Help: Squash Recipes Wanted

Options
nypa96
nypa96 Posts: 30 Member
I have been given a bunch of squash by a friend; however, I really have only eaten/cooked spaghetti squash. So I need HELP!!!!! I need some yummy recipes that use squash.

I have the following kinds of squash:

Acorn
Buttercup
Butternut
(more kinds to come tomorrow night after I determine what kind they are) LOL

Also, any suggestions on how to preserve the squash would be welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• TracyDP
    TracyDP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Squash Soup

2 tbsp olive oil

2 celery stalks(diced small)

2 carrots(peeled & diced)

2 Parsnips

2 sweet potatoes (peeled & cubed)

1 butternut squash (peeled & cubed)

2 cloves minced garlic

1 diced onion

1 Tbsp Montreal steak spice, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp celery seed

1 lg carton chicken stock

Saute garlic, onion and celery in oil. Add spices. When clear and sticky, add vegetables and stir till covered. Add chicken stock and cook until the vegetables are soft. Mash when cool then puree in the blender. YUM!

…and it freezes beautifully!
  • nypa96
    nypa96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks TracyDP. Looks like a good recipe for a cold wintry day. :)
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    So, this isn't so much a recipe, but since your squash experience is limited, here's what you can do, for sure with acorn squash, and I've been told others: Poke it with a fork a few times and put it in the oven for an hour or so (until it's soft). That's it! Cut in half, scoop out the seeds, then scoop out the squash, and eat! I just had it last week and added only cinnamon. It has its own sweetness, so you could add only salt instead for a good flavor.

I used to fight with cutting raw acorn squash. That's the usual way to make it--cut in half or in chunks while raw, scoop out the seeds, put it face down on a baking sheet with a bit of water in it. Cook for about an hour. Turn over and maybe add butter, cinnamon, etc. to cook a bit longer. But raw acorn squash is so firm it's hard to cut.

Cooking them whole is SO easy and tastes just the same. Adding butter is delicious, but unnecessary. (Note: poking with the fork is really important. I've heard they can explode otherwise.)

Enjoy!
  • harryandsally
    harryandsally Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There's always the old standby.... Whack an acorn squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, use a folk and poke the insert full of holes put a slice of bacon (or chopped up raw bacon) and a little brown sugar in the hollow, and bake, cut sides up, at 350 for an hour. I usually put a little water in the bottom of the pain. (Just make sure you don't poke all the way through the skin or all the goodies you just put in will leak out.)
  • CarmenDsewell
    Options
    Peel and dice butternut and mix with a little brown sugar, butter and salt to taste...Bake in single layer in cookie sheet, stir half way through cooking. Bake time about 25-30 minutes. Yum!
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Acorn squash cut in half ,scoop out seeds and bake in oven .Saute spicy chicken sausage (I used Italian chicken sausage)apples ,breadcrumbs,onion, Parmesan,1 stalk of celery and spices and 1 egg.Take acorn squash out of oven when done and fill mixture evenly in both half's.Bake another 30 minutes. This was delicious. Find exact recipe at skinnytaste.com