Running Outside vs. Treadmill Difficulty

Options
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to running but I decided to try C25k, I really want to get in shape and having an actual planned workout makes it much easier for me. The first time I tried it I ran outside and it was awful! I was panting and had such painful cramps and stabbing pains in my side I could barely make it home, even just walking. I tried again yesterday, this time on the treadmill, and I was perfectly fine! No cramps, not as much out of breath, not feeling like death after. I think I'm going about the same pace and I have an incline on the treadmill. The road I run is pretty flat and simple, it's not like I'm running straight up hill.

Has anyone else had any problems like this? I don't understand how they could be so different, and I don't want to be stuck just running on the treadmill forever, it gets so boring; but the cramps were so painful I don't want to deal with them again. Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Replies

• kjg1965297
    Options
    Two completely different exercising. I thought I was going to die the first time I went outside to jog. I am also doing C25K. I kept going outside and it is a little better but I have repeated weeks.
  • alimay66
    alimay66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I always run with a 2% incline on the treadmill, at 9.5kph
    Outside I find I run quicker, over 10kph, but have sore thigh muscles the next day.
    Have to remember to slow down when I'm outside ;)
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason I do think running outside is harder than the treadmill with that being said I only do my runs outside unless I'm absolutely forced to do them on the treadmill due to weather or some other variable like that. I figure if I'm going to participate in any races they're all going to be outside so that's the best way to train for them. It does get easier with time and mentally I find it much more enjoyable to be outside.
  • lobstergirl
    lobstergirl Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    running on the treadmill is s different from running outside - you already have propulsion on the machine...there's far less work for your body to do...you have no air resistance and your muscles are not dealing with the minute changes in terrain - you will get fitter faster running outside - but its goo d to mix it up - i do - try to run on an incline even .0,5 t start when on a treadmill...just play around and mix up in doors and outside - you'll get the bug soon!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    running on a treadmill is just easier...the "road" is essentially moving for you and you're just keeping up with it..when you run outside, you're essentially moving the road...you get no assist like you do with a treadmill. You can definitely train with a treadmill for a running event, but you're going to have to be a bit creative with your inclines, etc. Personally I prefer just running outside...better scenery, a little sunshine, etc. I find the treadmill very boring and only use one when I'm forced inside by very inclimate weather.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I feel like they're about the same difficulty. I tend to try to run faster outside without realizing it and tired myself out faster, and I also get shin splints running on pavement.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill is, at least for me, FAR easier. The belt is motorized, so there's no "push" to keep me moving... all I have to do is keep my legs moving and keep myself upright. Running outside I actually have to force myself forward in order to move.
  • mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite.
    I find it much harder to run on the treadmill than outside.....
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Setting a gradient of 1% tends to replicate the overall difficulty of running on roads/tarmac in my opinion.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Setting a gradient of 1% tends to replicate the overall difficulty of running on roads/tarmac in my opinion.

I've read that before.

Taking it 1 step further, perhaps what seems harder to any given person is dependant as much or more on gradients than the actual method. If you run dead flat roads but at 5% incline on the treadmill, it may be easier running outside. Similarly, if you run in the hills, but on a flat treadmill, then the treadmill will be easier.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I always set my gradient on a treadmill at 2%, i trained for a 10k on nothing but a treadmill and the time was very similar, there are differences though and the first couple of K outside was difficult because i wasn't used to it but it got easier and my last 5k was much quicker than the first, using both would be ideal

treadmill i think is mentally harder but good for pacing

outside running is harder on the muscles(my legs were sore next day which wasn't the case on the treadmill)
  • hnjohnson007
    Options
    This has actually been on my mind all day today. I have been running on a treadmill because my boyfriend is just starting to exercise with me so we use the small workout room at the complex I live in. I used to run outside only. It was great! Just me, my iphone, and the sidewalk. I find it easier for me to run outside. Maybe it is the fact that I'm outside enjoying the sunshine and the fresh air, but the treadmill feels very difficult. Today I talked to my boyfriend and he thinks he's at the point in his workout where he's motivated enough to go it alone in what we call "the sweatshop" so I can go out and do a short run outside. I'm so excited to get back out in the fresh air!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to running but I decided to try C25k, I really want to get in shape and having an actual planned workout makes it much easier for me. The first time I tried it I ran outside and it was awful! I was panting and had such painful cramps and stabbing pains in my side I could barely make it home, even just walking. I tried again yesterday, this time on the treadmill, and I was perfectly fine! No cramps, not as much out of breath, not feeling like death after. I think I'm going about the same pace and I have an incline on the treadmill. The road I run is pretty flat and simple, it's not like I'm running straight up hill.

Has anyone else had any problems like this? I don't understand how they could be so different, and I don't want to be stuck just running on the treadmill forever, it gets so boring; but the cramps were so painful I don't want to deal with them again. Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!

I used to run on the treadmill all the time, it has only been during the last 20 months that I have trained consistently outside on the roads since I started running longer distances.

The treadmill is completely different I found, as a comparison, my best 5k time outdoors is 25:34 but on the treadmill is it 21:42 - massive difference. My best 10k time on the roads is 56:33, whereas on the treadmill it is 45:21!!!!

The trick when you next go training outdoors is to start running, then slow down, and THEN, slow down even more, this should now be your running pace for that training session. Continue doing this for future training sessions until one day, you will find you can pace yourself exactly how you want, because you will know if you are going too fast, too hard or just right.

You must, however, persevere and I promise it gets easier.