All Natural Sea Salt

I drink about a gallon of filtered water or more a day. I was told that since I drink so much water, I should sprinkle a dash of of all natural sea salt in my hands and swallow it with a drink of water. I should do this every 16oz or so to make sure I am not flushing out my organs.. And to maintain my PH Balance... Again the salt should be unrefined all natural sea salt... I don't have a diet that is heavy in sodium usually. Has anyone else heard of this or practice this.?

Am I missing any facts that would make a better assessment?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    How much sodium are you getting per day?
    Sea salt only has trace amounts of minerals that table salt doesn't. It's 98% sodium chloride. Plus table salt is iodized ensuring you get enough iodine.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I'm no expert but I don't think a gallon of water over the course of the day (especially if you're active) is going to put you at risk of electrolyte imbalance. Hopefully someone who actually knows can chime in lol
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    On average for the last 30 days I take in about 1900mg of sodium a day. Not counting the all natural sea salt.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    I'm no expert but I don't think a gallon of water over the course of the day (especially if you're active) is going to put you at risk of electrolyte imbalance. Hopefully someone who actually knows can chime in lol

I agree. I drink about this much water every day and the salt in my food is enough. But then again, I put a decent amount of salt on my food because I have a high salt tolerance and I love it!

Wanted to add, if you are getting headaches throughout the day or are feeling particularly weak you might try it but that seems overkill still. When I did have a salt deficit these were my symptoms and I felt much better after adding some salt in.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    On average for the last 30 days I take in about 1900mg of sodium a day. Not counting the all natural sea salt.
    You should be fine without the sea salt then. When I was restricting my sodium intake, I looked forever for a minimum daily requirement for sodium, and the consensus seems to be about 600 mg minimum without heavy exercise etc.
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    As long as you aren't running any marathons or holding your urine to win a game console, you're not in any danger. This looks to explain fairly well, but I only skimmed it.

http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/overhydration

ETA: I drink about 6-8L of water a day without ill effect or supplemental salt.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Thank you guys for your feedback.. I don't run marathons.. I do Crossfit and teach Zumba.. Workout 5-6 days a week.