Liverpool Fashion week banning models from sunbed use

Options

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Glad I have a natural tan. Exposing your body like that is scary.
  • Kirstyw871
    Kirstyw871 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    They should stop dictating on what people chose to do with their bodies.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Tanning bed and sun are the exact same exposure. Your natural tan is no different from a tanning bed tan. Lot of uninformed alarmism in that article.
  • vtmoon
    Options
    Tanning bed and sun are the exact same exposure. Your natural tan is no different from a tanning bed tan. Lot of uninformed alarmism in that article.

I guess I should've added my "/sarcasm" at the end.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

depends what you mean by natural tan.... because some people are born with brown skin
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    seems like this is a problem with poorly regulated salons, not with sunbeds themselves....

personally I like my pasty-white skin and have no intention of ever using a sunbed. I'd probably just turn red under it anyway, or get more freckles. But I don't think it's fair to penalise people who are using them intelligently as an informed choice just because salons can't be bothered to ask for age ID or whatever.... if it was pubs selling alcohol to under 18s then the landlords would be in big trouble, and no-one would be asking adults to vow never to drink alcohol because of it
  • vtmoon
    Options

depends what you mean by natural tan.... because some people are born with brown skin

*ding ding*

I was being sarcastic about the natural tan, but not about the amount of tanning bed exposure being scary.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Irony?

Liverpool ladies love a bit of GLAM, bling, big hair, dye brows, no knickers and a good sun bed
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Nobody's dictating what they do with their bodies. It's their event, their rules. Nobody's making the models go ..
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    seems like this is a problem with poorly regulated salons, not with sunbeds themselves....

That's it.

A lot of the cash-based unstaffed automated places have 13-14 year old girls baking themselves in there for half an hour at a time. :huh:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Considering the problems the UK has in dealing with the consequences of sunbed abuse by under age kids, I think it's fair that some awareness is raised about this.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/news/archive/pressrelease/2013-01-31-desire-for-tan-making-teenage-girls-ignore-sunbed-dangers

http://www.bmj.com/content/340/bmj.c877

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9835398/Girls-flouting-sunbed-laws-to-look-like-celebrities.html