And that's why I don't step on the scale!!!!

Options
Ok I just got home from the gym and feel highly and extremely discouraged. I am reaching out to my MFP friends for a little insight, advice, encouragement etc. I have been religiously tracking my calories for almost three weeks now. I am at 1600 a day and I work out 3x's a day. My lunchtime workout is not intense, it usually lasts 15-20 mins. its more like a circuit training. Anyhow I look thinner because i see myself naked daily YET I have not lost not one Freaking pound!!!!!!!!! WTF! I have my diary open for some insight. If I eat any less I'll be starving! And I don't want to eat anymore I feel fine at 1600. However I DO lift weights 3-4x's a week. What is going on here?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Thanks guys :(:(

Replies

• jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OMG I don't blame you for feeling this way! I intensely dislike those scales but use them anyway so I can be accountable. Have you been doing your measurements? If you see yourself looking thinner though, THIS IS GOOD - it means whatever you're doing is working! Whatever you do, don't throw your arms up in the air and think oh what's the point! I might as well eat the whole cheesecake right now! I cannot give you the answers to your questions though so will leave to the expert opinion of the others in here who are more in the know.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    dig out the tape measure...I lost more inches then weight and continue to do so

10.5lbs and 13 inches...
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    First, I would say that how you feel about the way you look is more important than what the scale says. Many people have a hard time seeing a thinner person in the mirror, so the fact that you can is fantastic!

Keep in mind that weight fluctuates a lot throughout the day due to water retention, food being digested, etc. If I stepped on my scale right now, it would probably say I weigh at least two pounds more than what it said this morning. What time of the day did you weigh yourself last (and how many days ago), and what time of the day did you weigh yourself today? If you got your starting weight in the morning, I would say wait until tomorrow morning and weigh yourself again to see if there is any difference.

If you want another way to quantify the changes to your body, definitely take measurements as well! Measurements can often show you the progress that the scale is masking.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I agree the tape measure is a better guide :smile:
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale, so I don't really have this problem, but I know what you're talking about.

I should at least step on a scale somewhere so I can find out where I truly am.

My clothes don't fit as well (in a good way), but my old clothes sure do fit a lot better, and that's all that matters to me.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    No worries sugar--you may have hit a plateau. Look at your diet and see if you can lower some of your carbs and replace them with a little protein. My trainer puts us on a VERY strict Adkins for 10 days every 3 months so we don't plateau and to keep your bodies stirred up so to speak. just cull your menu's alittle and see if you have any holes to plug.
  • msjackie30
    msjackie30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL! I appreciate your kind encouraging words. I have not tape measured myself but I am sure there is some inch loss there. I will do that and go from there. I will also see where I can tweak my diet, I am not giving up! I just need encouragement and I am glad I found this forum.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The short answer is, if you are not losing weight you are simply not in a calorie deficit.

I know you said you log your food but are you absolutely sure that it is accurate? Also 3 weeks is not much time to see a big difference so if you do have everything correct give it some time.

People are going to tell you that you are probably gaining muscle, you're not. Or that you need to eat more, you don't. Or maybe that you are one of the very few that have a thyroid problem, chances are you don't. Either you are not eating as little as you think or if you are logging your exercise you are not burning as much as you think. One or the other.

Something else. I noticed you said you work out 3 times a day? Is that correct? It's not going to cause you not to lose weight but it just seems like overkill.

Good luck!
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    No worries sugar--you may have hit a plateau. Look at your diet and see if you can lower some of your carbs and replace them with a little protein. My trainer puts us on a VERY strict Adkins for 10 days every 3 months so we don't plateau and to keep your bodies stirred up so to speak. just cull your menu's alittle and see if you have any holes to plug.

Pretty sure she hasn't hit a plateau in 3 weeks....
  • cbeggs810
    cbeggs810 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1600 calories you are maintaining your weight. Raise your protein and lower your carbs lower your calorie level
  • Not losing weight, but body composition is changing? Sounds like muscle gain to me!

