Belly Overhang success stories

Options

Replies

• frogslegs35
    frogslegs35 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Agree with kettle bells and also planking is fab for this area, start slow, concentrate on perfecting the plank first by doing it safely, even 20 seconds then build from there - I went from almost collapsing in a heap after 20/30 secs to being able to comfortably hold it for 2 mins each time. It honestly brilliant for the tummy.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Mcgrawhaha's... I just checked out your pictures and you look amazing. Good job!

I am also one of those people hoping the 'apron' will go away. As I'm losing weight, it's getting more aprony (I know it's not a word) and my belly feels gross. :(
  • frogslegs35
    frogslegs35 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Meant to add - for those of us with damaged skin there (mine from 3 huge babies) it won't ever go back to how it was but it does improve when you lose fat and tighten the muscles.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    As my boobs and hips have gotten smaller my belly appears to hang out more :( I can only hope that as I continue to lose weight my belly will seem smaller too!
  • nicolebeck89
    nicolebeck89 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't have a photo of my belly at it's biggest, but trust me, I'm 5'1.5 and was 250 lbs, I was a BIG girl lol.

Stats:
    SW: 250
    CW: 118
    GW: 115 - 110

I'm not really focused on the scale right now, more focused on toning it all up. I believe the weight coming off is just half the battle. I've lost the weight and still had a hang over tummy, I've also had 2 C sections so that muscle has been cut and to get it to go away is taking a lot of time. It's still not 100% gone but it's going down a lot and for that I'm happy. 30 day shred helped a little with it, Insanity has helped and Focus T25 has gotten me to where I'm at now.

2r3dt3p.jpg

Anytime I see your story I am amazed!!! Awesome job!! You really did it right!!! Your the most inspiring person ( to me) I have found on my fitness pal so far!!
  • FindMyInnerAthlete
    FindMyInnerAthlete Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You all look amazing!
  • irishjune
    irishjune Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well, it is important to remember that every BODY is different, and when it comes to what happens to your belly, a lot of it is genetics and completely out of your hands. And of course you cannot target weight loss to your belly.

So, that's the bad news.

The good news is that there are some things you can do to help, and everyone's results will differ. Working your ab muscles (kettlebells do rock for this) will help you fill out your excess skin with the new muscles, and once the fat is gone give you something nice and strong there underneath. It won't necessarily get rid of the skin though. That's partially genetics (the elasticity of your skin) and how hydrated you stay the whole time while you are losing weight. Stay very, very hydrated. Keeping your skin hydrated will help that elasticity as you shrink. Some people report positive results with keeping your skin moisturized too, particularly in the dry winter months, but I'm not sure how much medical backing there is to support it. That's just regular lotion, or lotion with vitamin E, nothing fancy. None of those silly "lose cellulite with this miracle lotion!" products.

I have a friend who had bariatric surgery and hydration and moisturization were strongly encouraged the whole time. Keeping the skin healthy is the best thing you can do. Another friend of mine had 3 kids and swears by lotion with vitamin E. (She convinced me to try jergins vitamin E and I like it.) So take that for what it's worth.

And then cross your fingers and hope you have awesome genes.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't have a photo of my belly at it's biggest, but trust me, I'm 5'1.5 and was 250 lbs, I was a BIG girl lol.

Stats:

I'm not really focused on the scale right now, more focused on toning it all up. I believe the weight coming off is just half the battle. I've lost the weight and still had a hang over tummy, I've also had 2 C sections so that muscle has been cut and to get it to go away is taking a lot of time. It's still not 100% gone but it's going down a lot and for that I'm happy. 30 day shred helped a little with it, Insanity has helped and Focus T25 has gotten me to where I'm at now.

2r3dt3p.jpg

Anytime I see your story I am amazed!!! Awesome job!! You really did it right!!! Your the most inspiring person ( to me) I have found on my fitness pal so far!!

Aww, thank's that means a lot, I've seen some pretty incredible stories on here, so that's a pretty awesome compliment.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for someone to post success pictures for this too as it's also my trouble area. My mother told me I'll probably never get rid of it, but I'm determined to have a bikini body :-).

I have seen so many success stories over the last year that say this is simply not true! You can do this! I remember after I had my second son the Doctor told me that my abs would never be the same. I am working to prove him wrong! It just takes hard work and dedication. If you want it bad enough, it will happen!

I wish I had a picture of my sister (she happens to be 53 years old) and she has a washboard stomach~ two c-sections after the fact! She eats healthy food, lifts and runs occasionally. There was no secret formula, it just took some time, patience and the will to succeed!

I'm a work in progress but I am confident that if I put forth the effort, it will happen! Best wishes to you! I can't wait till you are able to post your success photo!
  • LYNN8SUPERSTARZS
    LYNN8SUPERSTARZS Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i LOST OVER 100 POUNDS, IT SHRINKS OVER TIME IF YOU LOSE THE WEIGHT SLOW:wink:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for someone to post success pictures for this too as it's also my trouble area. My mother told me I'll probably never get rid of it, but I'm determined to have a bikini body :-).
    Funny you say that about your mom, because mine says we (my family) are built that way so we carry it there. Talk about discouraging!
    :ohwell:

Your mom's are wrong, I always used the excuse that I was big boned or that this is just how I was built. I'm actually small boned and I'm smaller now then I was in high school.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    i LOST OVER 100 POUNDS, IT SHRINKS OVER TIME IF YOU LOSE THE WEIGHT SLOW:wink:

This has been my experience as well. I've lost 32 lbs in 8 months - so, about a pound a week. I had a major overhanging belly and though I still have 24 lbs to go to my goal weight, the belly has just slowly shrunken along with the rest of me and there's no overhang at all.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    <
    My profile has pics...
    I had 2 c-sections, one emergency and 3 Vbac's. 5 pregnancies all together... and I lift heavy. :)
  • LYNN8SUPERSTARZS
    LYNN8SUPERSTARZS Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There are several photos on instagram, very inspiring.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Stats:

2r3dt3p.jpg

agreed!!!
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've always been chubby, no kids. But what's helping me is running, though I'm starting to lift weights and I hear that is great for women, we tend to be afraid of heavy lifting. I'm giving it a try. Also, there's no way to target this area so overall fat loss is needed. It's my goal to flatten my tummy so I hope to post pictures one day!
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    <
    My profile has pics...
    I had 2 c-sections, one emergency and 3 Vbac's. 5 pregnancies all together... and I lift heavy. :)

Wow, Nice job!!! Congratulations!
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!