Need help with 9 year ols

Options

Replies

• Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

But that being said all these people who are saying it is madness to test this...are you aware that north american children are on average overweight and/or obese....many are getting type 2 diabetes in their early years....my own neice had to have her gall bladder removed due to her poor diet and obesity.

1 in 3 kids in the US are now classed as overweight and/or obese....that is madness. I may get bashed for this but the problem is that people don't want their kids to feel "bad"...that they don't measure up...that whole "no kid left behind" mentailty that has gone too far...where there are no losers all winners and get a medal for showing up...give me a break.:grumble:

I absolutely agree with this.

No one wants their child singled out for being "below" averages, but how can you help your child improve if you don't know they need help?
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Is 4'9" tall for a 9 year old boy? I keep seeing "tall for his age" and I am just curious as a mom to an average height kid.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My son is 8. He's 4'5" and 62lbs. He's skinny when you see him with clothes on. Without a shirt, he's a musclehead lol he's proud too.

He takes taekwondo 3 times a week. They run laps, do pushups, sit ups, jumps, etc. He is very fit. His class had a challenge yesterday for pushups. His opponent did 8, my son did 42. This kid does 20-40 pushups 3x a week.

Outside of his taekwondo class, he's always on his bike, running, climbing trees, being a kid.

He has limited screen time.

It's all about the importance parents put on fitness. Not so much as in sports and losing weight etc, but to explain that we eat well and exercise to be healthy and strong. My 4 year old is now taking taekwondo classes too, she's getting the right form for pushups and she can do 5 already!

Take him with you on bike rides, runs (maybe start small and work up to 1 mile, etc)... Make it a family affair!
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ^^^ this ^^^

^this^
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Oh, if it's about strength, then take him indoor climbing. Forget push ups - I've met loads of kids who could crack out dozens of pull ups! (Used to work at a climbing wall.)
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    What the H... happened to dodge ball and floor hockey and TAG! And why on earth are we measuring our kids on their ability to do a chin up, by how fast they run or if they can do push ups and sit ups? This absolutely urks me. When I was a kid there was no testing. We went to gym class and ran our *kitten* off. We had to start changing clothes in grade 6 for gym becasue we sweat so hard and by grade 8 many of us were showering becasue we were sweaty and stinky and we weren't standing around getting tested on how fast we were or how many dang push ups we could do. BTW, when did a kid's muscle strength become so important. They need to get that heart rate going not bench press 220.

I am 38 years old and I still can't do a "man" push up. And chin ups, are you kidding me. I am working on strength now, but it is for me and no one else. But guess what, now I can out run many of the kids that could. Most of my former classmates would not have came in at 2 hours in there first half marathon - but I did. And I can think of 2, maybe 3 of my former classmates that would even contemplate running a full marathon. But I am in pre-trainining mode - and I'll do my first in 4. I was tall, awkward, lanky....pretty much all through school - my 12 year old is a mirror image of me 26 years ago. And I can see her becoming a runner. She would never win a race, nor would I, but we have determiniation and endurance so we will finish it.

I HATE standardize testing in general. It is not so much about how your child is doing, but moreso how the school is doing but at the end of it the child is the one feeling badly about themselves. We have run into this time and time again with our daughter. She never excels in standardize testing (average at best), but she is consistently in the top 10% of her class in her grades. So, I put very little faith in those tests. Actually none really.

Sorry to vent - I just think it sounds like your son is a normal 9 year old boy. Don't think you need to enroll him in every sport in the book now either. My kids are enrolled in more artistic activities - music, etc (and swimming lessons cuz that is a life skill) and activities that will last them a lifetime. My daughter is 12 and she is taking scuba lessons. She will be padi certified in a few months and that is a physical activity that she can do long into her adulthood and senior age if she likes. When they have off time and they are going to the "screens" we will kick them outside to play - biking, trampolining, walking...just kids being kids.
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a 9yr old....and she tested as well. I can honestly say that I'm not opposed to the fitness testing, as I went through it at her age. She, too, was the slowest in her class. She's average size (not thick/not a stick) That very week she started lacing up and running on the treadmill once I was done with my run....but it only lasted that week. I agree that is where our young ones learn active habits. I'm guilty....my husband and my daughter both will sit down on the computer and play video games. During the winter I'm ok with it....but over the summer I haven't been pulling her off/away from it like I should have. They are both extreme home bodies.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Is 4'9" tall for a 9 year old boy? I keep seeing "tall for his age" and I am just curious as a mom to an average height kid.

