My trainer told me to cut down on weight training???

Options
13»

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    In order to lose, we all know you have to burn more than you eat. Try eating no more than 60gm of carbs per day, like a fitness pro couple I know told me. Put the ego aside, and only lift light weights for tone and to burn cals. until your each your goal. DO NOT EAT AFTER 6 PM.

I'm sorry, but you're a moron. I routinely eat 3 oz of pasta (84 g of carbs) along with chicken and veggies (more carbs) at around 8p-9p throughout the week, and I have never had any trouble with consistently loosing 1lb per week eating a 500 cal deficit. Overall I eat at least 164g of carbs every day.

Don't speak unless you know what you're talking about.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    In order to lose, we all know you have to burn more than you eat. Try eating no more than 60gm of carbs per day, like a fitness pro couple I know told me. Put the ego aside, and only lift light weights for tone and to burn cals. until your each your goal. DO NOT EAT AFTER 6 PM.

I'm sorry, but you're a moron. I routinely eat 3 oz of pasta (84 g of carbs) along with chicken and veggies (more carbs) at around 8p-9p throughout the week, and I have never had any trouble with consistently loosing 1lb per week eating a 500 cal deficit. Overall I eat at least 164g of carbs every day.

Don't speak unless you know what you're talking about.

no-carbs-after-6pm-fitboard.jpg
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT eating enough. Go to fitnessfrog.com and do the TDEE calculator, then cut 15-20% of the calories from that figure. That is what you should be eating, not aiming for less.

It makes sense when you think about it. Ever watch a kid savor a piece of cake? The more they eat, the smaller the bites they take.. why? Because they want it to last. That's what your body is doing with your calorie intake. The less you eat, the less it thinks it will get, so it "savors" it. You might see some results, but not nearly the results you would see if you had a good intake. When the body knows it's muscles will be fueled by continued intake, it can let go of the fat it has been storing.

I don't understand why so many women have this misconception that we must starve ourselves to lose weight.. it's crazy.

ETA: I LOVE the daily hiit! Maybe you should stick to hiitreps most days though. It sounds like that is more suited for the reults you are looking for rather than hiitmax/hiitabata/hiitcore, etc.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

This was a joke post, right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1300 calories a day, most TDEE's say I need about 2100 calories a day.... I am well below 15% of that. I have to make myself eat what I do, I am never really hungry. Should I eat more?

The trainer is actually a reputable guy in town who is known for "transforming people". I have seen his before and afters in person and they are great. He even admitted that he wouldn't tell most of his clients what he told me, he tells most of them to lift heavy weights.

I am just bummed that I am the only one I guess.

And I thought I was supposed to be intense to lose weight?

he tells everyone else to lift heavy, but tells you to ditch the weights and up the cardio ...whhhhhaaaaaatttt??????

Maybe she told him she wants to be a waifish looking model with 70lbs LBM. Who knows.

I thought all models wanted to look like a brontosaurus?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

This was a joke post, right?

one can only hope...
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but OP you are either drastically miscalculating your calorie consumption, or your expenditure.

I agree with others that you shouldn't cut your calories too severely for health reason, but eating 1200 calories a day for a month does not put you in starvation mode.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Tell your trainer you have a new goal. You want to reduce body fat % while preserving Lean Body Mass, and you don't care what the scale says. See if his advice is different.

I don't have high hopes for him since he thinks you are going to build muscle while eating at a deficit if you lift heavy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Hello all...
    I am a 27 year old female looking to get back into shape after TWO ankle breaks in one year. However, it is proving to be a lot harder getting back into shape at 27 than it was at 20. I only need to lose about 15 lbs, but dang it is hard! I am a former athlete, so I thought it would be a snap!

I eat 5-6 small meals a day, drink plenty of water, and work out 6 days a week. 4 of those days I do HIIT cardio for about 30 minutes and about 30-40 minutes of HIIT weight lifting.The other two days I do 45-60 minutes of cardio. I also take my dog for a 20-30 minute light jog most nights. I have one rest day. This has been going on for over a month. I lift as heavy as I can go, but with good form. I feel good, and I can see a difference in my jogging (overall, I took about 2 minutes off each mile in a little over a month!). However, I have not lost ANY weight. And it is not gaining muscle and losing fat either, my pants literally are not fitting. My heart rate monitor says I am at 170+ bpm for the majority of my workouts. Frustrated, my boyfriend called his personal trainer friend to our house.

Personal Trainer Friend (PTF), took one look at me and said to cut out the heavy weights, and to cut out MOST weights. He said I need to do 90% cardio. He only wants me to lift 2x a week and no more than 3 pounds for no more than 15 min each time. He said I am already really muscular and I don't need to build more muscle, I need to take out my "outer layer of fat" and lifting heavy will only make me bigger. Does that sound ridiculous? Its basically the complete opposite of everything I have ever heard about getting into shape and ways I have gotten back into shape in the past. He also told me no carbs after noon (including fruit). My diet is already pretty strict due to allergies: no gluten, so no bread, pasta, breadcrumbs, processed foods, etc., I also cannot eat dairy or sugar.

Has anyone else ever had a trainer tell them to NOT lift weights? It sounds weird, but nothing else is working? I have tried weight watchers, MFP, CrossFit, etc.
    Lol, yeah he should get his certification revoked. He's on the broscience wagon and those aren't the people who have the greatest insight on how the body really works.
    Lift weights, calories deficit, be consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    More broscience.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

No such thing as HIIT lifting, it's just cardio using light weights.
    Disagree. While cardio vascular system is more involved, you CAN lift heavy (say 85% 1RM) for a time limit (30 seconds per se). You don't count reps, you just work to do as many as you can in that time.

IDEA Fitness member
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I say you ignore that "trainer" and move on.

You can absolutely still lose fat by lifting heavy regularly, and I hardly doubt you have so much muscle that it's hindering your weight loss or making you appear bigger. Muscle of the same mass takes up far less space that fat.

The fact that you've had 2 ankle breaks in a year also screams at me, that maybe you'd benefit greatly from lifting heavy. Your bone density will increase so much and make it much less likely to have injuries like that in the future.

Eat a balanced diet, with sufficient macros (ALL macros) and maintain a small calorie deficit (since you don't have much to lose) You'll be fine :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    that trainer, like 99% of them, has no clue what he is talking about.

The trainer (me) that's in the 1% agrees your trainer friend is very misinformed.

Agreed. trainer fail.