Incline Treadmill Question

Options
Hey Guys --- Hoping I can get some insight from some of you.

I know running is the best way to burn calories, but I have issues with my knees and my feet. So over the last three weeks, I've been walking on the treadmill at a 15 incline while doing a 3.5mph pace for 45 minutes. The machine says I burn over 1000 calories, so I stop and do my weight lifting. I don't know for certain if the calorie burning is accurate. I weigh 289 @ 18% body fat. Can anyone help me? Just curious of how accurate it is since i hold onto the top of the machine. I am covered with sweat when I get off so I assume it is working to a point.

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I would say at your size the numbers aren't too far off, maybe a little high. I think your BF% is a little off though.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My treadmill is WAY off from my heart rate monitor burns.

When I run @ 6MPH for 3.1 miles (roughly 32 minutes) my treadmill says 560 cals, my heart rate monitor reads 322.

Also - why are you holding on to the top of the machine? Let your arms move naturally, if you can't handle the incline/speed, then adjust it so you don't need to hold on. :-)
  • Christineturner7
    Options
    I would reduce the incline on the treadmill. I overheard a lady in the doctors office last week stated that she now needs foot surgery because she walked on a incline all the time and it cause ligments damage in her feet. Try placing your treadmill setting on Random at a 9-10 level and this way your speed and incline will adjust automatically and you will still burn calories and a Great Workout!!!
    It is cheaper then surgery and not being able to exercise at all.
  • jcan64
    jcan64 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you for the help.