Google growth charts for boys....2-20 as there are two..one for infants/toddlers and the other for the rest.

My doctor pulled it out when my son was an infant because his grandparents were afraid my milk wasn' enough (they just wanted to feed him too...hehe)

You take their age/height and get a percentile ie my son was 105th percentile and weight 50th ...long and skinny...even after 2 his measurments stayed the same (percentile wise) even now at 19 he is in the 90th percentile for both..(6 ft 2 and 200lbs)
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is madness!

Testing little kids and making them feel inadequate because they can't run to a certain speed or do a bunch of sit-ups is like some kind of brown-shirt nightmare.

What happened to letting kids be kids?

As long as he is getting some fresh air and engaging in some physical activities appropriate to his age (which you say he is), then I wouldn't worry about him being an olympian just yet.

Not really, 9 year olds aren't toddlers anymore. Children that age should be doing some sort of physical activity that challenges them. The habits that a 9 year old forms may set the stage for his future health. You're not doing a kid any favors by waiting until they're in high school and then telling them it's time to start exercising. At that point the kid will think that they're just naturally not athletic, when in reality they've just never been in shape.

I used to play all sorts of sports throughout elementary school, and I clearly remember how out of shape and slow I got during the off season b/w sports. If I had never played those sports I probably would have just thought that I was slow and not good at running or sports. Nor would I have been able to make any of the sports teams I played on during highs school, which taught me what my athletic limits were. Those memories made losing weight and getting back into shape a lot easier after letting myself go for awhile.
    Both of m boys (11 and 10) play organized sports throughout the year. They both play football, basketball and baseball, so they are in sports year round. They both play sports at a competitive level for their age, both playing traveling basketball and baseball. This guarantees nothing in regards to athleticism. Both struggle with pushup, neither can do pullups, and both are no better than average in speed.

Playing organized sports would definitely be beneicial to the OPs kids, but they aren't going to make massive improvements in his upper body strength or 40 time if he is already an active kid. Genetics is going to play a bigger role at that point until they are old enough for serious training.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just wanted to add- not everything has to be "team sports" oriented- I didn't do well with teams up till I joined CC in high school. I didn't like team sports- I didn't fit in and they were stressful.

I think doing something more individually based (swimming or running) was a great choice- still team/comrade deal- but you were your own person- if you succeeded that was great- and if you failed it was on you.

so doesn't have to be ALL basketball soccer baseball football team sports- those CAN be stressful- but not to say there aren't other options (fencing/rockblimbing anyone!)
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    What the H... happened to dodge ball and floor hockey and TAG! And why on earth are we measuring our kids on their ability to do a chin up, by how fast they run or if they can do push ups and sit ups? This absolutely urks me. When I was a kid there was no testing. We went to gym class and ran our *kitten* off. We had to start changing clothes in grade 6 for gym becasue we sweat so hard and by grade 8 many of us were showering becasue we were sweaty and stinky and we weren't standing around getting tested on how fast we were or how many dang push ups we could do. BTW, when did a kid's muscle strength become so important. They need to get that heart rate going not bench press 220.

I am 38 years old and I still can't do a "man" push up. And chin ups, are you kidding me. I am working on strength now, but it is for me and no one else. But guess what, now I can out run many of the kids that could. Most of my former classmates would not have came in at 2 hours in there first half marathon - but I did. And I can think of 2, maybe 3 of my former classmates that would even contemplate running a full marathon. But I am in pre-trainining mode - and I'll do my first in 4. I was tall, awkward, lanky....pretty much all through school - my 12 year old is a mirror image of me 26 years ago. And I can see her becoming a runner. She would never win a race, nor would I, but we have determiniation and endurance so we will finish it.

I HATE standardize testing in general. It is not so much about how your child is doing, but moreso how the school is doing but at the end of it the child is the one feeling badly about themselves. We have run into this time and time again with our daughter. She never excels in standardize testing (average at best), but she is consistently in the top 10% of her class in her grades. So, I put very little faith in those tests. Actually none really.

