over 50 women... how do we lose weight ladies?

Options

Replies

• lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    We are here (the 50+) but just hovering. My thought is that it "seems harder" to lose as we age BUT we have also had many more years to screw up our metabolism on fad diets and starvation tactics. This is the first plan I have followed religiously mainly because it is SENSIBLE and therefore easy to maintain as a Life change rather than a temporary "diet". I have had wonderful success and feel better than I have in years. I have been "stalled" for 6 mos but I am confident that I will be successful if I just stay the course and keep doing what I am doing. My goal weight is a little further away than I had intended but I'll get there with some patience. Good Luck. :wink:
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Will be 52 next month, and I agree that it is harder. I was doing some research, and it does appear that the reduction in estrogen does have an effect on weight gain.

http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/menopause-weight-gain-and-exercise-tips

"The impact of estrogen. In animal studies, estrogen appears to help regulate body weight. With lower estrogen levels, lab animals tend to eat more and be less physically active. Reduced estrogen may also lower metabolic rate, the rate at which the body converts stored energy into working energy. It is possible the same thing happens with women when estrogen levels decrease after menopause. In fact, some evidence suggests that estrogen hormone therapy increases a woman's resting metabolic rate. This might help slow weight gain. Lack of estrogen may also cause the body to use starches and glucose less effectively (insulin resistance), thus increasing fat storage and making it more difficult to lose weight."

It can be done, I have lost 50 pounds (including pre-MFP) in the last 2 years; reduced intake, increased output. Of course, exercise and proper nutrition supposedly reduce hot flashes, etc. Personally, I find that I only have very very warm flashes because of my regular, fairly intense exercise routine and healthy eating style. :bigsmile: I am less focused on the scale and more focused on how I feel.
  • katherinesau
    Options
    I have definitely found it MUCH more difficult to maintain anything remotely close to a healthy weight over the last year. I followed Elle Garner's book, and that has helped, but my metabolism has definitely slowed down.

Right now I'm experimenting with incorporating Elle's steps, MOVING my body, and using MyFitnessPal (for the first time) to help track calories.

I'm also about to begin a detox - hoping that can jumpstart the sluggishness I feel in my body.

Honestly, it does help to know I am not alone. :)

~Kate (Northeast US)
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Might take us a little longer but the tortise wins the race :-)

I work out 6 days a week at least 30 mins, often 45-60 mins.

I eat clean and no junk. I cook my own meals, going out is not such a great idea.

Nothing but my morning coffee and water for liquids. Occassional homemade fruit smoothie for variety and as a dessert.

No gimmicks or secrets. I am 50+ and have lost 66 lbs since Mar 2013.

Enjoy!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Check out EM2WL (Eat More to Weigh Less) and start strength training to build and replace that muscles you're losing as you age. Drop the idea that you need to eat less and less like an egg and a grapefruit for breakfast and start fueling activity. Tosca Reno's eat clean recipes and workouts are great. She's over 60 and just amazing.

Good luck.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I think it may be a little harder to lose weight as a 50 something than a 20 something. But weight loss is challenging regardless and serious business. It takes a strong personal commitment and one that you renew almost daily to achieve your goals.

I'm 51 and lost 50 pounds over a year eating 1500-1700 calories a day and exercising moderately. I'm proud of what I've accomplished and even happier that I've maintained my weight loss for over a year.

Join us! You can do this as well...best wishes!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by logging, walking at least one hour/day and 5:2 fasting got me over a plateau to my goal. I log every day and if I go over one day, I eat less the next day. It was hard at first but now it's a habit. I also found things to keep me busy so I don't watch as much TV as I used to
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think it is harder just because too many years of not doing what is right and healthy catch up with us. I am 55 and have tried for a couple of years to lose weight with no luck. Found a great alternative meds. dr. who is now helping me to get my body healthy again and the weight is coming off as a side bet! I have always tried to eat healthy but was never able to beat my sugar addiction. As a result I was pre-diabetic, bp was right on the edge, inflammation in my body was an 8 (0-3 normal) and my cholesterol was high. I have been following a whole foods diet at 1300-1400 calories to give my body a rest for a while and working out a couple of days a week but not strenuously. I have lost 10 lbs in approximately 12 weeks and am never hungry. I eat every 3 hours including a medical shake at 9:30 at night before I go to bed. Vitamin D was very low (18) so I now that a supplement. She did my body composition and out of the 10 lbs I lost 9.9 was fat and .1 was muscle. Yah Baby! I will take it that way every time vs. 20 lbs lost with 10 being muscle. My pants are big which was a place I could never lose it before. I still have about 40 left and have resigned myself to the fact that it might take me a year or so but that's ok. I also have 4 bulging disks in my lower back so I am limited as far as exercising. Follow a whole foods diet, get your vitamin D level checked and continue on. It's not a spring, we will need to do some form of this for the rest of our long, healthy lives. Good luck! I also need to mention I got an IGg blood test which is a test for food intolerances due to a compromised digestive system (aka leaky gut). I removed 28 foods from my diet that cause me troubles. Foods such as bananas, cherries, all gourds, all melons, lemons, tomatoes, vanilla, Yeasts (bakers and brewers) peppers, broccoli, caaulflower, etc. etc. Once I removed these foods, my body responded immediately within 2 days and I started to feel much better. A allergy test showed no known allergies to anything. The IGg is different than a regular allergy test. I am also gluten free now.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and began my current weight loss journey on December 27, 2013.

