How much fiber?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
I've noticed that I tend to eat relatively little fiber throughout the day. To rectify this I've been looking into getting fiber supplements. However I'm not really sure how many grams of fiber I should be looking to consume every day. Is there such a thing as too much?

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    I've noticed that I tend to eat relatively little fiber throughout the day. To rectify this I've been looking into getting fiber supplements. However I'm not really sure how many grams of fiber I should be looking to consume every day. Is there such a thing as too much?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Found this

Moderation, the rule in good nutrition, applies to fiber as well. Fiber can bind minerals, such as calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc. You are unlikely to consume more than the maximum recommended 35 grams a day, if you are relying on food sources alone. However, if you are taking fiber supplements, such as unprocessed bran or commercial products, this may put you over the top and sweep these important minerals out of your digestive system.

It is hard to judge whether or not you are consuming "too much" fiber just looking at one meal, as it depends on how much fiber you are getting at breakfast and dinner as well. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that adult women and men consume up to 25 and 35 grams of fiber per day respectively. On average, Americans tend to consume around 15 grams per day. Studies indicate that proper hydration is essential in order for fiber to be beneficial. Thus, you should aim to consume at least 8 glasses of water per day. I would recommend looking at appendix B-8 of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines, "Food Sources of Dietary Fiber," which will give you the fiber content and calories for specific foods. You can access it by clicking on the following link: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/appendixB.htm
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    you should get at least the amount your food jornal tells you to get. i usualy get a bit more than it says. as far as too much i wouldnt go more than 20 over what your jornal says. but everyone has different oppinions on the matter.:flowerforyou:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I think the daily recommended amount is about 25 to 35 grams of fiber
    may
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    The amount differs with age and gender.

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/fiber.asp
  • msarro
    Options
    I get between 15-20 grams a day. I'm thinking I may get a box of fiber1 cereal or something just to fill it out some.
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Is it bad to get to much fiber??
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Is it bad to get to much fiber??

It’s possible to get too much of a good thing, though. Eating 50 or more grams of dietary fiber a day may decrease the amount of minerals your body absorbs, especially zinc, iron, magnesium and calcium. Too much fiber can increase the speed at which food moves through the digestive tract, allowing too little time for some vitamins and minerals to be absorbed, and excess fiber intake can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea, which can cause a loss of nutrients.

A word of caution before adding fiber to the diets of young children: too much fiber may fill them up too quickly. This makes it hard for them to eat enough calories for proper growth. The elderly or those who have had gastrointestinal surgery should proceed slowly when adding fiber to the diet. They are especially vulnerable to gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation and poor absorption of nutrients. If in doubt, always check with your doctor before making any major changes.

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/health/az1127.html
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was told 25g by my Doctor

USDA Food Guide (2,000 kcals) Total dietary fiber, g 31

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter2.htm
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I get between 20 and 30 g every day. Try Fiber One Honey Nut Clusters. Yummy, lots of fiber, and low-calorie.

All Bran brand also makes a nutty yogurt flavor that's pretty good.
  • msarro
    Options
    Thanks guys! I was looking at the fiber1 site and I saw they have snack bars that are about the same nutrition wise as the fruit/nut bars I take now, only they have 9 grams of fiber. That right there should put me up in the target range :)
  • songbirdjoy
    Options
    I am currently reading a book called "Fiber 35 Diet". It is really amazing to learn the health benefits of eating enough fiber. The author suggests that you eat at least 35 grams of fiber a day. If you consume that much fiber, your body will expel over 200 calories of food you have eaten and not store it as fat.
    I really recommend reading the book. I have been consciously counting my fiber grams for over a month and have seen tremendous results in how I feel and the weight loss. I usually consume closer to 40-45 grams per day and haven't found that difficult at all.
    The author has products that you can buy in certain health food stores to help add fiber to your diet, without the bloating and gas. Her products don't have the phsyllium that typically causes those side effects.
    It really is easy to get more fiber and you will want to if you read the book.
    Did you know that one medium carrot has 2 grams of fiber and a large banana has 4!
    Hope this helps.
    P.S. I don't think there is such a thing as too much fiber, but you probably couldn't get too much easily.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I have a condition called diverticulitis and my doctor recommended 35 to 40 gms a day....

I usually eat a fiber one bar w/ fruit for breakfast....or fiberone cereal and skim milk and fruit

if you ever use english muffins thomas' has a delicious one called lite multi grain..its only 100 cals for the muffin and has 8 gm of fiber....

barrilla plus pasta which tastes like real pasta not wheat has lots of fiber and omega 3 too..

those are just some tips from someone who watches her intake! lol

hugs!
    Ali
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh and btw...the chocolate bar and carmel bar are really yummy~
    lol