New to the gym, looking for advice

Options
I'm currently 388lbs. Started dieting last week. Lost 4lbs this past week. I work as a bill collector, so a majority of my day is spent sitting at my cubical. I went to the gym 3x last week. While there I'd start by benching 50# 10 times. Then I'd walk on the treadmill. I could only walk a max of 1/4-1/2 mile before my ankle/knees hurt to much to cont. I tried the elliptical but after 1/10th of a mile my knees hurt so bad I had to stop. Before I'd leave I'd bench 50# 10 more times. Am I doing this right? Should I just walk as much as I can and keep lifting? Any better suggestions? I MUST lose this weight and am willing to do anything to do it. Thank you.

Replies

• tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good for you for starting at the gym! If the exercise is bothering your knees perhaps trying some cardio that will put less pressure - swimming or the recumbent bike might be options that would allow you to go for longer with less pain. Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're doing something, so it's a start, at least. You're going to want to find or develop a consistent routine so that you're not flailing around, doing this machine or lift one time, then some other thing some other time, then maybe a little bit of this or that. If you're going to use free weights, Stronglifts is a decent beginner program that's simple to learn while you're starting out. If you're using machines, make sure you're doing something for all the major muscle groups: chest, back, legs, shoulders and arms should all get work.

Do as much cardio as you can tolerate and each week you'll probably see improvement in your endurance as your body gets used to the idea of working out. If the treadmill hurts your knees, I suggest using the recumbent bike for a while and then working up to treadmills or ellipticals or whatever.

Important note: Being sedentary and near 400 pounds, I can't stress enough that you should consult with a physician before starting any vigorous exercise program. Probably a good idea to tell them about your knee pain too.
  • lulz14
    lulz14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Given how much pain you're in I'd agree with seeing a doctor!

You're probably better off using machines with less impact, ideally exercise or recumbent bike as you do can cardio without jarring caused by running/walking on non-seated machines.

For weights, until you get confident, I'd recommend doing two or three different leg exercises, and two or three different upper body exercised, do 3 sets of 8 rep at a weight where you struggle to do the eight rep of each set