Cheese!!

Options
2»

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    This was one of the foods I ate way too much of. I love cheese and have finally learned to not eat as much as I did before.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think using a stronger cheese helps because I can use less of it for more flavor and less calories. I noticed when I used swiss in my tofu scramble I used less and it actually tasted much better than when i used a serving of my usual mild cheddar.

I also measure out my portions. It definately helps.

I attempt to only eat one serving of cheese a day. It doesnt' always work, but that's my goal. So I try to make it count! Sometimes you're just in such a habit putting cheese on something and then you stop and realize it tastes just as good (or better) without it! Other things, they just need cheese lol Balance is always key.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I buy pre-sliced or shredded cheese to make it easier to measure out portions. I often add spices and/or veggies to things with cheese to give them more flavor and make them more interesting. That way, SOME cheese is enough because there is more to the food than just cheese. Cheese and yogurt are major sources of protein for me. I have tried to make do without, but it just doesn't work for me.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use a microplane grater for parmesan or sovrano so less seems like more. Also I try to have a measured amount of cheese with a strong flavour as a stand-alone snack or dessert
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the cheese!

I love;
    extra mature cheddar
    gorgonzola
    goats cheese
    mozzarella
    cottage cheese
    stilton
    parmagianno
    manchego
    ricotta
    gouda
    marscepone
    wensleydale
    feta
    gruyere
    camembert
    cream cheese
    pepper jack
    smoked cheddar

Cheese I don't like;
    anything that comes out of a spray can
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I like cheese...eat it everyday...I just make it fit.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and found it helpful to go to costco and get the finlandia cheese slices. You get a variety of kinds, they're already portioned out (i.e., sliced); and one slice is 80 calories, so pretty easy to fit that into a day's calories.

My other thought about cheese is: Go for the good stuff, and go for the stuff that has LOTS of flavor. A small amount of fantastic sharp cheddar gives a lot of cheese bang for yer buck. Same with good tangy goat-cheese or good salty blue cheese or good umami-rich parmesan. If you spend the money for the intense flavors, you may find your craving is sated with less of it.

And finally, I guess, it's worth noting that a medium apple has only 70 calories. Apple slices + cheese = a great snack with fat, protein, fiber, that fills you up and tastes great.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I can't do regular whole milk and so the only way I get my dairy/calcium is through cheese. I love cheese! I mostly just have it with my eggs, spaghetti, soup, and/or a sandwich every now and then. Come to think of it, I didn't have any yesterday so I'll have to eat some today.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Cheese is one of the areas where I will not make substitutions (beyond occasionally getting the reduced-fat or part-skim versions). I love shredded Cheddar, Mexican blend, or Coljack folded into two small corn tortillas and nuked for 30 seconds- instant quesadilla. String cheese is a wonderful high-protein snack, and I will always love American in a toasty, crunchy grilled cheese. And I had Manchego with honey drizzled over top for dessert recently- incredible.

That said, a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan or Asiago-Romano-Parmesan blend (the real stuff, not canned room-temp if you can possibly do so) gives you a nice round cheesy flavor with minimal calories. Measuring amounts, via scale or measuring cup, can help keep track of portions. And remember, cheese is an excellent source of protein and calcium!
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I stopped putting it in or on things that you won't really taste it. Like spicy chili. You can't really taste the cheese so just let it be chili. I also skip things like cheese and crackers and instead just eat a couple of chunks of cheese by themselves.

This is what I basically do. I love cheese and I eat it almost everyday. I just make sure I make it fit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What are some things that you cheese addicts (I know you are out there) substitute to fill your cravings. I always go over my calories because of cheese! It has to stop!

Reduced fat cheese is much less calories. And going for stronger tasting cheeses so less is needed.
  • MrsJuli4B
    MrsJuli4B Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would have been a lot closer to my goal if I didn't eat cheese, but I wouldn't be as happy
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    It's funny. I used to absolutely love cheese and would eat a lot of it until I figured out what it was doing in relation to my moods. That, apparently, killed my cravings. I do still have it, because I enjoy the taste, but no where near as often as I used to.
  • blondieellie
    blondieellie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You could grate a little bit on top of your dishes so you still get flavour but not so much of the calories. Mature cheddar or parmesan would be good.
  • iupgirlie19
    iupgirlie19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks for all of the great advice. It is nice to know that there are others out there who just can't give up their cheese :)