Confessions of a Sugar Addict

Options
If you can lose weight, feel healthy, amazing, and awesome consuming sugar and high-glycemic carbohydrates, all in moderation, my hat is off to you. Congratulations on finding what works for you.

But there are many of us who have to restrict, or downright eliminate, such foods in order to give us enough control to reach and maintain our goals health, weight, and fitness goals. In the case of the incredibly high amount of people now dealing with insulin resistance and blood sugar issues, this is literally life or death.

I'll use myself as an example here:

I have no issues with portion control.
I learned the definition of "true hunger" ages ago. I eat, and don't eat, pretty intuitively.
I am not a snacker.
Nothing inside of me has a drive to consume food all day.
I naturally gravitate toward a diet that's high in protein, fat, fruit, and lots of vegetables and fruit.
I am not an emotional eater.
95% of what I drink is water.
I eat very little processed food and "white" foods. This isn't a struggle, I simply don't crave them often anymore.

Eating this way allows me to lose, and maintain, weight without counting calories or weighing food. I feel amazing eating this way and it's not a struggle at all. My health is excellent and I haven't had so much as a cold in 10 years.This feels completely natural and right for me.

But I have a problem with sugar. My mother, a T2 diabetic whose health deteriorated for years due to her issues with the same struggle, before finally dying too young, had the same problem. As did my grandfather. I have a paternal aunt, a sugar addict, who was morbidly obese and dropped dead in the hospital emergency room from complications with blood sugar and obesity. I have to be very mindful of avoiding a similar fate.

My fatness started very early in childhood and was marked by a diet full of sugar, hi-GI carbohydrates, processed food, and a lack of adequate exercise. These issues I found a way to correct in my adult life and I maintained my weight for years eating this way.

But yet sugar, for me, is a problem. I have never been able to eat sugar in moderation. I eventually regained the weight I lost in my late teens by deciding to incorporate sugar back into my diet, you know, "in moderation" (though there were other issues as well).

It proved to be a disaster that led me right back to obesity for many years, as I spiraled out of control.

I can eat anything in moderation; give me a great pizza and I can go months or years without craving another slice. I am an amateur chef who can make some pretty killer pasta dishes, and yet be perfectly satisfied laying that down if I need to. Others have issues with these kinds of foods triggering them off, I personally do not. I have no desire to incorporate them in my everyday life, but I absolutely do not shun them if a craving comes knocking.

Sugar is my singular trigger. And it's bad. I almost always consume it in excess. There is no such thing as "two or three cookies" for me; ice cream is literally my favorite food in the world, and having just a half a cup of that isn't happening. I freaking love cake. Worse still, when I try and incorporate sugar into my diet, it kicks off cravings for other foods. So to make matters worse I'm not only spiraling out of control with the sugar, I'm now craving carb heavy stuff overall. Suddenly my "true hunger" is replaced by constant cravings, cravings that make moderation and all my strong will power almost moot.

I don't eliminate sugar from my diet anymore. I have no desire to do that at all. I am the strongest now I've ever been when it comes to food control. But even now "moderation" for me means allowing myself sugar and sweets just on occasion, and just eating as much as I want to when I do. So instead of trying to find a way to incorporate it daily, in moderation, I have to limit it to a few times a month and abstain the remainder of the time. That's what's worked for me and finally allowed me the freedom to eat in a manner that is highly effective for my goals and health, but also have no completely off limits foods.

I now love the way I eat and am grateful to have found a way that works so well for me. It took many years of trial and error to get to this point.

It's easy to stand back and laugh at, or judge, those of us with real, unfortunate control issues when it comes to sugar (or high carbohydrate foods). Just do it in "moderation" you say and everything will be OK.

It's not that simple for all of us. Trust me, I so wish it were.

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It really is simple.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. Usually the argument comes when other posters start talking about the "dangers" of sugar.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It really is simple.

Yes, I have found a simple, right way for me. Thank God. I hope others with similar issues find what works for them.
    Thank you for posting this. Usually the argument comes when other posters start talking about the "dangers" of sugar.

I appreciate that!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but you ARE eating sugar in moderation. Your moderation has you eating sugar less frequently than mine. So what? Is someone really telling you that you have to eat it every day or it doesn't count?

I only have a problem with the 'OMG, sugar is evil, I can never eat it ever, ever again. Now give me a piece of fruit' crowd. I suspect I'm not alone in this.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is that if you eat fruits or pasta or a bunch of other things you are eating sugar. Most pasta is high GI. Yet you manage. Not challenging but interested, how do you think that works?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is that if you eat fruits or pasta or a bunch of other things you are eating sugar. Most pasta is high GI. Yet you manage. Not challenging but interested, how do you think that works?

I'm curious about that as well.

