?? Regarding MFP calories burned vs HRM

Options
Hi all! My backstory: I have really just started working out. I began walking at a moderate pace last week (normally for 15-30 mins) and started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred on Saturday. Since I started walking I downloaded an app Pedometer by Runtastic (that syncs automatically with MFP) Today I started the C25K program. My HRM had me burning a total of 316 cals vs 111 cals that MFP calculated using the information from the Pedometer app.

My stats: 28 yrs old, 149 lbs, 5'4", my HRM had my average bpm at 153 and my maximum at 186 bpm.

My question: Which is more likely to be accurate? I am not planning on eating back all of my calories, but I would like to know which is more likely to be accurate so that I can accurately track my improvements.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's are a couple of formulae to sanity check both......

Running (net calories expended) .63 x body weight in lbs x distance in miles

Walking .30 x body weight in lbs x distance in miles

(Source: Runners World)
  • Ayne6246
    Ayne6246 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My HRM reads very close to the calorie burn stated on the web for doing the Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies 2 workout. I found that MFP was calculating (even at calling it high impact aerobics whhich it definitely is not) at about half that. I was losing about 1.5# a week when I was faithfully doing it 4-6 times a week. Haven't been doing it this summer because I was doing a lot of gardening & swimming for exercise so my weight loss has stalled but now that summer is over, I will be getting back to doing the STTO2 again.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    HRM should be more accurate