Sorry to vent - I just think it sounds like your son is a normal 9 year old boy. Don't think you need to enroll him in every sport in the book now either. My kids are enrolled in more artistic activities - music, etc (and swimming lessons cuz that is a life skill) and activities that will last them a lifetime. My daughter is 12 and she is taking scuba lessons. She will be padi certified in a few months and that is a physical activity that she can do long into her adulthood and senior age if she likes. When they have off time and they are going to the "screens" we will kick them outside to play - biking, trampolining, walking...just kids being kids.
    maybe if you cared more about your health and fitness as a child you wouldn't be so weak today. something like say a test to determine where you fall on the fitness scale would have been beneficial as a child... hmmmm.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Do talk to his pediatrician. I started to notice that my almost 4 year old can't keep up with the other 3 and 4 year olds when running and playing. She breathes really heavy and they often lap her. She usually stops and sits down first too. Turns out she has asthma. I'm supposed to give her her inhaler before play, but with a 4 yearold play is pretty spontaneous so treatment is usually administered after the fact. Anyway it's something to think about. Physical standards don't always mean anything, but if he is outside the norm it could be because of a pyhsical, treatable problem.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This is madness!

Testing little kids and making them feel inadequate because they can't run to a certain speed or do a bunch of sit-ups is like some kind of brown-shirt nightmare.

As long as he is getting some fresh air and engaging in some physical activities appropriate to his age (which you say he is), then I wouldn't worry about him being an olympian just yet.

I agree. Reading this post made me wonder wtf is wrong with his school. Most schools do the mile run a couple times a year and mine did situps once a year, but they never warned us in advance so there was no training to be done.

But I agree about talking to the pediatrician as well just to make sure there's nothing wrong since he's tall and thin, yet the absolute slowest and can't do a pushup. He might just not be particularly athletic, but it's also possible that he has a health problem.

Edit: Typo
  • jazzii98
    Options
    When I was 9, all the exercise I did was school pe and playing outside with my friends. As long as your child's weight is not effecting them medically, don't make your 9 year old worry about food or exercise. Just don't.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    my son is 10 and is very active his teacher keeps telling me he is tired in school, I don't see it, he sleeps 12 hours so I never thought he was tired, anyway I took him to the Dr. and they did a bunch of blood tests and found out his iron is almost at 0 and the number should be over 100, and his Thyroid is not functioning properly. Now I wonder how long this has been going on because I never saw any problems
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Ask which sport he likes and let him join a team like basketball, soccer, etc. or let him take some lessons in carate, climbing, horeseback riding, etc. There musst be something he likes and it will make him physicaly stronger and fitter.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This is madness!

This is my thoughts exactly. I wasn't ever able to pushups until I was in the military. Sounds like your son is in a basic training nightmare that I experienced when I was 22 years old. I think I'd be having a parent-teacher conference.
  • Diggedydog
    Options
    This is madness!

^^^ this ^^^

There is too much 'monitoring' of kids at such young ages these days. So he runs a little slower, so what! So long as he's healthy and can actually run it matters not a jot how fast.

If your son wants to do more sports, by all means encourage him but also reassure him that someone has to be the slowest, and that (as I'm sure is the case) he is top of the class in other ways. I say that as a mum to a now 16 year old who was not good at PE/games at school, particularly at 7-12 years old. Happily my encouragement worked and although the only sport he does now is fencing he is fit and healthy and he wants some weights for Christmas :-)

I think we over test kids as well but North America is in the throes of an obesity epidemic and has downloaded some of the responsibility to the schools, so they have to figure out where they are to get to where they want to be. As for starting in grade four, I would encourage activity and keep him active by running with him, walking with him and encouragigf sport participation. Many may think he is too young to be worried but it will be a lot easier to build habits now than when he is in the throes of puberty. My parents were concerned before I hit puberty and did little to change my habits then got mad when I ballooned up in my late teens and when I wouldn't change the habits they hadhelped instill.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just a thought as I was very lean and tall at 9 years. I also have a kinesthestic problem with my muscles and often was slower and had difficulties with strength and coordinating my muscles then other children. Has he ever had an evaluation by a orthopedic or physical therapist?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    This is madness!

This is my thoughts exactly. I wasn't ever able to pushups until I was in the military. Sounds like your son is in a basic training nightmare that I experienced when I was 22 years old. I think I'd be having a parent-teacher conference.

you couldn't do a push up till you were in the military- so what at the VERY youngest you were 18- at the oldest what 27?

that's your own fault or your parents fault. call it what it is- but outside of physical limitations/medical reasons- anyone who spends a few weeks/months working on it- can train to do them. at any age. basic shouldn't have been a nightmare for a 22 year old. that's WHY the schools are adding this crap in... because our children are getting lazier and fatter every year.