Harder? Perhaps - although I have been trying to lose weight since my late twenties and this is the first time I've been successful That being said, I don't believe the whole TDEE things works after menopause. Changes in the levels and types of estrogen we have in our bodies slows metabolism naturally. So I do that horrible thing that all those TDEE followers despise - I stick to a 1200 calorie diet and I only eat back some of my exercise calories. (OH THE HORRORS!) :frown:

What I have found is that this is not difficult as long as you eat plenty of vegetables and fruits. The fiber fills your belly. Add protein because it keeps you fuller and feeling satisfied longer. Try to stay away from simple carbs and eat as naturally as possible.

I'm not perfect...but I'm happy with my success so far! YOU CAN DO THIS! EVEN AFTER 50!

1zc20c3.jpg
    21kl16r.jpg
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!! to that. It is much harder to lose weight the older you get. Although, it seems to take longer than when I was younger, you still can lose weight as long as you keep track of your calories and try to get some excercise in, most days. Some weeks I just lose a half pound, some one or two, but I will take that. I am feeling much better about myself.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :smile: We work hard, we are Persistant and Consistent with New Healthy Habits, AND we Know that it is NOT all about The Scale --- It Is About Preventing Disease, Staying Indepemdant, and the QUALITY OF LIFE in Our "Golden Years"!
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Actually for me this time loosing the weight has been easier as I am so much more constant with what I eat thanks to MFP. Also I am not driving myself crazy with how fast the weight comes off as long as it comes off steadily. It is hard work, don't get me work, but no matter what age it can be done! You are welcome to friend me if you would like to see what I have been doing. Anyone else also welcome to friend me.
  • wonders13
    Options
    Yep, it's harder for me to lose too! :sad:
  • holliwood322
    holliwood322 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    you look amazing! good ideas you have:love: thanks and keep it up!
  • lesutherl
    lesutherl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am 75 have just restarted (7 days) but have lost 2 lbs. So far except for cravings it seems fairly easy. The test of course is several weeks down the road. I have some mobility problems so exercise right now is not easy, Also type 2 diabetes. I intend to make it to goal 100+ loss. It may take me more than a year but I know that with each lb. I lose I will feel better.
    I will take each day one step at a time. If I go over my limit today, tomorrow i will stay within my range. I refuse to let my age be a factor. I am doing this for me and however long it takes to lose is Ok
  • cseaglass19
    cseaglass19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mamadon,
    You look amazing! Congrats on all the weight lost. I agree that I want to lose the weight for health reasons. Heart disease runs in my family and I want to be here for my kids and future grand kids. I'm 48 and have about 50#s to lose. I've had some issues with depression, hormone imbalance, and high stress in the past several years that has caused me to gain weight. You said watching the calories has worked for you. Have you exercised also? Thanks for posting. You are an inspiration to me.
    Cseaglass19
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I love this thread; it gives me hope.

I've been tracking/exercising since early June. The loss was soooo slow that
    I did the TDEE method for a month and a half and gained/lost the same 5 pounds. Then returned to MFP's recommendations last week.

My main focus is health rather than weight loss because to focus on just weight loss is too discouraging.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    With menopause it's definitely different. The strategies that work when you're younger may not work any more. And "calories in calories out" gets harder as the metabolism slows and the window gets smaller, There are a few really supportive groups here. PM me if you'd like the names/links. Feel free to add me too.

cheers!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    You exercise and log your responsible food!!! You can do it. Just flip your internal switch on that says you can.

^^^ This. Eat less and exercise more, the same guideline for everybody. Sorry, but the age thing is an excuse. Get up and move. Find an exercise you really enjoy or sign up for a class. Just get off the couch.

I'm age 59 and have lost almost 40 pounds this year, thanks to MFP. I'm medically normal now and about 10 pounds to goal. My weight loss has slowed because I'm exercising less due to a more hectic schedule (I went back to college in Sept. in addition to my job) -- not because of my age. I will get there.
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    At 76 I am finding it is much slower than when I was younger - but for some reason I have the will power to stick with it this time! I have yio-yoed up and down many times through the years - but I started this new way of eating in October of 2011 on Atkins - joined MFP in March of this year - and in that time I am down 33 pounds. Very slow - but I have just come off a summer long plateau and am finally back to losing again. I no longer stick to Atkins but try to keep my calories under 1250 and exercise as best I can 3 times a week. When the next plateau hits I hope I have found a way to break it with the help of a friend who runs a Curves. I had tried all the suggestions on MFP but nothing helped until this one - and so far so good! Hang in there - slow loss is much better than any gain!