In terms of my own experience, I have to watch sugars/carbs for medical reasons, and I find that certain types of foods really set me off and others not so much. For example, starchy veggies are ok with me, and so are most fruits. I can eat a small portion and have no problems later on in terms of carb/sugar cravings. Same with very dark (85% cocoa or more) chocolate. I can eat a square or two and be satisfied and done with it. But a spoonful of nutella, for instance, will make my life very difficult in terms of trying to maintain portion control and not go off the deep end and have ALL the sugary stuff.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I too, suffer the same problem. I sold my TV for a sugar cube once, at my lowest point resorted to prostitution for a malteaser and eventually lost my home. I sought help and now I am in a much better place.
  • katieme
    katieme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Reading this has really helped me, I have been moderating my sugar intake succesfully for 3 months untill last month after a slice of birthday cake I've gradually fallen off the waggon and have been a sugar monster eating bags of sweets for no reason and obsessing about my next fix!

Today I'm going to stay on track!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP, I totally understand where you are coming from.

I eat in a similar fashion to the way that you described. But when I stray from that path - there is no moderation for me either. It's either not at all or a packet of chocolate biscuits/until there is no more in the house...

Well done on your weight loss, I wish you well.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I motivate myself to work out by promising myself a bag of sour belts. And my post and pre workout snacks are gummy bears.

:huh:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    OP: I have a strong sweet addiction myself. I know it gets tiring hearing about "just do it in moderation. Simple!" and I agree, for some it isn't so simple, specially with trigger foods. But after some hard work and patience, it WILL be this easy.

about 1.5 years ago, I could eat 2 pints of ice cream in one sitting and not think twice about it. Actually, I can (and sometimes, do) still do it but I have much better self-control. This came with time. I started by going simple. I forced myself to just keep myself under the calories set by MFP. I failed, shrugged, tried again. Failed, shrugged, tried again. Did this over and over till I got the hang of it. I still lose control but not nearly as much as before.

Now, I eat about 200 calories worth of junk food daily and typically without much issues. Overtime, I know, you will be the same.

PS. I have learned that high intensity workouts usually take the sweet cravings from me. Somebody explained to me about chemicals being released from workouts that're similar to those that causes cravings or something and hence suppresses it (don't ask me for detail, I can't explain it properly).

Good luck.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Good post. You explained it very well. I agree with the person above who says you are eating it in moderation -- I'm not sure there's a consensus on what "moderation" means in terms of frequency and amount. I'm very glad you found what works for you!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Reading this has really helped me, I have been moderating my sugar intake succesfully for 3 months untill last month after a slice of birthday cake I've gradually fallen off the waggon and have been a sugar monster eating bags of sweets for no reason and obsessing about my next fix!

Today I'm going to stay on track!

I look at this as an addictive behavior (cravings for sweets/carbs etc). Just like an alcoholic that has gotten their act together. They say it only takes that one glass or sip to spiral an alcoholic back off the wagon. It is the same with a food addict (yes I feel this is me too). It will only take that one sweet/slice of cake etc and off the wagon you go and it is so hard to find your way back on track. for me, I eat what I know won't trigger me to fall off the wagon. As much as I want that goodie, I stay away from it, for I know now, what it will do to me.

Yes I have a sweet every so often, but I make sure it is a sweet, I can handle and not fall off the wagon so to speak. My down falls are coffee cakes (or cake) and chips. I love chips and if I have one chip, I eat the whole bag and off the wagon I go. So I don't touch these items at all. "zero" now adays.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Curious, how is it that you eat carbs (sugar) but the 'addiction' does not kick in ....?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i am just going to through this out there....once an alcoholic is an alcoholic they are one for life, meaning that if they have one drink they immediately go back to having 20 drinks...

My thought would be if one is truly addicted to sugar how could one ever eat it again with not immediately binging on it?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Nice post
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Oh, for heavens' sake! It's quite clear from the OP's post that the issue they have is with refined sugars and foods made/enhanced with them, not the naturally-occurring sugars in various foods. The level of 'carb-sugar-smug' already in this thread is enough to make me see red.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    i am just going to through this out there....once an alcoholic is an alcoholic they are one for life, meaning that if they have one drink they immediately go back to having 20 drinks...

My thought would be if one is truly addicted to sugar how could one ever eat it again with not immediately binging on it?

Actually, not so. That is a very American and 12 step view of alcoholism. It is treated as a dietary (gasp) issue in many other countries and there are moderation programs also. There are many people who also go on to be able to use alcohol reasonably after a period abstinence. Not so black and white.

So what that they choose to severely restrict sugar? What do ya all work for the sugar industry of something? If it makes life easier and "calories in" more manageable than why quibble? And they can eat pasta - bravo! Lucky you. I say congrats for finding what works for you. Good luck and keep up the good work - it is no small feat to lose 100 pounds.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Nope. Abstinence is one approach to treatment and another is harm reduction. Considering the intricate details of addiction (speaking in terms of alcohol and other drugs) that blanket statement is not applicable to all individuals.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Oh, for heavens' sake! It's quite clear from the OP's post that the issue they have is with refined sugars and foods made/enhanced with them, not the naturally-occurring sugars in various foods. The level of 'carb-sugar-smug' already in this thread is enough to make me see red.

Many pizza/pasta sauces contain added sucrose. And where else do we see people "addicted" to something very specific, like alcoholics who only binge drink one variety of alcohol but can drink any other in moderation?