What can I do at home?

Options
Hey everyone!

Just wondering what I can do at home? I have a 3 year old and no babysitter so need to keep it at home!
I have workout DVDs but they get a bit boring :/
I am planning on using the outdoor gym at the local park, it is not brilliant but it's something!
I also walk a lot already.

I'm just wondering if you have any idea what I can so at home? As I am really lacking something to help tone myself up!

Thanks!

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Have you tried various other workout dvds to see if any appeal to you more? If you have a local library, they often have exercise dvds that you can try out prior to purchasing something. Bodyweight exercises are something that can be done at home with virtually no equipment.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. But I walk or run every morning and right now i'm doing JIllian Michaels 30DS and after that will change to another dvd. The good think about 30ds is there's different levels so you change it up every couple of days.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Have a look at a book/App/website called You Are Your Own Gym. Loads of variations on how to keep progressing strength and fitness without any equipment apart from what is around your house and your own bodyweight.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    YouTube ZWOW and Bodyrock. Both have great workouts, usually short, but difficult and effective.
  • mrsslls
    mrsslls Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lots of things - skip rope is one if the best cardio activities, get one of those big ball things for core exercises, invest in some hand weights or find something heavy around the house like canned food, or you could try those restitance bands, run up and down stairs( if you have them), step up's can be done anywhere, all floor exercises (sit ups, planks, push-ups etc).
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Just wondering what I can do at home? I have a 3 year old and no babysitter so need to keep it at home!
    I have workout DVDs but they get a bit boring :/
    I am planning on using the outdoor gym at the local park, it is not brilliant but it's something!
    I also walk a lot already.

I'm just wondering if you have any idea what I can so at home? As I am really lacking something to help tone myself up!

Thanks!

Which workout dvd do you have?? Beachbody has a lot of different program with different approach to fit everyone taste. Have you tried some of them?
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You don't need to buy workout DVDs. There are so many on youtube you could do a different one every day I have used Fitness Blender and Jillian Michaels. Scooby has a lot of home ideas for strength.

It could be fun if you could team up with another young mother, maybe meet at each other's houses?
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have competitions with yourself. Create a list of exercises you can do at home and try to improve your abilities every week. Keep a list tracking your improvement. It will fuel your motivation if habits have not yet been formed.

There are also TONS of exercise videos on YouTube. Even videos of Wii Dance games if you enjoy dancing and you don't have a console. When I get stuck and don't know what to do, I make a schedule with something different each day and just do it. Sometimes it's figuring it out every day that gets us stuck, but if we just dedicate some planning time, then it may become easier for you to know what to each day.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    wall sits, planks, squats, get a medicine ball at walmart or a kettlebell, do pile squats with them, go run, go walk, do intervals, push ups, side planks, side abductions, clams. There are so many great things you can do at home! get a jump rope from walmart. Do intervals of everything, do it tabata style!!!

Get that heart rate up and work it!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    There are also TONS of exercise videos on YouTube. Even videos of Wii Dance games if you enjoy dancing and you don't have a console.

Exactly!
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I do eVerything:

Started off with exercise dvds, I know I also get so bored, have never made it past Jillians 30dshred level 2, but I have a lot! So its taebo, or yoga, or jillian, or hiit workouts, or zumba or whatever I feel like.

I actually scored my boyfriends weights, so cardio is falling to the side now and instead I do 4 days strength training per week. Been really committed to it for the last month and I am enjoying it so much!

Hope you find something that you really enjoy :smile:
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You don't need to buy workout DVDs. There are so many on youtube you could do a different one every day

This!!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a reebok step some hand weights, 1, 2 and 3kg, a swiss ball and an exercise mat. With google I have some varied routines to keep exercise interesting
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Check out this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345528581/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can't vouch for it myself, but have seen strong recommendations...
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Check out this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345528581/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can't vouch for it myself, but have seen strong recommendations...

No. You don't need to buy anything. There is so much free stuff on the interwebs by way of workouts and info.
  • butterflykoffee
    butterflykoffee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just found this blog here on MFP and it is about working out at your local park......the exercises look interesting. It is called The 30-Minute Bodyweight Workout: Playground Edition - See more at: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2013/10/08/the-30-minute-bodyweight-workout-playground-edition/#sthash.2T7PAJFC.dpuf Your three year old can play while you work out :)
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I decided to start exercising, the gym was NOT an option (no daycare at local facilities). I had a 4 month old, a 1 year old, and a 2 year old. I started off with Zumba on the Wii, DVD's, and YouTube vids. I also dusted off some old hand weights. The older ones loved to join in (just had to make sure I didn't kick them in the head). Or I would set them up for lunch and drag their high chairs into the foyer where I could see them and they were safely out of my way :laugh:

I just tried a little bit of everything I could find until I found what suits me (minimum time frame with a good workout). Just don't give up and keep trying until you find what fits you and your schedule!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    YouTube ZWOW and Bodyrock. Both have great workouts, usually short, but difficult and effective.

this

It is what I do

oh yes and c25k
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight movements, use your own body as your gym.

Vary your movements with a tabata timer on your phone and you can have a different workout every day. =)
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options

These are great. I also like fitnessblender and xhitdaily.