What to do about syrup

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Almost every saturday morning I make my kids homemade blueberry pancakes. We cover them with syrup. And sometimes we have bacon.

Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 cups white flour
    3 1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 egg (white AND yolk)
    1 3/4 cups 2% milk

mix together and spoon onto griddle in circles, butterfly shapes, heart shapes, in the shape of their initials, as caterpillars
    place frozen blueberries into batter one at a time, making funny faces, or decorating the shapes
    spoon a little more batter over the blueberries (makes it easier to flip)

slather with syrup and sit around the table with your kids, enjoying a tasty sweet treat and good family times.
    get really sticky faces and hands
    live life

in winter.... add a bit of red food coloring to the batter and make the shapes of santa hats. Use whipped cream for the brim and pom pom

I guess the point I am getting at is this.. my fitness and my shape is important to me. But meals are also meant to be enjoyed and shared and fun. If you cannot even enjoy a pancake breakfast from time to time, then what the hell is the point?
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Maple Syrup:

1 cup water (boil it)
    2 cups sugar (disolve it)
    1 teaspoon maple extract (mix it)

Done. I keep it in a Grolsch bottle in the fridge. .

Sure. .it's high calorie. . but damn. . it's soooooo good. . and at least you aren't eating all those chemicals.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Honey, mix of berries, some vanilla yoghurt and cashews mmmm

Fruit jams without added sugar are also really good and low in calories
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Sugar free works for me, on the rare occasion of pancakes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    use the syrup...it won't kill you or make you fat, unless you start drinking bottles of the stuff...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Almost every saturday morning I make my kids homemade blueberry pancakes. We cover them with syrup. And sometimes we have bacon.

Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 cups white flour
    3 1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 egg (white AND yolk)
    1 3/4 cups 2% milk

mix together and spoon onto griddle in circles, butterfly shapes, heart shapes, in the shape of their initials, as caterpillars
    place frozen blueberries into batter one at a time, making funny faces, or decorating the shapes

slather with syrup and sit around the table with your kids, enjoying a tasty sweet treat and good family times.
    live life

in winter.... add a bit of red food coloring to the batter and make the shapes of santa hats. Use whipped cream for the brim and pom pom

I guess the point I am getting at is this.. my fitness and my shape is important to me. But meals are also meant to be enjoyed and shared and fun. If you cannot even enjoy a pancake breakfast from time to time, then what the hell is the point?

oh hell no you can't have pancakes, syrup, AND bacon ...you will gain ten pounds in one sitting? For the love of god put down the pancakes!!!!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 cups white flour
    3 1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 egg (white AND yolk)
    1 3/4 cups 2% milk

live life

oh hell no you can't have pancakes, syrup, AND bacon ...you will gain ten pounds in one sitting? For the love of god put down the pancakes!!!!!

oh yes I CAN!!!

:tongue:
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's easy to avoid toppings, if you add a small amount of mini chocolate chips to your batter. ;-) Of course, I happen to be a chocolate freak!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

The only problem I have with this is in bold...what's with the sometimes crap?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Maple Syrup:

1 cup water (boil it)
    2 cups sugar (disolve it)
    1 teaspoon maple extract (mix it)

Done. I keep it in a Grolsch bottle in the fridge. .

Sure. .it's high calorie. . but damn. . it's soooooo good. . and at least you aren't eating all those chemicals.

*shiver*

That's not maple syrup!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cook up a fruit compote if you don't want to use syrup.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...I am trying so hard with this lifestyle change I don't want to screw it up....at my heaviest I was 325, I am now down about 50 lbs....but I still have a long way to go. I am trying to keep it at about 1200 a day, so I constantly have to be aware of what I am putting in my mouth.... My pancakes come out to about 70 calories a piece and I use approx. 1/8 cup of syrup for 2 pancakes....if I am correct with pure maple syrup that would be about 240 calories.... That is not as bad as I thought.....

