Any tips for a rookie?

Options
Hello wonderful people,

So I'm running my first road race on Saturday. It's an urban night 10km run. I've been consistently training for it for the last three months with 3 weeks lost due to illness. I know I can do a 10k as I have done them consistently in training with fairly good times (for a former couch potato:wink:) but I won't lie, I am getting nervous.
I was wondering/hoping that some of you might have some wisdom to share or things learned that you wish you knew before your first race?

Thanks so much
All the best

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything different than your training runs. Don't try a new drink or gel before the race. Don't eat a new food the night before. Wear something you know your comfortable in. Run using all the equipment and gear and clothes you plan to use for the race for your next training run. Have your playlist all cued up, etc. be truthful when picking your pace corral. Don't be afraid to pass people, and don't get upset when you're passed. Try not to get swept up in the adrenaline and go too fast at the jump. Most of all, have fun!
  • VetGirl13
    Options
    Don't do anything different than your training runs. Don't try a new drink or gel before the race. Don't eat a new food the night before. Wear something you know your comfortable in. Run using all the equipment and gear and clothes you plan to use for the race for your next training run. Have your playlist all cued up, etc. be truthful when picking your pace corral. Don't be afraid to pass people, and don't get upset when you're passed. Try not to get swept up in the adrenaline and go too fast at the jump. Most of all, have fun!

Hey thanks, think I'm going to battle most with not being too excited at the start. My training mantra has been - Must...Maintain...Pace
  • icecreammanza
    Options
    Hi

I have just done a 10km race , started training a month ago for a 5150 triathlon in nov and thought a 10km race would be good training. Not exercised in 30 years and have never run 10km in my life. I focussed on goals within the race, 4 km point , then 6, then 8km and then the end. Dividing the race into mini "bites" worked for me. I am nto a good runner and it took me 80 minutes by the way. It was also great motivation to run with other people.

Good luck, 10km;s is not as far as we think it is...
  • VetGirl13
    Options
    Hi

I have just done a 10km race , started training a month ago for a 5150 triathlon in nov and thought a 10km race would be good training. Not exercised in 30 years and have never run 10km in my life. I focussed on goals within the race, 4 km point , then 6, then 8km and then the end. Dividing the race into mini "bites" worked for me. I am nto a good runner and it took me 80 minutes by the way. It was also great motivation to run with other people.

Good luck, 10km;s is not as far as we think it is...

Thanks and good luck for your triathlon :drinker:
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    A friend shared this stratigy with me and I love using it. I've applied it to 5k races so you may want to midify for a 10k. First off, I'm not a super fast runner and I know I'm not going to win the race (which is probably why I like this stratigy) but I run my first .75 at a comfortable pace for me just to get rid of the nerves and adrenaline, then I start picking people off. I pick a person who is in front of me and I increase my pace just a little to pass that 1 person, then I pick another one, and another. It turnes it into a game and I keep a tally of how many people I pass and before I know it, I'm at the finish line.
  • VetGirl13
    Options
    A friend shared this stratigy with me and I love using it. I've applied it to 5k races so you may want to midify for a 10k. First off, I'm not a super fast runner and I know I'm not going to win the race (which is probably why I like this stratigy) but I run my first .75 at a comfortable pace for me just to get rid of the nerves and adrenaline, then I start picking people off. I pick a person who is in front of me and I increase my pace just a little to pass that 1 person, then I pick another one, and another. It turnes it into a game and I keep a tally of how many people I pass and before I know it, I'm at the finish line.

It sounds like a lot of fun - def will keep it in mind :bigsmile:
  • icecreammanza
    Options

It sounds like a lot of fun - def will keep it in mind :bigsmile:

Great idea , I will be picking off ppl this Sunday on my next run