Biggest mistake I made at the gym today...

2»

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    I looked up in the locker room :huh: :noway: :sick:
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,260 Member
    I always see the guys on the floor lifting staring at themselves.. I'll be going again tonight, so I can only hope to hear something hilarious.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Yeah I think I would fall over laughing and probably end up hurting myself in the process lol that is ridiculous, I wish I would see something like that happen at my gym!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Ew. Before it was funny but that ^^ added an extra level of creepy to it.

Exactly!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    hahaha... that is so funny,,,
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Wow...just wow :noway:
  • my gym is the opposite
    sounds like a library in the mornings
    for this reason i dont wear headphones
    so i can make sure i am not being too loud
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    ... I like to think that everyone does their own thing, but some things should not be done. This is one of them.
  • I sometimes grunt, and make other noises when I lift... Nothing like that though... :D Thank god I have a home gym.. 0_0
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Did he look like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKayxbSLdzs

...and was there another guy with a video camera pointed at him?
  • jofjltncb6
    This story made me feel all kinds of awkward.

Reason #72 why I am so happy to be a member of an all girl gym.

Girls don't say things like this when they lift? Really?

:disappointedface:
  • jofjltncb6
    I don't understand these people who make sexy noises when they lift, because I usually sound frightened and cry during my workouts.

Odd.

I usually sound frightened and cry during sex.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Sorry, I'll stop.

BUT I COMMAND THEM TO GROW!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    I don't understand these people who make sexy noises when they lift, because I usually sound frightened and cry during my workouts.

Odd.

For some reason I'm not surprised by this.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I forgot my headphones. Usually, not a big deal, they have TVs and music and whatever. Then, there was THAT GUY. THAT GUY who does the free weights, and does bicep curls. That isn't a thing at all, but, THAT GUY wasn't exactly versed in gym etiquette. I'm ok with grunting. I do it myself sometimes. However, THAT GUY, who had his headphones in, every time he did a curl, it was: "OH. YEAH. B***H. TAKE. IT. AND. LIKE. IT." At top volume. Over and over. Everyone was staring at him. Awk-ward.

Please, don't be THAT GUY.
    Whaaat.jpg

:noway: :laugh:
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    I always see the guys on the floor lifting staring at themselves.. I'll be going again tonight, so I can only hope to hear something hilarious.

If your gym has a free weight area with a large mirror in front of it, it's not there so people can vainly stare at themselves, it's there for a few practical purposes.

1. It allows people to make sure their form is correct, this isn't something that can be done through intuition and requires a visual marker, thus, the mirror.
    2. It typically allows everyone to work out in the same direction, which, while sounding bizarre, is important as it minimizes accidents and prevents people from running into each other or messing up someone else' workout, it's there so everyone can see what's going on around them when people are lifting 80 pound weights, a pretty precarious situation.
    3. Most exercises benefit from you having your head straight and facing forward, the mirror allows you do to this easily as all you have to do is to make eye contact with yourself head-on. This is especially useful for deadlifts and squats, because keeping your head up can help keep your back straight.
    4. Some people. especially bodybuilders, have a practical and legitimate reason to look at their musculature in the mirror.

As for the rest of this topic.
    People do dumb things in the gym, but grunting isn't one of them, oftentimes the higher the weight you're lifting, the more focus and effort it takes, people tend to make noise when they're doing physically strenuous things, you might not feel that sort of urge to grunt when you're doing squats with nothing but the bar and ten pound plates, but as soon as I'm stepping under that bar and doing my regular set, trying to ignore the urge to grunt and make noise when I'm on my fourth rep of 370 is almost impossible. It happens, it allows your body to expel air as well when your first instinct is to hold your breath against the strain, so it also has a practical purpose.

Also, as long as people aren't being too loud, getting pumped and excited in the gym isn't a bad thing, people will say things to themselves to pressure themselves to go on if they're working hard. If they're barely doing anything and saying stupid **** to themselves, feel free to ridicule them, but people who are deadlifting hundreds of pounds probably need that hype to get themselves pumped for a heavy lift. Those things are just a part of coaching yourself and others, there's nothing wrong with that, in fact, if you go around your workout being perfectly quiet and judging people who are getting excited about their workout, I think you're fairly pathetic since it seems like a total buzzkill thing to be judgemental about.

There are people, like me, that genuinely enjoy and love the gym, and if you want some quiet, library style workout with everyone lifting like their grandmother just died, go to Planet Fitness.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member

Odd.

For some reason I'm not surprised by this.
    weird reply is weird.
  • 2B230
    2B230 Posts: 24
    Did he lisp when he said that?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    That's awesome. I'd record it, put it online and try to make money off of it.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    I forgot my headphones. Usually, not a big deal, they have TVs and music and whatever. Then, there was THAT GUY. THAT GUY who does the free weights, and does bicep curls. That isn't a thing at all, but, THAT GUY wasn't exactly versed in gym etiquette. I'm ok with grunting. I do it myself sometimes. However, THAT GUY, who had his headphones in, every time he did a curl, it was: "OH. YEAH. B***H. TAKE. IT. AND. LIKE. IT." At top volume. Over and over. Everyone was staring at him. Awk-ward.

Please, don't be THAT GUY.

i would have loved to see a girl tap him on the shoulder and say "no, i wont take it aint worth my time" and just walkbway!