Congratulations on the changes you've made so far! Some of these suggestions sound great, too - I'm glad for me that you asked the question. lol

My question, however, is if you've calculated your TDEE? I don't know your height, but 1200 calories daily for a 33 year old, 275 pound woman seems very low. Could be room for more syrup than you think. : )
  • booklvr81
    booklvr81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cracker Barrel has a fantastic low carb syrup with splenda.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... like a lot of the other posters, I say go for the real stuff. For YEARS we've either used cheap syrup or the sugar free stuff and this year we said NO MORE and have been switching over to 100% real maple syrup. Pricey but YUMMY. AND, the best part is that the flavor is so much better, you don't even need to use nearly as much as that fake crap! I believe a PP said this, but I either pour only a smidge on the pancake and then leave the rest in a tiny bowl (we warm ours up) and dip or just dip for things like french toast sticks. We also use REAL whip cream or even preserves and powdered sugar. I like preserves that are 100% real fruit with no added sugar or you can use fresh fruit. Dump in pan, warm, and MASH! In season fruit is naturally sweet! So... there are lots of ways to enjoy the real thing without that added mess of fake stuff. And that type of calorie is SO worth it. It took me a while to figure it out, but it is so true and I'm working on it! :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use the real stuff, just 1/8 of a cup or something. I usually just make protein pancakes though, 700 calories including syrup and I'm full for 5 hours.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Just eat real syrup. Real maple syrup is what awesome is made of.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3, 1200 calories is actually just a number I came up with....my problem is that I am sooooo afraid of failing this time....I NEVER want to be 300 lbs again....47 lbs is the most I have ever lost...I am just afraid of eating too much and not losing....
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...I am trying so hard with this lifestyle change I don't want to screw it up....at my heaviest I was 325, I am now down about 50 lbs....but I still have a long way to go. I am trying to keep it at about 1200 a day, so I constantly have to be aware of what I am putting in my mouth.... My pancakes come out to about 70 calories a piece and I use approx. 1/8 cup of syrup for 2 pancakes....if I am correct with pure maple syrup that would be about 240 calories.... That is not as bad as I thought.....

Congratulations on the changes you've made so far! Some of these suggestions sound great, too - I'm glad for me that you asked the question. lol

My question, however, is if you've calculated your TDEE? I don't know your height, but 1200 calories daily for a 33 year old, 275 pound woman seems very low. Could be room for more syrup than you think. : )

I am 5'3, 1200 calories is actually just a number I came up with....my problem is that I am sooooo afraid of failing this time....I NEVER want to be 300 lbs again....47 lbs is the most I have ever lost...I am just afraid of eating too much and not losing..

If you really want to have long-term success, then pulling a number out of the air is not going to be the most beneficial to you. It's kind of like saying, "I really want to have better financial health. I'm going to budget my money, but I'm not actually going to take the time to add up my income or my bills. I'm just going to make up numbers and hope it works out!" You may be okay for a little while, but the changes of it truly helping you reach your goals are slim to none.

Based on your gender, age, weight, and the activity level of 1-3 hours of exercise per week (in one of your posts, you said you were working out 3 times per week, so I guessed at this. It is the lowest setting besides completely sedentary, so should be a good conservative guess), your TDEE is 2647. This is what you could eat to maintain your weight, neither gaining nor losing.

At a 20% deficit from that, you could eat roughly 2117 at still lose fat. If you were not exercising, you could still eat about 1848 calories. If you are exercising more that what I guessed at, you could eat more, as indicated by the additional calories burned during your activity.

I know it's scary to add calories when you are in the mindset of "denial equals success," but your body is made to be fueled by the food that you eat. Depriving yourself does not make you your own friend. Learning what your body needs and what is required to have continued success will. Feeling deprived and hungry and "afraid" is not beneficial to you and is not a good indicator of sustainability. Developing a healthy relationship with food, having positive goals, celebrating your successes, and setting the parameters of your program within the guidelines of actual information will serve you much better.

Syrup is not your problem. Whether you choose to use it and/or other options that you think you'd enjoy, the truth is you can eat more than you are allowing yourself and not worry the way you are. I hope you find a balance that will allow you the continued progress and long-term success you are seeking.

ETA: Also, you have to make your own choices, but taking a pill isn't the answer either. If you are making the appropriate changes, then the weight will come off. You aren't going to take it forever, so learning from the beginning how to function without it would likely be a better approach. Again, this is your choice, but I don't believe I'm wrong and feel I would be remiss in not saying so. Good luck.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love pancakes drizzled with lemon juice and sprinkled with a little sugar, then rolled up (cook them thin like crepes).
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I use 1tbsp of real maple syrup and stewed mashed fruit like raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.