My "Ah-Ha" moment while running today.

Options

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running in the rain (as long as its not freezing rain but been cought in a couple of these). But I sweat emmensly when I excercise so after my run looks like I took a shower anyways. But grats you can give yourself any excuse not to excercise. Still the hardest part is putting on my running shoes.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Congrats! your very inspiring...thanks for sharing!!!:flowerforyou:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    great job! I really like running in the rain if its not blinding-pouring rain. Although I did run in some decent freezing rain last winter...definitely tests your mental strength though
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I got choked up reading the line about not knowing what was rain, sweat and tears. What an awesome moment for you!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. I love running in the rain. I run no matter the weather unless it's dangerous. We can all make excuses but the realisation that we are is a big step
  • ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic and really moving.

I can relate: last fall, my work christmas party/excursion had our staff go to a high ropes course at a nearby adventure/environment centre. It happened to be a P.D. day, so I'd arranged to take my daughter along -- then 8 years old. I had assumed that she'd have to watch, but no, they had kids' gear and often take kids' groups on the same course.

This was all basically terrifying to me... climbing these poles and rappelling down, doing the squirrel, where you're in your rock climbing harness stuff and rope strung over a pulley way up in the trees, and everyone else pulls you waaaay up there. Totally fun, as it turns out. But the last thing of the day was this contraption of square timbers, like railway ties, chained together to make a 50 foot high hanging tower of crosses. It was hard enough just to get on the first rung, which was hanging about 3 feet off the ground; the next set were about chest-height up from there, and so on. So, you did this thing in pairs and of course my daughter wanted to do it with me, which definitely made it even more challenging because height helped a lot. So off we went, using each other to balance the thing and climb on and haul each other up.

But here's the thing: we got about halfway up, and it was really hard, and I found myself saying things like, "okay, we don't have to go all the way to the top", "wow, look how far we've come" "maybe we should let someone else have their turn". All weird bulls**t to try and get HER to be the one to say let's stop, or protect her from feeling like a failure if she wanted to stop. YUCK YUCK YUCK, NOT the parent I want to be. And it was so crystal clear that it was all me, because she just called me on it: "mum, we're GOING to the TOP." And we did; it was awesome. It was really eye-opening for me, because like you I recognized how often I stop short in my life, how often I start, and just get to the point of the appearance of success or competency, and then bail out before I can fail, or before the perseverance for follow-through and completion is required.

Anyway, I can't say I've COMPLETELY changed since then, but I'm aware and continuing to work on it!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! I got stuck in a downpour at my half-way point about two weeks ago. It was either turn around or finish, but at half-way, why not move forward? I got home soaked to the bone and ran straight for a much-deserved hot shower. It makes you feel so good to accomplish something like that! Keep it up!!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, keep up the great work!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    That's awesome - you should be so proud of yourself!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Halfway through my run today, it began to rain heavily. For a moment I considered stopping and heading home, but then realization washed over me... how many times in my life had I made an excuse to give up? (More than I'd like to admit). I turned and continued my run, crying the entire time... I was so sick of making excuses and regretting them later. I ran the entire thing in the pouring rain and by the time i got home I couldn't tell what was rain, what was sweat, and what was tears... but I finished... and shaved off a minute off my mile :).

Congratulations, you are officially a runner. :-D
    My husband still thinks I'm crazy when I run in blazing heat, blowing winds, or downpouring rain, hehe.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Halfway through my run today, it began to rain heavily. For a moment I considered stopping and heading home, but then realization washed over me... how many times in my life had I made an excuse to give up? (More than I'd like to admit). I turned and continued my run, crying the entire time... I was so sick of making excuses and regretting them later. I ran the entire thing in the pouring rain and by the time i got home I couldn't tell what was rain, what was sweat, and what was tears... but I finished... and shaved off a minute off my mile :).

I can relate. I feel like a burden has been lifted everytime I Do the INSANITY Plyometric circuit. I let myself :sad: thru it; then i feel accomplished :bigsmile: emotionally to get thru this journey..
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! :wink:
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • ASchnadelbach
    Options
    Congrats! I am a walker, my knees cannot stand the high impact of running. But I am learning the joy of pushing myself beyond the point of thi king "I just can't go any further" to "I will push myself just a little further" You are an inspiration!
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Pushing through your self-imposed limits is an amazing feeling. Congrats!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
    you go gurl!
  • jclark0523
    jclark0523 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    That's great! Since I began running in November and ran all through the winter, I have running clothes for all kinds of weather. Pants, long johns, undershirts, warm jackets, hats, gloves, waterproof jackets etc. I've ran in snow, rain, heat etc. I actually prefer running in the cold because you warm up after a while and I think it's easier than running in the heat. I'm excited though that my new place to live will have a workout room with a treadmill so if it's super hot or icy then I can run on that instead. :) I can relate to what you said about making excuses though because I do it all the time. I have been struggling with missing workouts lately and I realize that I need to get it together so that I don't undo all the progress I've made and so that I can continue on my fitness journey.
  • foodiscomplicated
    foodiscomplicated Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Way to moist hoist.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Nice--that was a great thing you did!