horseback riding, and lifting heavy stuff (like moving trees, lifting hay bales), all in moderation. General adventure, running around and climbing type stuff but I very quickly see exercise as a chore. I need a purpose for my exercise, so to speak. I need to feel pain and sweat and a quick heartbeat in order to feel as if my exercise is worthwhile. (I am also very limited in where I can go. I live in the burbs and the nearest facilities to run are 15 mins away.)

I read somewhere where we should focus on establishing habits that lead us to maintain our health. I've got the food part covered for the most part (unless you guys have any tips, that'd be REALLY great!). I'd like to know what your hunger cues feel like? Sometimes I get headachey only but feel satisfied in stomach/throat, other times I'm slightly hungry and rumbly and headachey... and then once I eat my hunger rushes in and I possibly overeat because of my perceived hunger. I drink plenty of water (and only water except cider for the holidays, and plain tea occasionally), that's no issue.

Any suggestions, experiences, etc? Much appreciated!

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Try continuing to count calories for a while after you move to maintenance. After a few months, try going a couple of weeks without and keep track of your weight. If you gain, you need to keep counting. I feel like eventually you will learn to eat at maintenance without thinking too much about it with enough practice.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    CORRECT!!! You need to view this NOT as a diet but as a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. You will always watch what you eat and you will always exercise. And this is not so different than what a skinny person does, They eat in moderation and they exercise. SOOO
    welcome to your new lifestyle change. People fail at diet and you are not going to fail..
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    I constantly make sure I'm not eating out of my calorie range, I'm still working out - but I splurge just a bit more now than I did before. I'm more "in tune" with what I'm putting in my mouth, but I'm still holding myself accountable for what I eat, and making sure I document it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Maintaining is easy. I just keep logging and do what I did to lose weight, just with a few hundred more calories to play with. I'm pretty set with it as a lifestyle now and don't let it consume my life.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    You say you like lifting heavy things and are a student - I assume college student. If so, why not use the university gym and lift weights?
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    I'm hoping to continue the great habits I learnt during my weight loss years.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    As far as seeing a "goal" for your exercise, why not try signing up for a race or training for a race? There are plenty of free training guides out there (Hal Higdon has some great ones for half marathon and marathon distances online for free) and that would definitively give you a "purpose". You can try to find some Meet Up groups in your area that run as well. It can be really motivating and rewarding to train for an event and have a running group.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Very carefully.
  • If you live in the suburbs, you can run through neighborhoods. If you want a purpose, start training for something like a 5k or a half marathon or whatever level you are at. That's what I'm thinking of doing soon to really have a purpose for my runs!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    If you go back to your old habits you will get your old results. You need to keep doing the things that helped you lose weight: count your calories, move your body to get exercise, and drink plenty of water. Continue to log everything. Good luck.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Have you considered sports officiating?
    I officiated football for 35 years and had absolutely no weight problems until I had to retire from the field.
    You mentioned soccer. Officiate it. Keeping up with the rules will keep you mentally sharp and all the running will burn lots of calories.
    Basketball also requires a substantial amount of running.
    Hockey, if you are a skater.
    Lacrosse?
    Just about any sport needs more officials.
    Besides the benefits of the exercise and the mental sharpness that you must maintain to stay on top of the rules, you get paid for your efforts. Not a lot, but more than you'd make running around the block.
    With youth leagues, teams from schools, and numerous other organizations, you could stay busy almost year around.
    Why not give it a shot?
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    I'd go volunteering in a nearby farm!
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    It been mentioned before but you need to avoid the status quo of being in "maintenance". You now just need a new set of goals.
    This varies from person to person. Some want to get a 6 pack, some want to run a marathon some want to start a new sport they never have been able to do because of weight. In my case I wanted to wakeboard, but could never fit in a wet suit. I actually didnt take to it and hitted cycling hard instead.
    You have done something amazing to get this far. Now up the game and aim for some new goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Folks, I don't think "maintain" in the OPs mind means what you think it means.

agree.. I'm not sure what's going on but there seems to be a disconnect.

Says she works out 3-5 times a week but is looking for ways to work out? I'm confused.

regardless- do some research on TDEE/BMR- and then start checking out body weight only sites

nerdfitness.com has some great ones
    angrytrainerfitness.com
    lovingfit.com
    thedailyhiit.com/bodyrock.tv
    zuzuka light on youtube
    bodyripped.net
    bar brothers on you tube

TONS of stuff to do without equipment or minimal equipment

- no gym- no problems.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    I'm not sure what you want from us. You already work out often. Are you asking how to know when to stop eating?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    I maintain myself by weighing myself at least twice a week and reacting if my weight goes up. I also try to eat basically healthy food, although when under stress I tend to eat badly, but I make up for it.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    If you're a student, there must be facilities that you can use for free or low-cost. You have to explore and find something you like and then make a point of doing it regularly.