Potluck Salad

Options
mysi019
mysi019 Posts: 55
I will be attending a bbq next weekend at my friends house and she asked me to bring a salad to pass. Anyone have a recipes for salad that i can bring that is healthy. Nothing with fruit since she is making fruit on a stick already. I usually bring potatoe salad to get togethers but that has so much mayo in it.

Replies

• sophiesolitaire
    Options
    you can make potato salad, just use helmans EXTRA light mayo, :D
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I make a really refreshing cucumber salad:
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1/2 cup cilantro
    3 cucumber
    2 jalapeno (optional)
    2 bell pepper, green and red
    1 onion
    2 tomato
    1 cup rice vinegar mixed with 1/2 cup water
    Sugar to taste (some people like sweet some don't especially with the jalapeno)
    I use 2 tablespoons of sugar to 1/2 cup of vinegar***

Combine vinegar and sugar and water
    add salt and pepper to taste
    chop everything up put to gather poor vinegar over and let sit over night.(optional Its just tastier after sitting) and easy have fun!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Three bean salad maybe.....?

Or are you looking for a salad with leafy greens in it?
  • mysi019
    mysi019 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestons, i guess i am looking for anything healthy and easy (?) too.
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    Actually a cabbage and broccoli cold salad is less calories & carbs...tasty too!

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard 1 teaspoon maple syrup 1 clove garlic, minced 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest salt and pepper to taste 1/2 cup canola oil 1 (16 ounce) package broccoli coleslaw mix 1/2 cup dried cranberries 1/4 cup chopped green onions 1/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions
    In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, garlic, and lemon zest. Gradually whisk in the canola oil while drizzling in a fine stream.
    In a serving bowl, combine the broccoli slaw, dried cranberries, and onion. Pour the dressing over, and toss to coat evenly. Chill for at least 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle pecans over the top just before serving.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 196 | Total Fat: 16.9g | Cholesterol: 0mg
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This is the one I usually make, because it's super easy. I don't measure anything, just eyeball it.

Small tomatoes, quartered
    Cucumber, cut into large chunks
    Red onion, sliced
    Yellow Bell pepper, sliced
    Zesty Italian Dressing

Toss all ingredients in large bowl and done. Can be served cold or room temp.
  • Dianeb412
    Options
    you mentioned that you dont want to bring fruit- but lately I have been adding fruit to my salad..for example
    I love Mandarin oranges in my salad with spinach leaves, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, carrots, etc.
    I use a fat free raspberry vinegarette dressing
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou: