Tis the season to start making Christmas cake

Options
I'm about to make mine. One of my friends has already made hers. But I didn't know, you don't have Christmas cake over the water do you? Is it just us Brits who make Christmas cake?

Here's mine from last year:
DSC_0035_zps3101355b.gif

You start making it about now, because you have to soak the fruit in brandy, then store the cake for a few weeks, drizzling a bit more brandy over it before you stick marzipan over it and ice it (preferably with Royal icing!)

(ed: Boy the resizing on photobucket is a bit hit and miss! Did it on my laptop instead!)

Replies

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Seiously, I'm interestd to know whether any of our transatlantic or antipodean cousins have Christmas cake? or anything like it?
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It KIND of sounds like what we call fruitcake over here in the US. Sort of. Fruitcake usually doesn't have any type of frosting. And it's pretty disgusting. Although, I don't believe alcohol is involved in most fruitcake. We also do Rum cake, but that usually doesn't involve any fruit. So I guess take rum cake and fruitcake and put them together and that sounds like what you've got.

In conclusion, no we don't have Christmas Cake...at least not in Texas. ;)
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    We don't have christmas cake in Quebec, we do have cookies though... and eggnog?
  • Kirstyw871
    Kirstyw871 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Wow, that looks great.

I love christmas cake & pudding!!
  • ashleyinthecold
    Options
    Mm... Cookies and Eggnog!
  • stephanieross1
    Options
    yes, its delicious! I feel bad because just myself I think I go through 4 cartoons AT LEAST during christmas season..
  • Kirstyw871
    Options
    I've never really had eggnog.

I did once try an eggnog latte from starbucks though, totally not my thing.
  • stephanieross1
    Options
    Completely different. It's like a thick milky vanilla is heaven.
  • ashleyinthecold
    Options
    See I love it but, I can only drink about 1 serving every holiday season and then I'm done. It's all the dang snacky food I can't stay away from.... sausage balls (breakfast sausage, cheddar cheese and bisquick), come to mind.
  • Kirstyw871
    Options
    I'm gonna have to give it a try someday!
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    We do fruit cake (****ING DISGUSTING) And pie here...

Sadly, I can't have any wahhh
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    We have lots of Christmas goodies here...but I don't know anyone who starts making them in early October...we still have Halloween and Thanksgiving to contend with. The Christmas goodies will start presenting themselves right after November 28th.