Muscles respond to stress, so when someone who was not fit to begin with starts working out, even at a calorie deficit, guess what? Muscle gain! Not body-builder muscle gain, but the muscles DO become stronger, which just doesn't happen unless you're building muscle.
  • 1600 calories you are maintaining your weight. Raise your protein and lower your carbs lower your calorie level

Can't say that for sure without stats. I lose at 1700.

I may go a week or two without losing, then BAM! Two pounds gone in four days.
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    hey there i can understand your frustration but I agree with other users, dig out a tape measure and see what inches you have lost! also if you are lifting and exercising you are going to build up muscle which weighs more than fat! so you are going to look thinner, healthier and more toned but not necessarily "lose weight" according to the scales.

If you havent lost anything, but havent gained either I would think you should slightly lower your calorie intake to create a deficit. These things take time though, dont get discouraged the results will come eventually!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight, but body composition is changing? Sounds like muscle gain to me!

Muscles respond to stress, so when someone who was not fit to begin with starts working out, even at a calorie deficit, guess what? Muscle gain! Not body-builder muscle gain, but the muscles DO become stronger, which just doesn't happen unless you're building muscle.
    EEEEER No
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I agree that

#1 The scale isn't the only way to measure, you should go more by how you look (you said your looking better) and measuring tape.

#2 Three weeks isn't very long. I wouldn't even call it a plateau yet. I forgot to look at where you are, but the closer you are to your goal the harder it can be to get those last few pounds to shift. So be patient.

#3 If you're not losing weight, chances are you aren't eating at a deficit. But I'll add to this one: I know how you feel - I'm at 1600 calories a day too (and do TDEE method so I don't get to eat back exercise calories) and I can't imagine eating less most of the time. But, if you are close to your scale goal, maybe you should ignore that goal and focus on your gains in other areas. Like #1. Also, making gains in lifting (I went from bench pressing ~60 to 90 and from deadlifting ~60 to 155 in two months, but haven't lost any weight). If you are eating at maintenance, you can work on body recomposition; you maintain your weight but look better in the scale in the long run.

Make sure you aren't burning yourself out by overexercising (3 times a day sounds a bit excessive; maybe just once plus your lunchtime walk would be better). If you feel tired, worn out, or constantly hungry, it's a good sign to dial things back. Remember the goal is to look better and have better overall health. No one will know your weight unless you tell them.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Raise your protein and fat, lower your carbs and calories. Hit macros with nutrient dense foods. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I did a couple of triathlons last summer. While one is participating they have two numbers written in marker on their body. Their participant number and their age. This can be very encouraging (or discouraging) as we pass or are passed. In the real world we do not walk around with our weight marked on our forehead. That number is not as important as we sometimes give it credit.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    1600 calories you are maintaining your weight. Raise your protein and lower your carbs lower your calorie level

The first part of this is ok advice... maybe.

Lowering you cals is a BAD idea. If you are working out three times a day (which is probably overkill anyway) then eating less than 1600 cals is likely to lead to burnout or a binge!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight, but body composition is changing? Sounds like muscle gain to me!

It takes quite a few month of very heavy and intense lifting for women to develop a few pounds of muscle. For women it is much more difficult than men and for those it isn't easy either, especially if done the healthy way. There is no way that a woman can develop several pounds of muscle in three weeks.....not even taking steroids.
  • jeffpettis
    Options

Sorry but not quite. Someone can and will get stronger without muscle hypertrophy occurring. A muscle doesn't have to grow to get stronger. Most strength gains for a couple of months in untrained individuals comes from the muscle tissue becoming more efficient and the nervous system "learning" to be more efficient at lifting weights.

Also with the very best diet and exercise routine a woman is only going to gain at best a quarter to maybe a half pound a week of muscle. And that would be in a calorie surplus...