Has anyone tried Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live diet?

Options
Has anyone tried the vegan "Eat to Live" diet? If so, how much did you lose? Is it easy to follow? Do you feel hungry?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    never heard of it ..I am on the "change for life diet" eat in a deficit + work out/lift heavy = sustained weight loss...

Looking over his site, I would say save your money and just use MFP to track calories and lose ...and it is free...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Including vegetables in your diet is, of course, a good idea. Eat vegan if you want to. Eat a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight.

The Eat to Live formula ("The key to this revolutionary diet is the idea of nutrient density expressed by the simple formula: Health= Nutrients/Calories When the ratio of nutrients to calories is high, fat melts away, and health is restored.") is a joke.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Including vegetables in your diet is, of course, a good idea. Eat vegan if you want to. Eat a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight.

The Eat to Live formula ("The key to this revolutionary diet is the idea of nutrient density expressed by the simple formula: Health= Nutrients/Calories When the ratio of nutrients to calories is high, fat melts away, and health is restored.") is a joke.

and what is this supposed ratio supposed to be? Wait let me guess, I have to pay 39.99 to find out...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    and what is this supposed ratio supposed to be? Wait let me guess, I have to pay 39.99 to find out...

I think it's just eating vegetables, but yeah he's attempting to make money, like all the other "insert name here" diets.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the vegan "Eat to Live" diet? If so, how much did you lose? Is it easy to follow? Do you feel hungry?

There's a 'Eat to Live' group here, you can easily find it by searching groups. There, you'll hear from people who eat that way.

I read his book.... which was free from the library, by the way...... :wink: and I've never sent the guy a dime.
    Personally, I wouldn't consider the Eat to Live thing, as a diet.... but as a lifestyle change. He promotes ( if I recall ) pretty much a 80 - 90% vegan lifestyle, and if you wanna eat meat as well.... you're supposed to keep it to a bare minimum. I'm pretty sure there's probably easier ways to lose weight..... the question is.... how much do you love vegetables?

vegetables.jpg
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I got the book from the library for free :)

OP, Dr. Fuhrman on his website recommends a 90% whole foods, plant based diet and then 10% is open for moderate amounts of meat and dairy etc. I'm using this as my maintenance plan and love it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Has anyone tried the "eat less move more diet"?
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Has anyone tried the "eat less move more diet"?

Dr. Fuhrman's plan is more for overall good health and not so much a diet plan for weight loss. I'm doing it for maintenance and I'm not losing weight on it. My shape is still changing though (my size 2 jeans are now loose on me :tongue: ), but I don't know if that's due to the changes in my diet following his plan, or if my body is still adjusting from when I was losing weight, which I read can happen up to a year after you transition into maintenance.
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    I'd like to try 6 weeks of this, starting Jan. 2 (daily):

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 1 cup legumes: chickpeas, black beans, lentils, kidney beans, cannellini beans, white beans, navy beans
    • 4+ fresh fruit: apples, bananas, berries, grapes, mango, melon, oranges, peaches, pears, pineapple, kiwi
    • 1 lb raw veg: Kale, chard, romaine, green pepper, frozen peas, cucumber, sprouts
    • 1 lb cooked veg: broccoli, zucchini, Brussels sprout, escarole, spinach, onion, mushroom, cauliflower,..
    • 0-2 oz avocado
    • 0-1 cup starch: butternut squash, brown/wild rice, cooked carrot, sweet potato, barley

Anyone interested in joining me?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I read the book. It was nothing I had an interest in trying. I think it's popular in our local LDS community.
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    LDS?
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I read Eat To Live and it make sense to me. When I've eaten what he recommends I've done really well.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    never heard of it ..I am on the "change for life diet" eat in a deficit + work out/lift heavy = sustained weight loss...

Looking over his site, I would say save your money and just use MFP to track calories and lose ...and it is free...

"..I am on the "change for life diet"

:laugh:
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The China Study's author unfortunately had a bad experience with Dr Furham. But it's also a must read book.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I read the book. It was nothing I had an interest in trying. I think it's popular in our local LDS community.

for the poster who asked, I think LDS stands for Latter Day Saints - ie the Mormon community.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

for the poster who asked, I think LDS stands for Latter Day Saints - ie the Mormon community.

The Latter Day Saints are Mormons. In my area I haven't seen many Mormons that Eat the way Joel Furhman endorses. They are all allowed to have their own beliefs on nutrition. But I think like the old testament warns, they stay away from pork(swine).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The China Study's author unfortunately had a bad experience with Dr Furham. But it's also a must read book.
    Tell us more.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

H=N/C. He just said it. ^ Try and keep up.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fuhrman's diet is great. I have his book "Eat To Live" and enjoy his work, though i don't eat his exact diet. The real point to a lot of his work is to include as many veggies as possible. He calls his diet a "Nutritarian Diet" because it is so loaded with vital nutrients. He insists on eating nutrient dense food, and a lot of green leafs and cruciferous veggies.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Fuhrman's diet is great. I have his book "Eat To Live" and enjoy his work, though i don't eat his exact diet. The real point to a lot of his work is to include as many veggies as possible. He calls his diet a "Nutritarian Diet" because it is so loaded with vital nutrients. He insists on eating nutrient dense food, and a lot of green leafs and cruciferous veggies.

I'm sort of a skeptic of Dr Fuhrman but this diet you just mentioned sounds like my 6 days a week diet.