What's best to eat from subway?

Options
Help! I work at subway full time and everyday on break we're allowed to make ourselves something to eat.
I've gained 5 kgs since working there!
What's best to eat?

Replies

• jennjychung
    jennjychung Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you should play around with the nutrition calculator they have on their website. i found that the worst thing in the sandwich is getting cheese/any flavorful sauce. get avocado instead of mayo, salt/pepper instead of sauce, NO cheese! a lot of the meat is packed with sodium so i would stick to just veggie delight or turkey breast if you need meat. the flatbread is so tasty but it's so bad for you. bread wise i stick to wheat and get it hollowed out for less carbs/calories. hope this helps
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I usually have Subway once a month. Since I've started eating keto, instead of a roasted chicken sandwich on flatbread, I have a double chicken salad with spinach, tomato, avocado and ranch. The higher the fat, the lower the carbs, the better. If you're not watching your carbs though, I would suggest an oven-roasted chicken on a flatbread with lettuce, tomato and vinaigrette dressing OR sweet onion.
  • jennjychung
    jennjychung Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    they charge you so much for it but it's totally worth it :p
  • GMANDREWK
    GMANDREWK Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    6 inch turkey, choice of bread, any of the veg and light mayo (NO cheese).
  • twhite95
    twhite95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm just scared to try new things. :P
    The roast chicken smells really good and is low in fat but idk.
    Think i should start packing fruit salads or something. :P

It also doesn't help having unlimited access to the cookies and soft drinks either :s
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What's best to eat from subway?

The furniture.

Seriously, Subway is just another junk food outlet. Make your own meals and you know what is in it and you can have more control over the calories, macro and micro nutrients.
    All the best,

Ben
  • bumdo
    bumdo Posts: 11
    Options
    It also doesn't help having unlimited access to the cookies and soft drinks either :s

It sort of sounds like you know what you should be eating and what not but its just a matter of controlling yourself :P I know its so tempting, I used to work in a restaurant as well, but I made a rule that I would never eat anything but healthy lunch there. A donut/cookie plus soft drink plus something else a day will make ou put on surprisingly much...
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The nutrition calculator has come to my rescue a time or two.

That said, I don't tend to deviate from my standard order on the occasion I do go. 6" toasted tuna sub on wheat with honey mustard sauce (or sweet chilli if I'm feeling spontaneous!) and ALL THE VEGGIES. Ok, I joke, just the ones I like.

I stay away from cheese, heavy sauces, and breaded/meatball'd fillings. Ham, turkey, or roast beef are what I would go for should I not want fishy breath. Oh, and I avoid those value for money deals that try convince you to purchase a footlong. Because even if I tell myself I won't eat it all...I will because it's there.

Sometimes it helps to set yourself rules. Not punitive ones that punish you for slipping up, but ways to keep yourself in line. When I'm at work, I don't touch the staff lollies and bring my own snacks. If I worked at Subway and wanted to eat their food, I'd pre-log what I was going to have and not allow myself to eat until AFTER it had been entered into MFP.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have one twice a week when I'm at college, chicken breast with 9 grain wheat and I do get grated cheese ;) then all the veggies except gherkins/pickles. If i'm feeling like a treat I get some southwest sauce, yum yum! You will lose fat from a caloric deficit, not from eating healthy. Count it into your calories and macros and you will be fine!
  • superchargedRD
    superchargedRD Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the veggie patty on flat bread with lots of veggies and no cheese. I didn't know the flat bread was so bad for you! Noted. Will they "hollow" it out for you if you ask? I don't know why I'm asking. The people where I live are not health conscious and will have no idea what i'm talking about. I will do myself in the car :)
    They used to have low carb tortillas. I wish that came back.
    Avocado is amazing! However adds a calorie punch. It's a healthy calorie punch, however calorie is a calorie.
  • crapshack
    crapshack Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get a 6" on 9 grain with double turkey, cheese, all veggies, light mayo, and vinaigrette (we call it sub sauce here for some reason).

It's 510 calories but the macros are pretty good for me: 52gC, 19gF, and 37gP plus 6 grams of fiber.

I feel satisfied for hours and it's one of my favourite take out lunches.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    the sweet onion chicken terriyaki is the best flavor and the best nutrients, least sodium for me!
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I eat subway once or twice a month....I always get turkey on wheat with tomato and lettuce, and (very) light on the honey mustard....I love it...it's definitely my guilty pleasure...
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Depends on what macros you have left for the day. If I know I am going to go out I leave a lot of fat and carbs, so I usually get a roast beef footlong (sometimes with double meat) and some cheese, still under 15-20 g of fat in case you are on a low fat diet (which is stupid imo), and If I have a LOT of fat left for the day get one of their sauces and a bag of chips or something. The only problem is that tends to get expensive so I wouldnt mind going with the $5 footlong meal and then getting fats from a protein shake with flax seeds/almonds/walnuts/peanut butter
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Skip the bread and load up on salad with turkey or chicken breast with one of the non-creamy dressings. You'd be able to make yourself a pretty deccent salad.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    a subway salad is good eatin' as long as you're careful about dressings and don't put a lot of fatty processed meat in it, or like loads and loads of cheese. all the other veggies, a little meat, a bit of cheese, some of that avocado....when my daughter was driving cross country, and the local food at many of the stops was really bad, and she can't eat bread, Subway salads were her lifesaver.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I do Subway every Friday. I get the 6" (12" if I've lost weight) turkey and ham on wheat with veggies, pepper jack, regular mustard, red wine vinegar and black pepper.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I can't really comment as I've only eaten there once. £7!! for a sandwich never been so traumatised in my life :noway:
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, I also work at subway!!