Dealing with pressure.

Options
Any tips on how to deal with other people and the pressure to eat what they eat? I was on a weight loss program before and I really stuck to it, I lost 20lbs. Now I'm finding myself slipping up more and more because people just don't understand that I don't want to eat unhealthy food.

What do you do when you go out to restaurants or are at a party with lots of delicious (bad) food?

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I either eat beforehand so I don't eat so much when I'm out or I'll choose the least unhealthiest on the menu, but I won't eat it all. I would eat a small portion of it and drink lots and lots of water.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I typically try to review the nutritional menu prior to going (online) whenever possible, or as soon as I get there I ask if they have a nutritional menu. If not, check out their salads/soups/appetizers (Smaller portions!) and always ask for any sauces on the side so you have control. In regards to "pressure from others", I am just asking do you just feel pressured because they don't eat healthy or are they out loud pressuring you to order what they order or remarking on your food choices? I sometimes think the pressure is really what we do to ourselves. My friends respect my efforts and support me. And the one time I had someone say "why don't you..... or aren't you going to drink?" I would say "I am not pushing my healthy choices on you so would appreciate it if you don't push your unhealthy choices on me:" Bottom line, you are in control of what you order and what you put in your mouth. Go through the door knowing what you are going to order and if their portions are huge, order a takeout box when you place your order and put 1/2 in before you even start eating.
  • aehenson
    aehenson Posts: 86
    Options
    I stalk the menu before I go out & pick my meal before.... As for parties, let others go ahead of you - my tip is to take a look at their back ends & ask yourself "do i want to keep looking like them or do i want to be different?" This has worked for me at work parties (at least one a month) since Feb 2008.
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    I have found simply putting my foot down to be very effective. I think that if people see you doing anything healthy it makes them feel bad because they know deep down that they could do it too. It makes them examine themselves just a little too much and they would rather try and get you to fall off the wagon than get on the wagon with you. Stay strong and if necessary toot your own horn. "Oh I would love to have that cheeseburger, but I've dropped 25lbs and I'm trying to continue." Anybody who would still push food on you after that is not a true friend.

ETA: www.dwlz.com is a good website that has a lot of calorie information fir major restaurants. When I can't find something on MFP, I can usually find it there.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I normally just eat it, or I would feel all left and and rubish. I will then try to be extra good the rest of the week and do an extra workout or something.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If I am going out to lunch or dinner I plan the rest of my meals that day to be less calories than usual. I also try to get in a good calorie-burning workout for that day. This works great on the weekends, maybe not so easy during the week. If you think about it ahead of time and check the restaurant menu, you can probably make decent choices. Baked not fried food, vegetables for the side dishes, iced tea or water to drink, etc.
    Last night we were invited to friends' house for dinner. I enjoyed what they did, just had reasonable portions (no seconds) and saved my calories up earlier in the day. I also got in a good bike ride and my basic strength/toning routine before we went out.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Any tips on how to deal with other people and the pressure to eat what they eat? I was on a weight loss program before and I really stuck to it, I lost 20lbs. Now I'm finding myself slipping up more and more because people just don't understand that I don't want to eat unhealthy food.

What do you do when you go out to restaurants or are at a party with lots of delicious (bad) food?

All foods and drink are fine - in moderation.

Humans on average though, do not do things in moderation, hence why thousands are trying to lose weight everyday. I adored sweets, cakes and chocolates before I started on my plan, I would replace meals with those things regularly, it was a wonder I was able to function at all, my dietary habits were appalling!

Regarding being at parties etc, I go for lots of protein stuff, that way it fills me up and I do not crave the carbs or sweets. The other day we went to a wedding reception, I did have a slither of wedding cake, but it was tiny, I have also had a piece of gateau, but again it was very small, at a BBQ.

For me it is definitely stocking up on the protein.

Do not bow down to those people that pressure you, they should not do that if they are real friends. Real friends would understand what you are doing and not go on at you. Tell them that thank you very much but you prefer to eat healthy and leave it at that, if they don't like it, tough. You owe them nothing - just don't fall into the trap that when they are eating what they want, you start going on about how bad it is for them :wink: